• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new comanche

you'll regret not going to 4.88s. one of my rigs has had 4.88s for a long time, i like it a lot. the new rig has 410s , and leaves something to be desired, both are on 35s....

id go 4.88s.

About to pull the trigger on the 488s. I want to install myself but don't have much experience. Im only doing the d44 for now. I want to do the bearings while I'm in there as well. I'm getting the thick cut gears and rebuilding my tracloc with aggressive clutches. Any advice? I know I'll need a dial indicator and a torque wrench, and I have a press if needed.

there is a good list of parts one of billavistas threads on pirate, its a thorough list.
you'll also want a bearing puller, clamshell style, setup bearings(use your old ones), extra pinion nut, digital micrometer, and more

When pulling your pinion make a note of the shims that are on it stock. Also, read the bottom of the pinion (flat area facing the carrier). It should have a number inscribed on it (+2, +4, -1, -3 etc). Your new one should also have a number on it. They will help you with the initial shim pack. Most instructions will explain the hole add or subtract shim idea behind this in detail. And I second what blondejoncherokee said about the setup bearings. I used a brake hone to slightly enlarge the hole on the pinion bearing and the carrier bearings (very slow process) but there might be a better way to do this, specially if you have access to a lathe. They should slide on and off but not be too loose, or it will affect the settings. I also made my own case spreader for the carrier bearing preload, but have also done it without one too. Good luck

When pulling your pinion make a note of the shims that are on it stock. Also, read the bottom of the pinion (flat area facing the carrier). It should have a number inscribed on it (+2, +4, -1, -3 etc). Your new one should also have a number on it. They will help you with the initial shim pack. Most instructions will explain the hole add or subtract shim idea behind this in detail. And I second what blondejoncherokee said about the setup bearings. I used a brake hone to slightly enlarge the hole on the pinion bearing and the carrier bearings (very slow process) but there might be a better way to do this, specially if you have access to a lathe. They should slide on and off but not be too loose, or it will affect the settings. I also made my own case spreader for the carrier bearing preload, but have also done it without one too. Good luck

thanks for the info, but ive decided to go with golden state motorsports to do the install. $100 for a disassembled axle, $250 for the axle still in the jeep. im going to try to find a d35 to swap in so i can pull the d44 and pull it apart before bringing it up there.

they still do that?
my buddy rob that works there said they stopped?

Yeah they do. I'm probably getting it done Monday if the parts get here in time.

golden state is a good place. I've been there numerous time. they have been doing a ton of work on my 59 willys and they are setting 3 axles for me. they are legit. just all yota stuff.

finally got to drive the mj with the 4.88s and 33s. man what a difference. im definitely going to be putting the 35s back on it, after i get them balanced. the gears are a little short with the 33s. im sure it would be nice in the dirt though. also just received this in the mail..

4393a56a.jpg

hopefully getting that put on and doing some minor bondo work and primering the jeep this weekend.

Awesome. How much did you get the front clip for?

130 shipped from ebay. doesnt come with any fasteners or clips for the screws to go into. modified the original plastic grommets (that the original grill screws went into) to fit into the new header panel for everything to screw into. i need to pick up some more clips tomorrow to finish it off. the original headlight adjusters do swap in. you have to be carefull to not break the retaining clips. it doesnt line up the best, but a couple L brackets will fix that.

picked up a set of 79 bronco axles tonight. hp44 with the cast wedges and 9' rear. going to be putting them in the comanche. going to be using the radius arms with johnny joints at the end. the mjs hp30 and d44 will be going into the zj.

Man, you got a deal on those fullwidths! Good to see you got the 4.88's in. Takes some getting used to, but remember the 4.0 likes to spin!

Man, you got a deal on those fullwidths! Good to see you got the 4.88's in. Takes some getting used to, but remember the 4.0 likes to spin!

yeah, it took a little while to get used to, but im glad i went 488s! the zj has the v8 with an auto tranny, so that should be fun. the full widths have 3.50s so im going to have to gear down all over again or just swap the 33s and 35s again.

What about pics with the new tailgate I sold ya.

Back