• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

not a jeep but still need help! Taurus

jeeptree

NAXJA Forum User
ok so I am guilty of looking at buying a Taurus instead of a jeep. Here's the deal I got laid off last month and I start school next month I am looking for a car to save on money. I was surfing Craigslist today and seen a 2000 se but it has a bad transmission so he says. I am going to call him tomorrow and ask what happened and if its running at all.
I know from working on my jeep that it isn't always the trany but can be a sensor. I was wondering if its even worth looking in to the guy is only selling it at 950.00
should I look in to it, or just stay away?

It's been my experience with Ford Taurus that it IS the transmission. They are kind of known for that. Call some junkyards and find some prices on a used tranny. Assume that when you buy it that it will need it. If it is still worth it to you, then buy it.

Thanks man I have heard myself that the trans in these cars don't last forever but hey its worth a look to see. I was scared when my tps went in my jeep a yr ago I truly thought it was the trany. With a little help from here and I was up and running again.

A Taurus really? Why not get a more reliable car like a Honda or a Toyota?

Yeah but im gonna tell you right now you get what you pay for... Id save your money and get something a little better. My Uncle had an 03 Taurus and it was nothing but problems.

my .02

I used to run a Plant where we had several Tauruses as sales vehicles, the transmissions would go at just over 120k we paid to replace a couple $1800 I think it was at a shop. We got a lot of miles out of the car after that. It's not a bad car if I hadn't driven one for 15 yrs. I'd probably own one today. Trouble you'll have if you look for used anything over 100k might be on it's way out already. Maybe a low mileage wreck.

For the money a Taurus isn't a bad car. Any reasonably priced Honda or Toyota will literally be falling apart aside from it's engine/trans (it'll be much older also). Depending on the miles, condition, and how much you can work the guy down, it might be worth getting a rebuilt trans put in, check ebay for good deals with a warranty. Also, find out which 3.0 liter it has. The vulcan OHV engine seems to last forever (much longer than the DOHC version) with decent maintenance. Good luck.

Back