• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Moab RMP deadline drawing near! Utah People, come in here

U4WDA

NAXJA Forum User
The Moab RMP comment deadline is approaching quickly! We need every motorized user, every wife, child, freind, etc that enjoys public lands, to comment on the upcoming plan. SUWA will have their "interests" represented, we need to cover our butts! I know its kindve last minute, but the idea just came up and we are running with it. If it proves to be sucsessful we will be doing it for all the other RMP's that are currently in the works too (Price aka SR Swell, Kanab, etc.).

Here is how it works:

We are going to host a "Comment Letter Party", ~6pm-9pm, Larry H Miller Jeep in Sandy. The U4WDA will have educated representatives there to help guide you in writing meaningful comments. We will then collect all the letters and send them in for you! Bring your freinds, bring your family, tell anyone that hasn't submitted a letter yet.

If you can't make it, send a freind... we will have info packets for you to take, add a stamp and it will be ready to mail (after you comment of course ). Start thinking of your comments now!

Again, there will be far more details in the actual thread, I'll post a link here when all the details are hammered out.

WE NEED EVERYONES HELP!!!

No offense to you as I know you work your butt off to make sure we have a place to wheel but giving us a last minute warning of something this important is well...Dumb.

Lack of planning and organization is going to be the downfall of our sport. How bout next time planning something like this say...Oh I don't know, maybe two weeks ahead of time?

It sure would make it easier to for into busy schedules.

We could use some volunteers to help us get this stuff out sooner. Hope to see you at the next meeting.

The comment information has been available on our site since early October.

In all seriousness, we've wanted to do this sooner, but when we only have a handful of actual workers and half are either out of town or sick then it makes it hard to get things done. We need more WORKING volunteers!

DrMoab said:
No offense to you as I know you work your butt off to make sure we have a place to wheel but giving us a last minute warning of something this important is well...Dumb.

Lack of planning and organization is going to be the downfall of our sport. How bout next time planning something like this say...Oh I don't know, maybe two weeks ahead of time?

It sure would make it easier to for into busy schedules.

ryanswaysign.jpg

Steve,
Thanks for the reminder to get our letters in. This will be a good opportunity to get out and meet folks in the local 4WD community as well. Nobody can make it to everything, so ignore DrMoab's negativity. I'm getting him an Orkin Enema gift certificate for Christmas..........:shocked:

It's no big deal. He's right. We should've had this organized sooner. The comment period ends 11/30, so it's down to the last couple weeks. I ain't gonna lie, it's discouraging to get comments like that from someone who knows the issues we face and is involved as heavily as Ryan, but such is life.

scoutabout said:
It's no big deal. He's right. We should've had this organized sooner. The comment period ends 11/30, so it's down to the last couple weeks. I ain't gonna lie, it's discouraging to get comments like that from someone who knows the issues we face and is involved as heavily as Ryan, but such is life.
I wasn't knocking you...seriously.

It's just frustrating because I see this happen so much in our sport. The lack of planning out ahead of time or involvement of other people in getting things like this off the ground.

I'm sure it was an idea that hit you late...I admit, I would have never thought of it. It's just frustrating ya know? You know damn well that SUWA and other groups of that ilk have had their members standing strong, writing letters, doing everything they can to make sure they get their voice across while we...as a group do not much of anything.

I know there are a few dedicated people who do. You Steve, Jeff, me and a few others who write lettters everytime we can.

Please understand that what I wrote before was no attack on you personally but more a cry of frustration because I saw it as a wonderful idea that unfortunatly would not get very far because of lack of planning.

Ryan,

In their defense, U4WDA posted this up a while ago. I think it got lost in the great crash of '07. :D

Also, Israel has had a thread going for this with TONS of good info.

Glen

I don't fault anybody for taking a while to get going on their letter. It took me 6 hour of studying the Moab Draft Resource Management Plan to come up with meaningful comments... and this was after reading the U4WDA fact sheet that summerized the 4 alternatives! Copied from Israel's thread:

Handlebars said:
With the enlightenment provided by the U4WDA Fact Sheet shared by Jeff I re-evaluated my earlier poistion and wrote a new letter to send to the Moab BLM Field office favoring Alternative C of the Draft Resource Management Plan, as it the only position favorable to us motorized recreationalists that is likely to be implemented.

I am commenting on the Moab Draft Resource Management Plan and would like my address witheld from public disclosure.

I am a frequent visitor to the Moab area an enjoy traveling by vehicle to the scenic wonders of the area. I am in favor of Alterative C of the Moab DRMP but would like to have integral parts of the following trails used in the Easter Jeep Safari added to the inventory of designated routes in Map 2-11-C:

Strike Ravine
3-D Jeep Trail
Flat Iron Mesa

I have included maps showing GPS tracks of existing routes for these trails indicated in red. Please add the missing segments to the designated route inventory on Map 2-11-C.

I support the position of the United 4 Wheel Drive Association and the Red Rock 4 Wheelers in keeping these and any other possible vehicle routes open to public use in the Moab BLM Field Office Area.

Thank you
Here are the maps I printed out and mailed along with the Comment Form to:

BLM Moab Field Office
Attn: Draft RMP/EIS Comments
82 East Dogwood
Moab, UT 84532

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Feel free to copy my letter and maps, adding any personal comments you have, and send it to the BLM before November 30, 2007. Also, if anyone has GPS tracks for Crystal Geyser and Coyote Canyon I can put them on a map for them to be added to the route inventory on Map 2-11-C.
The form to submit comments requires you to state exactly what part of the DRMP you are writing about, I think this may be discouraging to people who just want to make a quick comment and go on with their lives.

Alex, thanks for your efforts in detailing specific trails that are effected by the BLM plan. Your mad GPS skills are a benefit to us all!

Jeff

DrMoab said:
I wasn't knocking you...seriously.

It's just frustrating because I see this happen so much in our sport. The lack of planning out ahead of time or involvement of other people in getting things like this off the ground.

It's a direct result of the overwhelming apathy and "somebody else will do it" attitude that seems to be prevelant among all OHV users.

DrMoab said:
I'm sure it was an idea that hit you late.

I actually thought about it over a month ago, but we had two problems. First we were waiting on some analysis from BRC before blitzing comments. Second, we don't have enough volunteers to get a damn thing done. I was out of town unexpectedly on business. I already lose a lot of money every year by turning down contracts so I can volunteer 20 hours/week for U4WDA.

DrMoab said:
You know damn well that SUWA and other groups of that ilk have had their members standing strong, writing letters, doing everything they can to make sure they get their voice across while we...as a group do not much of anything.

It's completely unfair to compare U4WDA to SUWA. U4WDA will make about $50K this year (a record by the way), and SUWA brings in 4+ million per year. It's amazing what can be accomplished when you can pay "volunteers" and employees to rally the troops. If you want to be pissed, be pissed at USA-ALL. They have money, and what have they done for the Moab RMP?

DrMoab said:
I know there are a few dedicated people who do. You Steve, Jeff, me and a few others who write lettters everytime we can.

As you point out, writing letters isn't enough. We need to be getting others to write letters, organizing events, volunteer projects, etc.

DrMoab said:
Please understand that what I wrote before was no attack on you personally but more a cry of frustration because I saw it as a wonderful idea that unfortunatly would not get very far because of lack of planning.

You and the whole NAXJA-IC club know when our board meetings are. We'd love to have a few more self-starting, working volunteers who can take the lead on such projects. Not everyone can volunteer due to time constraints. Therefore, not everything can be done due to resource constraints. Send more money, and we'll hire someone.

Handlebars, great maps!

scoutabout said:
It's a direct result of the overwhelming apathy and "somebody else will do it" attitude that seems to be prevelant among all OHV users.
So true.

I actually thought about it over a month ago, but we had two problems. First we were waiting on some analysis from BRC before blitzing comments. Second, we don't have enough volunteers to get a damn thing done. I was out of town unexpectedly on business. I already lose a lot of money every year by turning down contracts so I can volunteer 20 hours/week for U4WDA.
I never saw anything posted up here about needing any help. When things like this come up, don't be afraid to ask. It will be just like anything else. We have over a hundred people who are either members or forum users who use our chapter forums and I know its pathetic that you might only get one or two that would help but thats better then nothing.

It's completely unfair to compare U4WDA to SUWA. U4WDA will make about $50K this year (a record by the way), and SUWA brings in 4+ million per year. It's amazing what can be accomplished when you can pay "volunteers" and employees to rally the troops. If you want to be pissed, be pissed at USA-ALL. They have money, and what have they done for the Moab RMP?
It wasn't a comparison. I was only stating the fact that we know they will be behind this with their guns blazing, we should too.

As you point out, writing letters isn't enough. We need to be getting others to write letters, organizing events, volunteer projects, etc.

You and the whole NAXJA-IC club know when our board meetings are. We'd love to have a few more self-starting, working volunteers who can take the lead on such projects. Not everyone can volunteer due to time constraints. Therefore, not everything can be done due to resource constraints. Send more money, and we'll hire someone.
Like I said, where was the call for help? Josh has been attending meeting because, frankly...I can't I get every other Saturday off and the opposite Monday. If I happen to be home on a Thursday night I need to spend it with my family...who I only see about three days a week.

U4WDA said:
The Moab RMP comment deadline is approaching quickly! We need every motorized user, every wife, child, freind, etc that enjoys public lands, to comment on the upcoming plan. SUWA will have their "interests" represented, we need to cover our butts! I know its kindve last minute, but the idea just came up and we are running with it. If it proves to be sucsessful we will be doing it for all the other RMP's that are currently in the works too (Price aka SR Swell, Kanab, etc.).

Here is how it works:

We are going to host a "Comment Letter Party", ~6pm-9pm, Larry H Miller Jeep in Sandy. The U4WDA will have educated representatives there to help guide you in writing meaningful comments. We will then collect all the letters and send them in for you! Bring your freinds, bring your family, tell anyone that hasn't submitted a letter yet.

If you can't make it, send a freind... we will have info packets for you to take, add a stamp and it will be ready to mail (after you comment of course ). Start thinking of your comments now!

Again, there will be far more details in the actual thread, I'll post a link here when all the details are hammered out.

WE NEED EVERYONES HELP!!!

vbulletin3_logo_white.gif

When: Tuesday, November 20th, 6pm - 9pm

Where: Larry H. Miller Jeep, Upstairs Conference Room, 10905 Auto Mall Drive, Sandy, UT 84070

Who: Everyone that enjoys motorized access to public lands, your mom, your dad, your kids, your freinds, etc... Bring them all!

Why: Comments are very important to the BLM during these decisions, every last one counts and is read. Don't let your voice go unheard!

What: The U4WDA will have educated representatives & piles of information there to help guide you in writing meaningful comments. We will then collect all the letters and send them in for you!

BE THERE!!!

U4WDA said:
Just was decided, there's a thread on RME as well.
Just a tip. If there is something like this that comes up and affects us locally more then nationally, post it up in the IC chapter forum.

There are a ton of people on naxja who unfortunately ignore the land use forum all together.

DrMoab said:
Just a tip. If there is something like this that comes up and affects us locally more then nationally, post it up in the IC chapter forum.

There are a ton of people on naxja who unfortunately ignore the land use forum all together.

Crap, I usually do that when I post any threads here. Sorry about that.

Back