• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newbie - Just got an MJ

Only total 'tards would run larger tires on the front and stockers on the back!
weird.jpg

Re: Newbie - Just got an MJy low.

I should have it out in the garage. I'll take a look.

if he does not I'm pretty sure I have the one from mine. it's rusty, but the cable was in good shape and it worked when it was taken off.

Re: Newbie - Just got an MJy low.

Still got your tire winch?

We need one.

Sorry, I just tore the garage apart and couldn't find it. I would not normally throw that kind of stuff away. But I think in a fit of insanity, I must of tossed it in the dumpster.

Latest list of stuff we need to get if anyone has/sees anything out there in the junk yard:

Junk Yard List
MJ Rear Bumper Brackets
97+ manual window crank
Passenger Side marker lens (black)
Winch for rear spare tire

Got up early this morning and made a custom bend to the drag link to clear the sway bars:

IMG_2525Large.jpg

Went out and got the MJ smogged and titled. It passed emmisions :party:

Came back and put the new rubbers on:

IMG_2528Large.jpg

IMG_2526Large.jpg

Got the new track bar bracket on

IMG_2531Large.jpg

Tonight Jim is supposed to come by with the track bar so we'll be on the road tomorrow.

Last edited:
Well not a bad day of production on the rig. I bent the drag link to clear the sway bar disconnects, reinstalled, tightened the leaf bolts and did a ghetto alignment. Then it was off to get a smog certificate and register it in my name. Next I hit the wrecking yard for track bar mounting bolts and a few misc other bits. Installed new tires and some piaa fogs i had laying around and installed license plates front and rear. back to the yard for a track bar bolt and some factory fog light plugs, a stop at kragen for a zinc additive for crackers oil change on the new stroked 4.6, then i finished the wiring on lights and replaced a break light bulb(backup lights still not working though bulbs are good). With any luck i will have a drivable truck tomorrow.:cheers:

The back up lights need the wire on the side of the trans connected. It was missing when I sold the MJ to Jim because the terminals broke when I pulled the engine and trans to swap the current motor in. You need the wire from the side of a BA/10 from the junkyard.

The back up lights need the wire on the side of the trans connected. It was missing when I sold the MJ to Jim because the terminals broke when I pulled the engine and trans to swap the current motor in. You need the wire from the side of a BA/10 from the junkyard.

Thanks. If i am at the yard and see one i will grab it. Might not get to that if the Ax15 makes it in soon though. But good to know.

whats the rear spring setup? shackle length? shackle angle?

get an auto tranny... thank me in the rocks later :D

converting a manual MJ (or XJ for that matter) to auto is pretty involved, you need to swap most of the wiring harness out for one from an auto XJ/MJ. That's a huge pain in the ass (I know I've done it twice now).

converting a manual MJ (or XJ for that matter) to auto is pretty involved, you need to swap most of the wiring harness out for one from an auto XJ/MJ. That's a huge pain in the ass (I know I've done it twice now).

With a low enough TC set up Beamer should be fine.

Last edited:

but those are the weekends you remember when you're old..."hey remember that time we totally XXXXed the wiring on that old MJ"...:D

With a low enough TC set up Beamer should be fine.

I suppose... I keep forgetting you are going to try and do a doubler or something...:cheers:

The eagle has landed

IMG_2538Large.jpg

Last edited:
nice... I'm running almost the same setup... RE Standard duty, onto a double shear bracket.

FYI the axle side mount causes suspension bind for the passenger side droop... its a problem with the shitty factory suspension geometry. not enough lateral movement allowed.
you may want to look at re-designing the mounting location to realize the full potential of those nice shocks :D

nice... I'm running almost the same setup... RE Standard duty, onto a double shear bracket.

FYI the axle side mount causes suspension bind for the passenger side droop... its a problem with the shitty factory suspension geometry. not enough lateral movement allowed.
you may want to look at re-designing the mounting location to realize the full potential of those nice shocks :D
That's an RE HD double shear track bar.

yup. All 14 wires. It's a bitch.

The hardest part is changing the brake pedal and shifter assemblies.

yup. All 14 wires. It's a bitch.

The hardest part is changing the brake pedal and shifter assemblies.

And steering column, and throttle body and something else....

That's an RE HD double shear track bar.

I am aware of that... but if you take a Standard duty TB and mount it onto a double shear bracket they are exactly the same. well, one uses a heim with a 5/8" through bolt, an one uses a craptacular RE flex joint with a 9/16" Thru-bolt.:rtm:

Back