• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

PICS: DIY Hydraulic Assist, Box Modifications, Ram selection, Saginaw Rebuild kit....

97XJ2 said:
Yeah i get that, I just meant does it provide dampening. So it has to be an exact match, you can't have extra travel in the ram?

The stock stabilizer is overrated. But yes, ram assist can function as the ultimate steering dampener, too.

I suggest getting a longer ram. Better to have more travel and limit it, than to have not enough and be stuck with it.

C85D4x4 said:
The stock stabilizer is overrated. But yes, ram assist can function as the ultimate steering dampener, too.

I suggest getting a longer ram. Better to have more travel and limit it, than to have not enough and be stuck with it.

The key there is to limit it. More travel in the ram then in the rest of the steering can cause and will cause breakage.

Re: PICS: DIY Hydraulic Assist, Box Modifications, Ram selection, Saginaw Rebuild kit....

Yes you must internally limit the steering cylinder because it will do one of two things if you do not - it will blow the ball joints out of the knuckle or bust off the cylinder mounting brackets...

I would make sure how ever you mount the cylinder that it is stout - there is a lot of force generated and applied to these mounts.

There is some damping effect if you use nice tight rod ends (3/4"+ to 1" bore) to mount you cylinder - if you are using pins or anything else with backlash in the mounts you just gave up any damping ability the cylinder provides.

Re: PICS: DIY Hydraulic Assist, Box Modifications, Ram selection, Saginaw Rebuild kit....

I just dropped my balls, I found 24, how many should there be?

that sounds right.

There should be half black and half chrome - they alternate as one is a few tenth's smaller... I can't remember the number (26 comes to mind) but basically if you load them in the worm and piston assembly you will have three or four that cannot go in and must be put into the recirc guide with some grease and then the guide dropped into place and the clamp + bolts secured...

I have a manual - sadly I am working on a ship in portland and it is up in seattle...

HTH

Matt

I can't get the small piston and worm gear out, it says there is a c-clip at the steering wheel shaft side, I see no c clip and that shaft wont come out either.

Ramsey said:
I just dropped my balls, I found 24, how many should there be?

Sounds like a personal issue
j/k
I just did mine.....there are only 24 balls

Ramsey said:
I can't get the small piston and worm gear out, it says there is a c-clip at the steering wheel shaft side, I see no c clip and that shaft wont come out either.

The c-clip is on the back of the ring has three indentations on it that you screw it out.

The piston should pull out, but try spinning it while your pulling it out.

If the big piston is still in the box......you might not have all the balls and 1 is preventing it from pulling out......so you need to spin the small pistion

Last edited:

Glad to know I have all my balls, time to go apply some more force I guess. Oh and that ring spun right off without taking a c-clip off.

Ramsey said:
Glad to know I have all my balls, time to go apply some more force I guess. Oh and that ring spun right off without taking a c-clip off.

Its only necessary to remove the C-clips if you are replacing the rubber shaft seals.

Big piston removed, I have 24 balls out, the smaller piston and worm gear have some side to side play but its not coming out. Should it be that hard to remove?

Ramsey said:
Big piston removed, I have 24 balls out, the smaller piston and worm gear have some side to side play but its not coming out. Should it be that hard to remove?

No it shouldn't. I suggest trying to put some sort of socket around the end of the worm gear at the other end of the box and trying to tap it out with a mallet.

Try to post some pictures so I can see what you're dealing with.

A wood dowel and a hammer made short work of it.

Got the holes drilled and ran out of time, tomorrow I'll tap it and attempt to put it back together.

Things aren't going so great.

When I put the input shaft/small piston/worm gear into the box I can just barely turn it by hand, but when I screw down that first plate even one turn it won't spin anymore.

Ramsey said:
Things aren't going so great.

When I put the input shaft/small piston/worm gear into the box I can just barely turn it by hand, but when I screw down that first plate even one turn it won't spin anymore.

:weird:

Just to make sure......you haven't put the balls in yet right?

Nope.

The input shaft turns inside the small piston right? My "rebuild kit" consisted of seals, no new bearings, could that bearing be shot that is inside the piston?

Back