• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my XJ stage 2 build thread

hack? Okay bud whatever you say. and yes, they were pre-reamed like 1990jeep said. Im not going to kill anybody dumb ass, my steering is tight - you have NO case, so do us all a afavor and stop joining your buddies and just stfu.

Calm down buddy, you obviously cannot take criticism very well, did nobody love you as a child? Having those overly tightened TRE's will probably cause that poly spacer to warp and fall apart or cause the TRE to fail prematurely.

-Alex

I had an instructor that made a good point about following the manufacturer's instructions. Those instructions, including torque specs, were put figured out and put there by a group of engineers, that have no less than a bachelors degree, figuring out how tight the hardware needs to be before structural integrity begins to become an issue. So by not following what that group of engineers deemed the best, and safest, use of the hardware, you are essentially stating that you are smarter than them. Unless you're a metallurgist and a physicist, and have exhausted yourself testing what you've done, you have no right to say it will be fine. That's a gamble, and speaking from experience, you have no right to gamble with your life and OTHER'S lives.

:anon:

Someone help me out and finish this list. I have to leave for work.

So far we have:

1. Advised you not to grind without eye protection. You knew better.

2. Advised you that your gear ratio will be too steep for your tires. You knew better

3. Advised you that over-torqueing a bolt compromises its integrity and the integrity of the bushing or nut. You knew better, look how that worked out for your drop bracket braces.

4. Advised you not to use lift blocks. You knew better.

5. Advised you to take the steering box off to make the pitman arm come off easier. You knew better, it took you 2 weeks but it was obviously better.

6. I will tell you now that steering stabilizers don't fix death wobble. But I'm sure you already knew the opposite is true.

It would benefit you greatly to humbly review your mistakes and the advice given to you, you might learn that you did not, "know better":idea:You've got a long ways to grow up kid.

its reamed to far if it allowed you to crank it down like that. they say to ream it just till you see the cotter pin hole into the alignment slot in the nut for the pin.

I told him a page ago they are reamed to far no matter who reamed them!!
It may feel safe now but I will bet you that one of them TRE's come apart!

tightening a TRE super tight won't make it have less play. if the joint is good, there won't be play. if the joint is bad, there will be. it might rotate a bit side to side, but it's basically a ball joint. that's what it's freaking there for.

Alright, I'll humbly review my mistakes so I can try to learn something. I do not have a torque wrench, might have been a good idea. The reason I did *most* of this stuff was to get my car to Greenville where I go to school so I can have a job, its pretty critical it would be in running condition by this time seeing that I have $300 between car payments and insurance each month, and about $400 in the bank with no income. If it makes you feel better, I did wear jeans and goggles when I drilled out the braces :)

Last edited:
Halfassing your steering gear together is a really bad idea, but it looks like only a catastrophic failure is going to convince you of that. I hope you survive it so that we can make fun of you.

I know it was a joke (kinda like this thread), I actually laughed pretty hard when I saw the comment. Know where I can pick up a sticker like that for my Jeep?

But seriously, all my mustang buddies were amazed that I was still on the stock clutch/trans/motor at 68k miles, having an aftermarket supercharger making 10-11psi and 160whp over stock for the last 30k miles. I even destroyed one of the plugs at the drag strip (I guess from detonation in one cylinder), and after I replaced the plug, the car still ran perfectly.

Back