• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Most reliable consumer automotive engine. Your opinion.

I think that's the engine that was in my buddies WRX that blew up 2 days after he bought it...

The 25D was in the Legacy and outbacks and the 98 impreza RS. They are finicky engines to say the least but if they are well taken care of they can go for a long time. Mine is at 196k.

As for reliable consumer engines don't forget about the Cummins B5.9!

The 25D was in the Legacy and outbacks and the 98 impreza RS. They are finicky engines to say the least but if they are well taken care of they can go for a long time. Mine is at 196k.

196k is just getting broken in on a good motor... :spin1:

Hmmm. My list contains only engines that WILL go a long time if they're not utterly abused. None of this iffy stuff.

Everything on my list has a cast iron head.

Do those count? All of the Cummins engines were designed for commercial applications. They were never designed for the consumer market.

I believe the 5.9 Cummins was originally designed for a stationary power generator. Made to operate endlessly (literally never shut down except to service) In that mode, it's common for them to run for a month at a time at rated power. Mounted in a pickup, that engine's loafing.

If you want to throw in commercial applications, any of the over-the-road semi engines will blow any car engine into the weeds. Half million miles? No problem.
Aircraft engines are the same. 2000 hours at 80-100% rated power? Normal operation. Take any new car built, break in the engine correctly, and set it up to run at 80% rated power,.. It'll be trash in under one tank of gas.

Take any new car built, break in the engine correctly, and set it up to run at 80% rated power,.. It'll be trash in under one tank of gas.
new cars sure... I would put money on any one of my jeeps surviving 100% rated power (or more, rated power is at 4600rpm on the 4.0 iirc, I've kept them at 5250 for hours on end before) for several tanks of gas with no damage.

My least reliable motor I certainly wouldn't do this to, mostly because I don't have a spare, or an engine hoist tall or strong enough to swap it in, or deep enough pockets to tow it home if I did blow it up that badly.

Defiantly the slant 6.

My dad used to own a repair shop back in the 60's and 70's. At that time independent shops did a lot of warranty work. They had one come in that had a slight knock and Chrysler told them to blow it up.

So they took it out back and stuck a brick on the gas pedal. Remember, this was long before computer controlled vehicles with rev limiters. After six hours of this thing running wide open they got sick of the noise and poured sand down the intake in order to get it to quit.

Defiantly the slant 6.

My dad used to own a repair shop back in the 60's and 70's. At that time independent shops did a lot of warranty work. They had one come in that had a slight knock and Chrysler told them to blow it up.

So they took it out back and stuck a brick on the gas pedal. Remember, this was long before computer controlled vehicles with rev limiters. After six hours of this thing running wide open they got sick of the noise and poured sand down the intake in order to get it to quit.

my vote would go to the 225CID slant six as well, but I find it hard to believe one ran for 6 hours at W.O.T.-- I put 320,000 on one and couldn't get more than 4hrs @ 60-65mph. The only thing that would almost let me believe the tale is that the 1bbl carb was small enough that W.O.T. might have been about 65mph! Mine, sadly was the "super six" in a Volare wagon and it had the 2bbl carb.

my vote would go to the 225CID slant six as well, but I find it hard to believe one ran for 6 hours at W.O.T.-- I put 320,000 on one and couldn't get more than 4hrs @ 60-65mph. The only thing that would almost let me believe the tale is that the 1bbl carb was small enough that W.O.T. might have been about 65mph! Mine, sadly was the "super six" in a Volare wagon and it had the 2bbl carb.
Six hours does sound a bit optimistic, but then again, I once had a (or rather had custody of a work related) 60 Valiant with the original slant 6, and I think that one would run on the promise of gas tomorrow. The Valiant, rusted to oblivion, with door hinges and tailgate broken, some damage from a previous engine fire, transmission barfing out fluid and taking a good ten seconds to engage from a stop, as well as (really!) missing half an upper ball joint, so that the top of the knuckle simply rode in the hole, finally committed suicide, by popping out of park and releasing its brake on a hill. It rolled, still running, into a tree, which put the fan through the radiator. We didn't even shut the thing off. The local dump at that time took whole cars, so I called on a cow-orker to convoy, and drove it the ten miles or so to the dump, sans coolant. It ran like a champ all the way, and didn't start seizing until I let up on the gas at the final moments.

We parked it, by the way, next to a shiny, mint, low mileage Pontiac Tempest, the original one with the first generation Iron Duke engine, with rear transmission and flexible drive shaft. I can't quite remember how many driveshafts the owner said it had had, but I seem to recall the number 5.

i would have to say sbc 350, i have 286k on the motor in my van and it pulls like a champ. doesnt burn a drop of oil.
ALso, the buick 3800 is friggin bulletproof. I had one in my first car and i tried and tried, but i couldnt kill it.

While I own three 4.0's, and love them, the engine with the highest mileage, and works the best, is the 2.3l in my 99 Honda Accord.

Till you forget to replace a timing belt. BOOM

Yup, I don't think an interference design would be on my list.

No mention of the 2.3L Ford engine, those things are pretty unstoppable as well.

I'd say the Jeep 4.0 would be near the top of the list. In addition to the many miles racked up on them over the years, they became known as one of the hardest engines to kill during the cash for clunkers program. I've heard stories of them running with missing cylinders, giant holes in the block, melted pistons, etc. Not to mention the offroaders who have hydro-locked and restarted them, run them upside down, and run them with 1 or 2 sludgy quarts of oil left while climbing a huge rock wall in MOAB. I've also heard of stories where they have been badly overheated and still survived. :looney:

4.0s seem to hold up very well. Ive had numerious high milage ones, most of which were ran really hard and i never had a problem.

Also any of the 5.9CTDs do very well.

Damn! I forgot that one too. There was only 2 things that would kill a Pinto, getting rear-ended or rust. Those were some tough little sob's
i had a couple 2.3l rangers, those motors are bulletproof.
My first one had 190k on it and i beat the ever loving piss out of it. Took it wheeling all the time too.
One time i was driving through this pond and i sucked a bunch of water in through the intake, which was nothing more than a dryer duct ram air setup (give me a break, i was 18!). I was foot to the floor pegging the rev limiter when this happened. a few minutes later, a jeep pulls me out and gave us a ride back to town. i went back with my car and pulled all the spark plugs to find that some had cracked from the pressure. EVERY cylnder was full of water (i got a face full when my buddy cranked it over). I put some new plugs in it and it fired right up. Sputtered a bit for a few minutes till the water was burned up, but it ran just fine afterwards. Drove it home, changed the oil to find that there was at least a quart or two of water in the pan. Kept driving it till i sold it, i never could kill the thing.

I would say 4.0l Lexus v8, then the 4.0l Jeep I6 then the 22re.

I head that Toyota ran that v8 at red line for 3 months straight on a stand while they were testing it. Smoothest running v8 I've ever seen in action.

And you cant beat the 22r. It just keeps on running as long as it does not get hot.

Also the original Acura Legend v6 C27a1. 6 bolt main, ran that sucker at pegged water temp for 30 miles and NEVER blew the head gasket. I've also never head of anyone ever blowing a head gasket come to think of it.

The Volvo B21, B23, and B230 motors are amazing durability-wise. The later B230's with Bosch 2.4 injection get great mileage, are non-interference, and run forever. The motor can be adequately lubricated with only 1 quart of oil in the pan (holds 4.5 quarts), and has an iron block and aluminum head. I've personally owned one with 340k miles, and one with 260k. Both cars were still running great when I sold them. A friend has one with 500k on the clock.

Back