• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my 91 xj build thread

I don't have shyte to offer in the way of shock recommendations but this is gonna be a fun build to watch. Got it saved to the "database"!

thanks man! just got one rock slider welded on. nothing fancy, but i'm trying to keep the heep light and keep some ground clearance. it's all tig welded 3/16" wall 1.5x1.5" tubing, mig welded to the body. i'm going to add some angle iron at the pinch seam to protect it a little bit.
6776881605_d37d69248b_z.jpg

6776883675_15895e5234_z.jpg

? that seems to be how every other rock rail i have ever seen has been mounted. is there a better way?

its just my personal opinion from dealing with that issue with my friends rig.
sandwiching the framerail with a plate on the inside and bolting it through seemed to be a bit stronger

i would suggest getting some frame stiffeners put on. either buy them or just make them. 10ga is plenty thick.

with the sliders, why not cut out the rocker and weld some bigger rect tubing right to the body then add some stand offs from the sliders to the reinforced "frame"? i can post some pics of what i'm talking about if i don't make sense

I think the frame brackets and pinch seam mounts are plenty strong considering most are built that wat
is that how yours is? i saw you take some good hits to your sliders. they didnt even budge from what it looked like.

i would suggest getting some frame stiffeners put on. either buy them or just make them. 10ga is plenty thick.

with the sliders, why not cut out the rocker and weld some bigger rect tubing right to the body then add some stand offs from the sliders to the reinforced "frame"? i can post some pics of what i'm talking about if i don't make sense
i dont want to butcher it that bad right now. it's only on 31's, it's not like i'm hitting the rubicon next week.

i got them all welded up, i put some angle iron in there to spread the load on the pinch seam. should be fine, it's pretty damn stout. i'll test them out tomorrow!
pretty excited to get my tig all hooked up to get this done. no room in the shop for it, so the welder has a home outside under an awning on the side of the house. not much for weather out here so it'll be fine. the torch and ground have long enough leads to go all the way into the shop so i can weld on my bench, which i'm happy about.

how's the stock 3.07 gearing with the 31's?
horrible, i have to slip the clutch a lot even in 4 low. i cant wait to get the 4.56's in there.

took it wheeling today, had a ton of fun. tried to land on a rock rail to test it out, but no dice.

christmas came early (or late) this year. got my custom bumper brackets from dirt bound which look awesome, a bearing and shim kit from rwk haus supply, a dana 30 truss kit from ballistic fab, an explorer disk brake set for my rear d44, and fox coilovers for the 3 link rear from down south motorsports. i got some control arm brackets nearly completed so i'm excited to get this build started!
6803917869_572cc51eb5_z.jpg

yea, he put in the xj d44. not much left to the thing was actually zj, it had an xj d30 and transfer case too. same with the steering.

Back