• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NOT a budget buggy build

Is there not a point where its just too low.

Ramsey said:
Is there not a point where its just too low.

Sure, but 23" isn't low at all, in fact that is the frame clearance on an XJ with an 8" lift and 35's. My XJ has 7.5" lift with 37's and I'm at 24" under the frame. My buggy with 37's is 23.5" under the frame. Many (or most) of the comp guys run 18-20" belly clearance which is great for the smooth and steep obstacles they do in competition but it's too low for the rock garden type of trails we run for recreation type rock crawling.

Lincoln said:
I didn't know you could bind one that good and not have it self destruct in 2.6 seconds.

How did you obtain your figure of 2.6 seconds?

I think we should call up the discovery channel and get the mythbusters to do a special on this.

Goatman said:
Sure, but 23" isn't low at all, in fact that is the frame clearance on an XJ with an 8" lift and 35's. My XJ has 7.5" lift with 37's and I'm at 24" under the frame. My buggy with 37's is 23.5" under the frame. Many (or most) of the comp guys run 18-20" belly clearance which is great for the smooth and steep obstacles they do in competition but it's too low for the rock garden type of trails we run for recreation type rock crawling.
I guess the tires just screw up the scale of it.

xDUMPTRUCKx said:
How did you obtain your figure of 2.6 seconds?

I think we should call up the discovery channel and get the mythbusters to do a special on this.

Richard is old and slow and it takes that long for his foot to work after he thinks about pushing on the gas. :D

Goatman said:

This made me realize that I'd never actually measured mine. I'm at about 24-1/4" to the frame rails, but about an inch and change lower than that with the crossmembers all installed...flat belly skid though. I guess it's right in the ballpark with those numbers then. (39.5s and unknown lift)

my buggy is 22 1/2" the the bottom of the skid and the highest point of the cage is 73" on 39"s. I'm happy with the height of both so far.

This thread is 2 years old, but I thought I'd update it with some new pics, as the buggy looks a lot different now with the skins, and bigger tires.

Real stout crossmember/belly skid from Scrappy and Capt Ron at Rigwerks.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

A small storage tray and the rear winch.

standard.jpg

Inside.

standard.jpg

New steering and suspension in the front. 3 link with panhard and inverted Y steering with the assist ram behind the axle.

standard.jpg

This is still an old pic, but it shows much of the steering. The panhard is now straight, and the limit straps are now on each side rather than in the middle.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Race ready for King of the Hammers '08.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

It's nice you kept the grill

:thumbup:

I have to find a good pic of it, now it has two round headlights inside the grill. :)

moab08058.jpg

DSCN2478.jpg

100_4398.jpg

How thick is the layer of dust on the XJ, from sitting while you play with the buggy?
Haha the one that just sits in the backyard that Rich hasnt uncovered in years? ahaha
Come on rich sell it to a needy wheeler.:rof:

Buggy looks good tho. I need to get my 1 tons finnished so we can get out and go wheel'en.

I just looked through all 30 pages of this build for the first time.... freekin awesome man. It looks killer with the yellow panels!

Very nicely done sir.

~James

Back