• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newbie - Just got an MJ

Right before he left for CO, Beamer was talking about how busy he has been and how we need to get this thing 4WD ASAP. We decided to set a date to have the AX15/231 in and at least under power with 2wd. The date is Jan 28th.

I started a thread on CC and am trying to figure out exactly what we need to get this AX15/231 installed. The MJ guys work with the manuals a little more often that the XJs do so I figured I'd start there.

http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27671

Any thought on the matter are greatly appreciated.

Right before he left for CO, Beamer was talking about how busy he has been and how we need to get this thing 4WD ASAP. We decided to set a date to have the AX15/231 in and at least under power with 2wd. The date is Jan 28th.

I started a thread on CC and am trying to figure out exactly what we need to get this AX15/231 installed. The MJ guys work with the manuals a little more often that the XJs do so I figured I'd start there.

http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27671

Any thought on the matter are greatly appreciated.

The current crossmember works, there are another set of holes on the frame for the aw4/ax15. You may have to tap the holes.

Flywheel/clutch are the same for both too.

James can answer most of the rest of those questions for you, give him a call.

B&M makes a short throw shifter setup for the ax-15, since his is missing. It may not be much if any more than trying to find an OEM one.

Can't help you on the clutch slave parts.

823178.jpg

Napa Part # 360047 Clutch slave cylinder assembly
Made by Dorman. $47.36

Rockauto has it for $36.79 but you have to pay shipping.

hth

823178.jpg

Napa Part # 360047 Clutch slave cylinder assembly
Made by Dorman. $47.36

Rockauto has it for $36.79 but you have to pay shipping.

hth

Good to know. I haven't crawled under to look but can I re-use the hydraulic line coming from the master cylinder?

Mike, can I get a price on some of the other goodies too? (AX15 mount, etc?)

The current crossmember works, there are another set of holes on the frame for the aw4/ax15. You may have to tap the holes.

Flywheel/clutch are the same for both too.

James can answer most of the rest of those questions for you, give him a call.

B&M makes a short throw shifter setup for the ax-15, since his is missing. It may not be much if any more than trying to find an OEM one.

Can't help you on the clutch slave parts.

Thanks.

James said he can come over for the swap and share some knowledge.

He and Rockclimber just left to go ice climbing in Colorado.

The'll be back next monday.

well, I got to ride around in the MJ... thing is HUGE, especially in the rear. it does ride pretty nice, the drop brackets help a lot, its got more lift than my xj and still rides better.:laugh2:

we made it to CO in my XJ... 15 hrs aint bad for a motor with over 170k turning 33"s and 4.56s... through 3 snowstorms.

it was kind of fun watching beamer try to put the clutch in on my auto:gee:

well, I got to ride around in the MJ... thing is HUGE, especially in the rear. it does ride pretty nice, the drop brackets help a lot, its got more lift than my xj and still rides better.:laugh2:

we made it to CO in my XJ... 15 hrs aint bad for a motor with over 170k turning 33"s and 4.56s... through 3 snowstorms.

it was kind of fun watching beamer try to put the clutch in on my auto:gee:

Glad you guys made it out there.

Yeah. We need to figure out the rear for sure. He puts such odd inconsitent loads in it that it is tough to advise what to put back there.

I am almost at the point to put a normal MJ leaf pack back there with some airbags he can quick release off when wheeling :gee:

Last edited:
Glad you guys made it out there.

Yeah. We need to figure out the rear for sure. He puts such odd inconsitent loads in it that it is tough to advise what to put back there.

I am almost at the point to put a normal MJ leaf pack back there with some airbags he can quick release off when wheeling :gee:

that... would be sweet.

so today cracker and i replaced thermostat housing seal, tightened valve cover (bolts were sitting a couple threads out all around!) swapped the closed radiator system to an open one and swaped in the newly rebuilt power steering pump with smaller pulley and higher output. Now my new serpentine squeals like hell. we tried loosening it, tightening it etc. I bought a can of belt dressing (new belt but...) i sprayed it on each pulley and it only changed the sound on the water pump pulley. still loud as hell, going to check the water pump tomorrow, any thoughts?

did you get a smaller belt? smaller pulley means you need a shorter belt, it could be you are unable to tighten it enough.

fill a spray bottle with water, put it on stream not spray, and shoot the center of the idler pulley. if the sound stops the bearing is going out. if not, spray each pulley where the belt is going over it one shot at a time. the one that stops the noise is the one you have a problem with.

did you get a smaller belt? smaller pulley means you need a shorter belt, it could be you are unable to tighten it enough.

fill a spray bottle with water, put it on stream not spray, and shoot the center of the idler pulley. if the sound stops the bearing is going out. if not, spray each pulley where the belt is going over it one shot at a time. the one that stops the noise is the one you have a problem with.

Thanks, we did get a shorter belt. i tried spraying that belt dressing on the belt it seems to be the water pump pulley is where the noise comes from took off the pulley and it spins nice. not sure what to do next

Ok so i hit up the yard today and got a few bits for my rig. any one know much about installing an ax15 got a shifter today and a cross member but not sure if i needed the bracket on the trans. I grabbed the cross member out of a 2wd and wasn't sure how it mounts compared to the 4wd model.

The 2wd cross-member should work, I think I was able to re-use the BA-10 Crossmember. If it was me, I'd go back and grab the trans mount and bracket, the AX-15 has a different mount than the BA-10.

Was the 2wd trans external or internal slave? If it's external, I'd like to go and grab the bellhousing/input shaft seal retainer

so what did you do to the poor jeep in the yard to hold its trans up without the crosmember?
:spin1:

Back