• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my XJ stage 2 build thread

Alright, I'll humbly review my mistakes so I can try to learn something. I do not have a torque wrench, might have been a good idea. The reason I did *most* of this stuff was to get my car to Greenville where I go to school so I can have a job, its pretty critical it would be in running condition by this time seeing that I have $300 between car payments and insurance each month, and about $400 in the bank with no income. If it makes you feel better, I did wear jeans and goggles when I drilled out the braces :)

Alright riddle me this batman, why would you modify a vehicle that your still making payments on, especially a vehicle like a jeep. Which used for its intent will probably be destroyed or lose value quickly after you start to wheel it.!!!1

-Alex

Lots of people modify cars before they pay out the full price - who buys a $30,000 mustang in cash?

The likely hood that you will total a mustang on the road is a lot smaller then the probability that you will total a jeep off road. Think about it, daily driving a nice car is one thing, offroading is probably the stupidest thing we can do to our vehicles (in terms of longevity).;)

-Alex

why would you modify a vehicle that your still making payments on, especially a vehicle like a jeep.
I kept getting stuck on "Black Diamond" trails while it was stock.

:D

real mods came after after paying it off. But that's mostly due to lack of money. :D

Oh yeah, I've learned much from NAXJA and from being willing to listen to those who know through experience, learning, etc. Nobody's telling you these things for any sort of benefit of their own, these guys won't make money from you doing things right, they are just advising someone who asked for assistance, using their experience and knowledge.

I think that since the guy i know wants $400 to do my 8.8 swap i may just wait untill i can do it myself and then tackle the job when i am able to, because for $400 i can add a lot of sweet tools to my belt :) Plus given i have done my front end setup on my own id like to do the same for the rear. For now i think ill find a junkyard 8.25 29 spline for cheap and throw that in there unlocked for a while. Ill probably put an aussie in the front end, maybe some upgraded front shafts and definitley a new set of shocks for my next step.

Then Ill wait untill i can get lucky with the 8.8 swap, my buddy is learning how to weld so maybe in a year or so he will be ready to help me out, or bring a case of beer to a buddys house for him to weld it. I might get lucky and find an XJ44 at the junkyard when i go soon, we'll see what i can find in terms of drop in axles.

Yeah no shit man, I should probably take it to a seasoned welder for that, but im still thinking i can get away with spending less than $400 on that axle build up.

$400 for what? just to take your 8.8 and move the spring perches and shock mounts? Hell I'll do it $100. You bring the parts and a helping hand and we'll knock it out in an afternoon.

$400 for what? just to take your 8.8 and move the spring perches and shock mounts? Hell I'll do it $100. You bring the parts and a helping hand and we'll knock it out in an afternoon.

New brake pads, disks, hard lines, soft lines, oil, gear Oil, paint, U-bolts, maybe a drive shaft adapter .........

:dunno:eek:h no guys, that $400 is for labor:dunno:

Yea im guessing about $500 for parts depending on what i can find. The labor involves doing everything though, including the proportioning valve swap.

Back