• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil - What'll this do??

Actually, if you do some searching most modern oils are actually only approx. a "10 weight" at NOT (normal operating temp.)

The only way to know for sure about your oil, new or used is an oil analysis. The 2 that I know of are Oil Analysis Lab, based out of Spokane,WA and Blackstone Labs.

Regardless, this info can tell you things about the oil and your engine/trans/diff, etc. before you would see signs normally.

Saying "oil is oil" just shows ignorance.

That's rather rude. If the oil meets the current or recent API engine oil specifications, it meets specifications.

All vehicle manufactures require the use of oil that meets API specifications for warranty conformance purposes. They do not specify a certain brand of oil, any special additives, nor do most require the use of synthetic oils.

The only oil I personally wouldn't use is reclaimed oil recycled and refined from drained motor oil.

I dont like the idea of previously used motor oil either.

But when you really think about it, being in someone else's motor was probably cleaner than sitting in the dirt for a few million years.

Oil is not oil and there is definitely a difference in brand and oil specifications. ZDDP content, longevity, shear strength, etc. The Walmart branded shit is not the same as Brad Penn, or Joe Gibb's or Amsoil in anything but the term oil.

However, what the OP did won't hurt anything.

Walmart sleds pretty much every brand oil... They are almost always cheaper than anywhere else.

Bob is the oil guy.com is the site to go to for all things oil related, and more. There are some smart dudes on there. But be careful. Mythology won't work with those guys.

That's rather rude.
Not my problem.
If the oil meets the current or recent API engine oil specifications, it meets specifications.
Barely meeting is one thing and exceeding is another. Not to mention that the current API spec is not a good fit for out engines.
All vehicle manufactures require the use of oil that meets API specifications for warranty conformance purposes. They do not specify a certain brand of oil, any special additives, nor do most require the use of synthetic oils.
There are manufactures that specify or recommend a certain brand of oil. Several manufactures also have their own specifications for oil above the API standard. And, yes, they do specify synthetic.

That's rather rude. If the oil meets the current or recent API engine oil specifications, it meets specifications.

The only oil I personally wouldn't use is reclaimed oil recycled and refined from drained motor oil.

That was one of the things in the link I posted... you can still buy non-conforming oils so if you go to the 99c store and buy some SB rated oil, and put it in your rig, you're likely to damage things.

As far as recycled and reclaimed oils go, I was using Valvoline's NexGen oil for a while, but I havn't seen it recently. Had zero problems with it.

I would never boldly tell someone what they should or should not do, nor insult them, but I will suggest that they should further research their options, or perceived needs. I would not run recycled oil, but anybody else can if they wish. I see no need for high cost boutique oils or synthetics in the Jeep 4.0L, but anybody that feels that there is a benefit in relation to the cost, can certainly go right ahead. I mearly stated that I have in excess of 200,000 miles on an engine that received regular oil changes of widely available oil brands, and even store brand oils.

. Barely meeting is one thing and exceeding is another. Not to mention that the current API spec is not a good fit for out engines.

If it meets specs it meets them. Fully explain why a 1960's design low compression, low rpm engine NEEDS any special oils, synthetic oils, or extra cost additives.

. There are manufactures that specify or recommend a certain brand of oil. Several manufactures also have their own specifications for oil above the API standard. And, yes, they do specify synthetic.

That is true, but I thought we were discussing Jeep 4.0 L oils ?

Last edited:
That is true, but I thought we were discussing Jeep 4.0 L oils ?
Tim_MN said:
Your brought it up, not I.
I was using Valvoline's NexGen oil for a while, but I havn't seen it recently. Had zero problems with it.
Oil analysis?

Analysis? It's an API SN series oil, so it meets all current standards, it's not like it was some engine oil that was run through a filter and returned to the new market, the feedstock for it is used motor oil that's fed back into a refinery along with fresh crude.

Always good to have results for clean/fresh oil for comparison to after you run it.

Analysis? It's an API SN series oil, so it meets all current standards, it's not like it was some engine oil that was run through a filter and returned to the new market, the feedstock for it is used motor oil that's fed back into a refinery along with fresh crude.

Yes, you said its doing well, but you have no real idea what it is actually doing.

Back