• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Modified OEM tire carrier

cburns70

NAXJA Forum User
I picked up an old OEM tire swing off Craigslist for $35, it was missing the lift gate latch plates, and the bumper reinforcement bracket.
I decided to modify it for more storage.

I moved the tire mount down and turned it upside down. This gave me more room for square tubing to hold the storage box.

I didn't have the mount for the lift gate so built my own custom latch using a couple of hood springs and various other scraps. I didn't really want it touching the lift gate anyway.

To handle the extra weight. I built my own re-enforcement bracket.

The swing mount is reinforced inside the bumper and then tied into the body in three locations, directly behind the bumper, to the shackle bolt, and a brace is extended to a piece of angle iron that bolts to the nut strip and has two bolts through the "frame" rail.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Pics???

EDIT: Dang you added pics just after I posted. We dont have the same OEM tire mount......

I flipped the latch so it opens UPWARD and cant drag in the rocks. I also cut the tire support box at a 45 degree angle and flipped it over so it raised the tire about 5 inches. I added a skid plate for drops off of ledges and put a gusset behind it for reinforcement. Been rear ended twice and totaled the vehicle that hit me both times. S-10 and a Toyota. The skid plate drives them down under the rig and into the hitch. Not a scratch on the XJ but disaster for the guys that hit me. I also added a Hi-Lift Mount. I really like this tire carrier. 3 widely separated mounting points. Very stable.

Latch Reversal

Tire Box Flip, Skid Plate and Gusset.

Hi-Lift Mount

Last edited:
Back