• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No Sway Bar Club......

crazyjim said:
FUR SUUUURIOUS.

jim_chick1.jpg

:D

:cheers:

ManBearPig said:
No sway front or rear sitting at 4" . RC.
Did you get 4" out of those springs I sold you? What you do, take out the motor?

BTW, I don't think I'm reconecting mine.

anything over 5" needs a sway bar unless your trailering, or never go over 20mph in a turn...

imho its irresponsible to spread your anti anti swaybar propaganda, there are impressionable minds about. AT LEAST state that your rig never goes over 50. and is primarily a rock crawler.
if you continue, younger unexperienced minds will think no sways is fine, they will find out differant as i did... on my side in a smokey parking lot on a friday night, no swaybars to be found

Last edited:
also, for those complaining about the currie prices...(i am one, it is WAAY overpriced...)
you COULD build one yourself from stock car parts... IMHO, you could get better end result DIY.
http://stockcarproducts.com/ftsusp.htm
(linked from a RDC thread http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38321 not sure if link works to unlogged in users... but whatever)
the concensus from rdc is to stay away from the aluminum arms, the female splines strip out on the arms (in race conditions, anyway)

Last edited:
no front or rear sways for 2 years! and love it with 4" of lift

xcm said:
also, for those complaining about the Currie prices...(i am one, it is WAAY overpriced...)
you COULD build one yourself from stock car parts... IMHO, you could get better end result DIY.
http://stockcarproducts.com/ftsusp.htm
(linked from a RDC thread http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38321 not sure if link works to unlogged in users... but whatever)
the concensus from rdc is to stay away from the aluminum arms, the female splines strip out on the arms (in race conditions, anyway)

How would you build one and come up with a torsion bar that is correct and would really work right, you just can throw any one in and have it work, I can tell you that when Currie developed it, they spent tons of time and money, tested tons on different ratio's, bar torsion etc..the cost of that torsion bar is not cheep. Just buy the bar and tube, it's cheap.

xcm said:
anything over 5" needs a sway bar unless your trailering, or never go over 20mph in a turn...

imho its irresponsible to spread your anti anti swaybar propaganda, there are impressionable minds about. AT LEAST state that your rig never goes over 50. and is primarily a rock crawler.
if you continue, younger unexperienced minds will think no sways is fine, they will find out differant as i did... on my side in a smokey parking lot on a friday night, no swaybars to be found

uh oh. And I thought this thread was at its worst when Blacksheep were involved. haha:gag:

xcm said:

Dude, I agree with you 100% there.

I've said this for many years. Just because a person has run without a front sway bar without hurting themselves or others YET doesn't mean that they should suggest that others should ditch their swaybar and not be concerned about it.

A couple of years ago, after a day of wheeling, I was driving on a windy road. I had "forgotten" to reconnect my front swaybar and I proceeded to lift my right front tire on a left hand curve. That was NOT fun.

Every rig is going to be different. So please don't encourage other people to take off their swaybars.

This whole thread is very silly. But I still love you guys.

I always ran a sway bar on the street with my RE and Rancho coils, with both ProComp and Sway-a-Way shocks in front and Rancho 9000's in back. That's with 7.5" of lift. If I was willing to drive on the street with the 9000's turned up all the way, it was OK but I usually didn't do it except for short trips.

Now, though, with the cut down Skyjackers and 7100's I don't need it anymore, and I've taken it off. I also built a new rear pack with an MJ main and 1/2 ton Chev leaves with 5150's, and the combination is stable enough I don't need the sway bar anymore. Before this, I used the sway bar, and would never recommend to anyone else not to use one.

BTW, I'm pretty sensitive about handling characteristics, and if it wasn't really good without it, I'd still be running it.

Listen guys I am not encouraging to run one, or not, I am simply asking who runs without, and what setup do you have...that is all

I AM NOT Encouraging NO SWAY, just simply asking around, who runs with, and who runs without.

And I will disagree with some of you here, with properly set up coils and shocks, you can run without one. I just drove to and from Barstow last night, doing 65-70mph without mine, however, I feel my suspension has been setup pretty well.....

tcm glx said:
Listen guys I am not encouraging to run one, or not, I am simply asking who runs without, and what setup do you have...that is all

I AM NOT Encouraging NO SWAY, just simply asking around, who runs with, and who runs without.

And I will disagree with some of you here, with properly set up coils and shocks, you can run without one. I just drove to and from Barstow last night, doing 65-70mph without mine, however, I feel my suspension has been setup pretty well.....
I have to agree with Tony here, make your own decision to run with or with out one based on your rig and your driving style. I had 4 inches of lift and some super stiff front and rear springs so taking my sway bar out was really actually to soften the ride some, but even then I was cautious on high speed turns even though it never felt like I was even close to loosing control or lifting a tire BUT You need to remember it can still happen no matter how good a driver how good a setup or how little you drive it. Honestly when in doubt error on the side of caution and use a sway bar.

Some thing I don't think was brought up in this thread is in some areas of the country removing the sway bar is illegal and opens you up to liability issues in most other areas. I know MA, PA, and NH both will not allow your vehicle to pass inspection with out all factory installed safety items and the anti-sway bars are on the list.(you would be surprised at some of the items on that list too its kinda nuts)

Many vehicles drive just fine without swaybars, and Tony is right that with the right set up they drive ok, but put that same vehicle into a panic situation at speed on the asphalt, you will be in deep shit!

tcm glx said:

I know man, simple thread, who runs without one, how'd this shiat get out of hand and everyone start freaking out?

paulhead said:
I know man, simple thread, who runs without one, how'd this shiat get out of hand and everyone start freaking out?
cause its NAXJA :D everyone gets butthurt every 5 mins over here it seems lol.

Back