• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Phrases/Words that bother you. Opinions?

Wtf, ... Idk wtf u r talkin about but Its, leik OMG.

LOL, FTW

Kthxbye

FAWKING, LOL! I hate it! It gets on my damn nerves!

I can't stand it when people say "It is what it is" to me you're just a lazy P.O.S. who does not want to try to fix the situation that you got yourself into. So you're just going to throw your hands up and say it. Douche

Also when people do not use the correct your, you're etc.

That's the one I was going to say. "It is what it is" makes me cringe.

Stealership instead of dealership. If you think you're being ripped off, then why do you go there?

Thug life. If someone is proud of living like a dirt bag, then I have no interest in hearing, seeing, or reading about it.

For some reason the words "beefy" or "flexy" don't sit well with me. I really don't know why. When I hear beefy, I think of cows and want a steak. When I hear flexy, I think of cheap flimsy plastic or something.

1. Whenever someone says "nuc-yoo-ler". Speak english, dammit.

2. Whenever some football commentator refers to the ball as "the football". Just how stupid do they think we are that they have to remind us in almost every sentence that the ball is a football?

"naw meen"

"like...."

"you know" used more than once in a sentence

"bottom line"

"SON"

I hate when people call me son like I'm their kid or something. Even more so when I'm older than the person calling me that. O man that just hits a nerve with me. I used to let it go no big deal but now I have to confront people when they do that to me. I notice alot more younger people use that.

Too vs. To
"I could care less." vs. "I couldn't care less."

Elevation vs. Altitude bugs me too. There is a step at the entrance to the CO state capitol building in Denver that is one mile high. That step has an ELEVATION of 5280 feet and an ALTITUDE of ZERO.
I know that the aviation community uses the terms slightly differently, but that's a fairly special case and pilots understand what I'm talking about (one of the biggest proponents I know for the correct usage is a LONG time pilot).

Ebonics.

Or basically, any other type of incorrect English that, when I hear you speak, I automatically want to deduct 100 IQ points. For some, that puts them at a negative number.

Also annoys me when people come up to me and try and speak Spanish to me, then give me a funny look when I tell them I don't speak Spanish. I'm as white as you can get. You are in the United States. If you have a question to ask me, don't assume/expect that I know your language.

Random.

People use it to describe things they don't understand or are surprised by. People say things like, "Wow, that's a really random place for xxxxxx." I usually respond that someone put a lot of thought into placing xxxxxx where they did. People say, "That's so random," too.

Anyone else hear this one a lot?

In a thread like this, I sure hope I wrote everything correctly.:shhh:

Everyone else's opinion.

([size=-3]The thread asks for phrases/words that bother me, as well as opinions[/size])

That's the one I was going to say. "It is what it is" makes me cringe.

I happen to use this frequently. It has nothing to do with a mess I have gotten myself into, but more one of people higher in the food chain trying to make things into something they aren't.

For example; I perform a cost estimate on a planned job, I come out with X dollars. Some dimwit upstairs says "No, rewrite your budget ifor x/2 dollars"

I work in the oil field. You can't charter a boat for a half a day, it goes on charter for 24 hours from midnight to midnight, you can't cut the boat budget in half because you are only going to use it a half day. IT IS WHAT IT IS. A phrase we use to describe the conditions that we can not change.

If it bothers you that much like, you know, gtfo or I'll like, you know type what I want irregardless.

Man I hate the word "Irregardless" :D

Back