• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Optima 34/78 Bolt-in Battery Tray

Is that the one you bought from me? It fits fine because I welded up the original hole and redrilled so that the battery wouldn't shift around. I had the same issue as the other guys are reporting with this tray.

I didn't have the plastic piece that Sideways posted a pic of however.

The plastic piece on the back is necessary for a proper fit as that was used during the design of the battery tray.

Is that the one you bought from me? It fits fine because I welded up the original hole and redrilled so that the battery wouldn't shift around. I had the same issue as the other guys are reporting with this tray.

I didn't have the plastic piece that Sideways posted a pic of however.

No. That one is destined for Jeep #2 and I haven't torn into that yet. I hadn't looked at it closely enough to notice the modification, but I expect I can re-weld it and re-drill it if I need to. I do appreciate the input though. Now I won't be scratching my head and wondering why one fits one way and the other fits another way. I spend enough of my life in a state of confusion as it is. :rolleyes:

The plastic piece on the back is necessary for a proper fit as that was used during the design of the battery tray.

What the crap!! Well now I feel dumb. I am not running that side piece. Didn't even notice it in the cover or think I needed it . Well that explains that. Yup, I'm a dummy. Lol. Thanks for clearing that up DB

I should have a battery tomorrow, Napa had to order it. But I do think that was the issue with the tray not fitting right.

I will make sure to do a quick manual for future tray orders... :rtm:

If you call optima they will send you the little plastic thing for free. At least they did for me.

The only issue I had with my tray was that the bolt it shipped with for the hold down was much too short for the hold down that came with the Optima. A trip to the hardware store fixed that, and for all I know Optima has changed their hold down.

When you are making a product to work with someone else's product you are very much at the mercy of the design and marketing whims of the other party.

Put the Optima-supplied adapter in and now the battery fits great. Note that you only put one of the two adapters on and you put it on the hold-down side of the battery (nearest the front of the vehicle).

I thought it fit better with the spacer on the back side of the battery, where the tray has a formed lip.

It is a lousy place to try to shoot a picture, but that lip and the ridge in the spacer seem to line up well. I don't have a useful shot down the front, but I think the hold down is better off closer in to the battery and I think the spacer puts it further away from the battery.

FWIW, this is my arrangement:

DirtboundBattTray2OPT.jpg

I decided to make the shaped washer over the plastic hold down just as a matter of insurance in the event of a rollover. I just don't trust plastic all that much, especially after it gets brittle with age and heat. That's just me.

Interesting, perhaps differences in revisions. The snap-on lip will not fit under the steel battery tray on mine at all. The steel grabs the lip of the battery itself quite well though and the spacer up front allows the clamping block to hold everything in place.

:dunno:

We will have to wait for the designer to come up with that instruction sheet.

At least we are showing him all the different ways we can get it wrong.

:gee:

I do have a few in stock, you can sue the promo code "forum" for the discount.

I did pick up a red top and can see some slight changes I want to make, but I am waiting for my new CNC table to get here so I can cut a few test parts out before mass producing them.

I do have a few in stock, you can sue the promo code "forum" for the discount.

I did pick up a red top and can see some slight changes I want to make, but I am waiting for my new CNC table to get here so I can cut a few test parts out before mass producing them.

Ordered today. Thanks.

Well that is a bummer.

I am glad I picked up Lurch's old one when I did.

Back