• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new comanche

im going to unload some pictures right now. some new pics with the tailgate, axles, and some random ones.

PICT0098.jpg

PICT0099-1.jpg

PICT0100-3.jpg

PICT0102.jpg

PICT0101.jpg

and i was wondering your guys opinion on my shackle setup.

PICT0091.jpg

Looking good! If I were you, I would drill new holes maybe 1" forward of the shackle holes you are currently using. I would try to get just over a 45* angle. Maybe 50* or so from horizontal. Your angle looks a bit steep, but I found that with a 45* angle or less (flatter) my shackle tends to kick back and bottom up against the frame.

i was thinking about a shackle relocation bracket, but i havent found one for the mj yet. might make my own. but yeah, i agree on the angle.

Unlike us lowly unibody shmoes, you have a nice pretty frame to work with man, Cut all that shit out, build some longer shackles and put an orbit eye through the frame... http://www.alcanspring.com/orbit-eye.htm

Raising the shackle pivot lowers the roll center.

ive never seen those things and thats a good idea. i wonder if stability on the street gets affected.

finally have 4.88s front and rear, thanks to rob for selling me his d30. i have to say, rustys long arms do not work well when trying to raise your pinion angle. had to modify the upper ca and grind an area down on the upper mount. everything works well now. going to test it out at hollister hills next weekend. my hp30 is up for sale, 3.07s, hp, vac disconnect, good brakes, joints.

Painted desert tan. Replacing the bumper with a nice low pro style bumper. 488s in and working well.. 4 low feels like I didn't let the clutch out, in first gear. Ha. looking for a set of 35-36" all terrains. also looking for 97+ interior.

3DDF0AFE-98AE-473D-A5E2-6152AF6696F4-524-0000008422652E71.jpg

Picked up some corbeau gt7s and got the driver side bracket done. Passenger side this weekend. On the look out for a 97-01 center console and a mj headliner. Having oil pan gasket issues, should be done this weekend as well. trying to get back out there soon. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357195066.263778.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357194902.193223.jpg

So have the 44 and the 9 in with 4.88s now ? sweet setup.

So have the 44 and the 9 in with 4.88s now ? sweet setup.

I wish. The 9 and 44 front are sitting in storage right now. I have to move in a month and haven't had the time to get into all that. I'm keeping an eye out for a pre-geared 3rd member and gears for the 44. The 30 and 44 in there now are at 488s though.

hey the 30/44 combo with 4.88s is sweet anyway though. I was gonna say go deeper with the 44 and 9 to like 5.13 or 5.38. the deeper the better. you can find pre geared thirds for the 9, not the 44, still have to set the gears. are you open open right now?
plus the sale of the 30/44 with 4.88s should bring in enough to cover most of the stuff for the 44/9 build, gears, master install kits, lockers, and then just find a good deal on install pricing.

hey the 30/44 combo with 4.88s is sweet anyway though. I was gonna say go deeper with the 44 and 9 to like 5.13 or 5.38. the deeper the better. you can find pre geared thirds for the 9, not the 44, still have to set the gears. are you open open right now?
plus the sale of the 30/44 with 4.88s should bring in enough to cover most of the stuff for the 44/9 build, gears, master install kits, lockers, and then just find a good deal on install pricing.

yeah im thinking about keeping them at 4.88s and running 38" street friendly tires(kevlars) when i get the axles under it. its not going to be trailered at all so id rather have plenty of gear for the highway. ill just do a 4:1 tcase if need to get lower. theres a mj on cl (lake county) right now with the exact same axles under it for sale. i asked the guy for some pics and he actually sent me a whole bunch. i will most likely be copying his set up.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/3515530481.html

dude 5.13s/5.29/5.38 will still be very streetable . I run 4.88s with 36s, light 36s, probably the lightest 36s, and it leaves something to be desired, I wish I had at least 5.13/5.29s. pay for gears once. you'll kick yourself in the arse for the 4.88s and some heavy 38s. . I cant imagine 38s and 4.88s. you engine wont work as hard to turn the tires, and your MPG will probably end up being better with 5.xx gearing. I plan on doing an atlas 4 spd , and eventually some 39 bias plys, and when the 30 finally blows up too many times, build some toy axles up, or just build a 60/14 ff c&c. since 4.88 is better than stock gears youll still be much happier .

i saw that other MJ on CL the other day . Radius arms seem easier to do than putting all the xj brackets on the 44. Basically frame mounts and youre done.

Last edited:
Back