• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Naxja NW chapter adopt a trail?

ECKSJAY said:
*edit*

Farking KUDOS to the OR/So WA group for getting the stuff done they said they would. Would be nice to see you guys set up your own Chapter so we can see your people active online again.

what does this mean?

ECKSJAY said:
Remember at NWFest 2006 when we sat around at TSF and people volunteered to handle trail cleanups down there...?

He wasnt there. Yes, I do remember that discussion. So far nothing has happened, which is a bummer. Oh well, life goes on.

For those of us interested, can you just sign a few papers and be done with it? It is appreciated. Thanks.

I do not have the history but it sounds like people talked up volunteering but when push came to shove more honorable people got left holding the bag. Would it make sense to do something smaller? In my case I would be very willing to commit a specific number of hours/ month for example but I would need some structure in order to fit it all in with my work. Perhaps if the chapter took on something doable with people volunteering for specific
duties/number of hours then we could get something achievable done which could maybe grow into something more ambitious. That way the chapter leaders might not be as vulnerable to people being flaky.

CanMan said:
He wasnt there. Yes, I do remember that discussion. So far nothing has happened, which is a bummer. Oh well, life goes on.

For those of us interested, can you just sign a few papers and be done with it? It is appreciated. Thanks.

Well, the North side stuff never happened (surprise)...but my comment was giving kudos to the OR guys who followed through.

ECKSJAY said:
Remember at NWFest 2006 when we sat around at TSF and people volunteered to handle trail cleanups down there...?
It's odd that you hold people so closely to their commitments when you have completely disregarded your own. They're volunteers, you're the President...a little different standard. And for the record, efforts were made, trail clean-ups were attended, though not many did, and progress was made. There was just no interest from the chapter leadership encouraging any further growth.

And "fawking kudos" to the Oregon guys, too. They've organized a bunch of trail runs and M&Gs...sound familiar?

-----Matt-----

ECKSJAY said:
Well, the North side stuff never happened (surprise)...

I'm not aware of past problems....probably before my time here. Let it go.

Several people have stepped up from the "North Side" and are willing to donate time for trail maintenance. This is for the good of the Chapter and our sport. Let's do it.

I talked to Hans(Xjourney) earlier this evening, and he said he would be happy to help out at Walker Valley.

-Jeremy

Megawatt said:
I'm not aware of past problems....probably before my time here. Let it go.

Several people have stepped up from the "North Side" and are willing to donate time for trail maintenance. This is for the good of the Chapter and our sport. Let's do it.

I talked to Hans(Xjourney) earlier this evening, and he said he would be happy to help out at Walker Valley.

-Jeremy

X's 2,
With Michael and myself that is 4 people who are in close proximity to the Walker trails to spearhead this. I personally will volunteer to, and have no problem making the bi-monthly or even monthly inspection runs up there.
-Ryan

Blkxjkrawler said:
X's 2,
With Michael and myself that is 4 people who are in close proximity to the Walker trails to spearhead this. I personally will volunteer to, and have no problem making the bi-monthly or even monthly inspection runs up there.
-Ryan

Blkxjkrawler said:
X's 2,
-Ryan

I really believe that what is needed is a small number to get the effort going and scheduled. Others will fade in and out as they have time, ability and desire. If we can get that core group started the rest will wheel on in. The biggest thing here is the need to know what work is allowed, needed and when it can be done. That takes one person with contact to the powers that be plus a forum and contact list to mobilize the forces.

IXNAYXJ said:
It's odd that you hold people so closely to their commitments when you have completely disregarded your own. They're volunteers, you're the President...a little different standard. And for the record, efforts were made, trail clean-ups were attended, though not many did, and progress was made. There was just no interest from the chapter leadership encouraging any further growth.

And "fawking kudos" to the Oregon guys, too. They've organized a bunch of trail runs and M&Gs...sound familiar?

-----Matt-----

Nice fliparound. I had no interest because of your piking on your 'oh yeah it'll get done' line of bullshit, Matt. How many people were standing around, anxious to get this going, when you decided to spearhead this project? How many heard you enthusiastically say that you'd handle it? You guys said that we shouldn't have to be the ones working so hard on things to get them going. I know I wasn't the only one who was relieved to hear it. Alas, when I checked your progress you insisted that it was being handled. I gave it more time and checked in...and was pretty much shrugged off.

And you wonder why I've got no interest in getting so involved so late in the game? Now it's suddenly my fault that this has happened?

Yeah, likely.

In addition, the interesting point of providing a positive public image of the sport and responsible use came up. Funny how you guys pick and choose your interests, yet hide your heads in the sand when it comes to the really important ones. I've brought up issues in the past about certain Members acting inappropriately and illegally on the trails and get private support for my positions. Oh, but when it goes public everyone hides out and kisses the asses of the accused...hanging me out to dry. Explain this to the many I keep in touch with who don't return here because of this. Explain to them why the unsafe, illegal actions are supported while their best interests are not.

I helped create this place for the positive image that we all wanted to share with others. Now I can't exactly say I'm proud of what it has become.

The current issue at hand? I'm not setting myself up for failure.

"We apologise for the inconvenience" - Douglas Adams

ECKSJAY said:
The current issue at hand? I'm not setting myself up for failure.

Phil,
The issue at hand is a trail adoption, the past is the past. I dont feel like this is idle fireside chitchat, or promises. You have at least 6 members adamantly stating that they are ready, willing and able to take this on. If you are not interested in particpating thats fine, but please don't hold back those that are. We are not asking you to set yourself up for failure, we are asking for a signature. If you dont want to sign appoint an official representitve of the chapter. Michael is willing, as am I.
-Ryan

Last edited:
ECKSJAY said:
Nice fliparound. I had no interest because of your piking on your 'oh yeah it'll get done' line of bullshit, Matt. How many people were standing around, anxious to get this going, when you decided to spearhead this project? How many heard you enthusiastically say that you'd handle it? You guys said that we shouldn't have to be the ones working so hard on things to get them going. I know I wasn't the only one who was relieved to hear it. Alas, when I checked your progress you insisted that it was being handled. I gave it more time and checked in...and was pretty much shrugged off.
No fliparound. I volunteered to do a number of things, all of which got done, with the exception of adopting a trail. On that front inroads were made and persued. Can you say the same about things you volunteered for, and should be held accountable for, as President?

As to the issue at hand, after attending the last Walker Valley clean-up and talking with the person in charge a few times, there is definately a need for people, and they are very enthusiastic for help and willing to support. With the number of locals willing to help, there's no reason the chapter can't proceed, signature or not.

There are also a lot of opportunities at Evans Creek (those who attended the last major planning meeting know what I'm talking about), also. PNWJeep did some trail repair at the M&G that some of you attended, but the trail system is in danger of going away. Furthermore, there is a renewed interest from the Forest Service in regards to those trails and they're throwing money at the whole area.

Don't focus this on me Phil, you were elected to lead this chapter. If I wasn't doing the job you wanted, you should have brought it up and moved forward, rather than just blaming your lack of progress on "those volunteers" who let you down so badly.

-----Matt-----

At NWFest last year (TSF) I brought up this conversation because several of us had brought up the concept of adopting a trail back channel. I was not in support of adopting a trail because I didn't believe at the time we had enough commitment from enough members to support such an activity. As a group we decided that it made more sense to support others on trail clean ups and prove to ourselves that we could handle it.

I don't know what the Portland group has done (I appologize if I have missed knowing about these activities). The Seattle group has made contact with several DNR groups, Become aware of trail clean ups, Participated in several clean ups (with numerouse people at each), and proven to ourselves (overwhelmingly) that we are ready to adopt a trail (probably more).

There has been plenty of "issues" along the way, many people have "flaked" along the way and maybe we didn't live up to some people expectations. On the other hand, we have leaned alot, and I believe that we now can go into this endevor knowing what is expected of us.

my $.02
Michael

I'll sign the damn paper, I feel where Phil is coming from, but if there's anybody I trust to get some cleanup done it's Michael. I'm not going to lie, I've given up on most you clowns too. Michael's been eager to get involved for awhile now.

Example:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=97336

I can say truthfully those of us more south are definitely a hit or miss with responsibility. You guys up north certainly seem more dedicated to the responsible side of our sport. I'll head up there when I can.

Edit: Nobody take that personal, it wasn't a direct attack and I'm not taking sides, truth be known we ain't done shit due to lack of support from anywhere, bottom line.
Edit 2: Thanks Karl for resurrecting this and explaining how easy baby steps can be.

Last edited:
Okay folks here is the issue down to brass tax.

I'm using my own club as an example, as we have many times bitten off more than we can chew.

The tamers have an adopt a highway project on rt 2 which after 3 years, we have now rescinded. We did it for a while and it has now become an "issue" more than a public service "right thing to do". There was one highway cleanup, in the rain, where only 2 people attended. Myself and our club president, but we cleaned the road and went on with our day. Most times 10 to 15 folks showed up, but that one shitty time, we just did what had to be done, no ill words were issued, we just did the task and had fun with it.

The elbe adopt a trail. For the most part, the core group of tamers show up to help with what needs to be done. We have had work parties where only 3 or four folks show up. We do what we can, and then move on. Log our hours and that's it. If that's all that shows no harm, no foul. We don't bitch about it, we just wait for the next work party to get some work done.

The other cleanups and public service projects. We do what we can with the people that we have, if nobody shows up, we do what we can with one or two folks. It isn't a big deal. We log our hours with the DNR, State, or FS and move on. It isn't a reason to bitch, it's a reason to log hours and move on.

I really think that is why the Tamers have been so sucessful, we do argue from time to time about projects, but we don't argue about the attendance. We do what we can with what we have.

Please NWC, lets adopt a trail at Walker Valley. We can sign a one year contract that I will either attend every work party, or find a delegate if my military duties prohibit me from attending. I will organize and fulfill our contract. The only thing I will post on the board is the date and tools needed. If 2 folks show up, we will do what we can and log our hours. If 200 folks show up, we will do what we can and log our hours. Not everyone can be everywhere everytime.

Let us not bicker. I for one, know what it's like to get burnt on the volunteer thing. Don't Pitch shit, no matter how hard it is. Work together, for eachother. We have a hard enough battle to fight, without fighting amongst ourselves. Please, please, please. Work together. I know it's easy to be a tough guy on the internet, I've done it xeleventybillion times myself. When it comes to land or trail issues, we need to work together. It's too easy to get too pissed on the internet.

Lets adopt a trail at walker. I'll make it work and make it happen. You will realize how "easy" it is.

Back