• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OK, so who's actually going to Moab?

Looks like I won't get out of San Francisco until Saturday afternoon. Not sure which route is best, I-80, Hwy 50 or down south through Vegas. My sister is coming with me bringing her RV so it will be 55mph all the way. Plan on rolling into Moab Monday afternoon.

The decision was get a SYE or go to Moab. SYE will last as long as the XJ but the memories of Moab will last a lifetime.
Tom
Born to be Mild

80 is longer than 50 but faster. On 50 there are a bunch of mountain passes to go over but the drive is beutiful.
Tom, are you towing the 2000 behind the RV?

Jes

Jes,
No driving the XJ. The RV is actually a 22' travel trailer behind a 2WD Tahoe. She has vacation that week and her & my father had no where specific to go, so instead of me tenting it, I'll be sleeping on a couch in exchange for driving them through Arches NP.
When you leaving?
Tom

Everyone headed to Moab Friday morning is welcome at my house on Thursday night for marguaritas, fun and last minute welding.

:party:

I think we will start the trek Saturday and head to Provo (via 80) visit some family and friends and show up in Moab Monday afternoon.

I am up for all the good trails, Cliffhanger, Pritchet, Upper Helldorado, and Boulder alley, bring it on Moab :) I am going to try trailering my junk :)

Hehe, Gary can borrow my special Upper Helldorado skid plate.....

CRASH

Gary E said:
geesh, how bad could it be Its only like 1/2 mile or so :eek: :D

In the immortal words of Jack(Goatman's dad)...
"Ah, it should take maybe 45 minutes or so, it's pretty short." :D :D

Jes

We'll miss you.

CRASH

FarmerMatt said:
I have a cabin researved in the camp ground that I won't be able to use this year. If anybody would like to assume these reservations either post here or PM me & we'll work out the details. Better hurry though because these things have been sold out for months now & I'll make you a heck of a deal. ;)

Matt

Umm, would you care to elaborate on just which campground these reservations are at? :rolleyes: :flipoff:

Just giving you a hardtime, Mr. Andrews.

Have fun everyone, I wish that I was going to be there to entertain everyone with my inability to keep it on two wheels and screaming like a little girl as I go over!

SeanP

Boatwrench said:
Looks like I won't get out of San Francisco until Saturday afternoon. Not sure which route is best, I-80, Hwy 50 or down south through Vegas. My sister is coming with me bringing her RV so it will be 55mph all the way. Plan on rolling into Moab Monday afternoon.

The decision was get a SYE or go to Moab. SYE will last as long as the XJ but the memories of Moab will last a lifetime.
Tom
Born to be Mild

Recommend taking I-80. Jes and I took 50 last year and towing with my Tundra was pretty slow going up the 14 7000 foot passes along 50. 50 is a very pretty drive, tho, just a lot of slow climbs (2nd gear 4K rpm in the Tundra).

SeanP

Gary, the whole "strip" of Moab is only about 2 miles long. Slickrock Campground is on the North end of town, just after crossing the CO river. Most trail rides meet up at the grocery store (forget the name) about 1.5 miles from the camp ground entrance. Yes, campground has ice.

Sean

Gary E said:
How close is a grocery store? I presume ice and other essentials are at the campground.

Gary, we're right in town. You can find anything you might want, including camping equipment, restuarants, parts stores, repair shops, groceries, gas. The official runs will leave from designated staging areas. Those who would like to run something that's not on the schedule will meet at City Market and leave from there. City Market is the main grocery store, and is very well provisioned, with a good bakery and a good deli.

I'm running Cliffhanger on Tues and Pritchett Canyon on Wed, neither are scheduled runs. We'll have to figure out a time to get you newbies on Hell's Revenge, and maybe a quick run over to the Crack and Double Whammy. A Thursday night Hell's Revenge run should work, but it would be nice to run it in the daytime, too. With only a few rigs it can be done pretty fast. If you guys will be there on Monday, we should do either HR or Rusty Nail/Golden Spike.

Actually, I think Lower Helldorado would be a better night run. You kinda have to run Hell's Revenge in the day light to get the beutiful scenery and the full pucker factor going. ;)

Jes

Jes said:
Actually, I think Lower Helldorado would be a better night run. You kinda have to run Hell's Revenge in the day light to get the beutiful scenery and the full pucker factor going. ;)

Jes

Ahhh, driving those fins and making those hard turn to a steep drop off (with your lights shining into space), and running Hell's Gate with no spotter, and Tip Over........all in the dark, has a pretty decent pucker factor. :D :D Also, Dump Bump is the same, dark or light.

You just miss the great scenery.

Back