• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

More lift or trimming?

southernoregonxjer

NAXJA Forum User
Just wondering what anyone thought. As of now it is 4.5" with 32x11.50 15R with I think 4.5 backspacing. The tires dont rub when normal driving is being done....but as soon as i flex it a little they rub.

Trimming on a 01xj, will i have any issues witht the washer bottle?

I was thinking just some 1.75 spacers and some shackles? I am planning on putting front and rear bumpers on it and a safari rack on so i know that they will drop me a little? how much is a little?

Trim, trim, TRIM! Lifting looks cool, but the higher center of gravity is a big drawback. I have been running 35's with 5.5 inches of lift...very little rubbing, and I don't even have bumpstops! Get a nice body saw if you are concerned with looks, otherwise grab a Sawzall.

Washer bottle...stop trimming when you're at the lower edge of the bottle...just look BEFORE you cut!

You definitely need to trim. I'm running the same size tires as you with only 3" of lift and no rubbing. No bumpstops either. My wheels are 4.75" backspacing, so pretty close to yours.

Mine's a 91, so it's a little different, but still, you should be able to stuff those tires with that much lift no problem, just trim it a bit.

Don't know if you still have your stock bumper or not, but here's what a little trimming can get you with your setup:

Img_2389.jpg

Img_2345.jpg

Img_0190s.jpg

Sounds like we have the same setup lift tires and year of jeep.

if the tires are straight no rubbing, but how often does that happen on the trail when flexing. My fenders were all bent up.

I just trimmed mine out and yes if you trim more than an inch your going to run into washer bottle problems.

Here is the link to what I did just last friday night.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=82995

I took off 3-1/2"s only because I plan on going to 35s and only wanted to do this one time. I'm still trying to figure out what I can do with the washer bottle at this point. I thought I would have plenty of room for it inside the motor bay, but it's alot longer than I thought.

wvredxj said:
trimming and sye??? i like being able to pull my rear shaft when need be.....
01 he already can, the seal was changed in 96.

definetly trim instead of lifting. i trimmed the crap out of my 99, so much that i just tossed the wiper bottle. you can always get one from an older one adn relocate it inside. even just trimming up to the bottle will give you enough room.

Back