• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Making Winterfest better

I had my waiver also. I also second was OutkastBoss said about IRO.

I had fun, no doubt there. My observations on the previous posts.

My waiver was in hand. Mr and Mrs Rev seemed surprised :D

I know folks want to hit the trail earlier, but I don't see a way to do that unless the Park will open at 8am so Registration can be done by 9am and Trail Runs can start at 9:30am.

The small trail groups were good. 5 Jeeps travel a Trail faster than 20 Jeeps, and still have time to get out and M&G on the trail.

Perhaps CB Channel coordination should be done before hand and written down so the Event Coordinator can contact stragglers?

Just to clarify, under 10 people brought their waivers. This would include my own.

Wow!
Considering the instructions were pretty explicit that you had to bring it, or else, that's pretty bad.

What about an "ON-Line" form next year? No idea what that would take, but it sounds streamlined...

Wow!

What about an "ON-Line" form next year? No idea what that would take, but it sounds streamlined...

I've thought about this, and it seems to me, that when you're a paid member here, you 'acknowledge certain rules when purchasing a membership... Could not the same idea be used through registration for WinterFest? By registering you 'agree to the terms and conditions set forth by the MWC and NAXJA BoD and that they are not liable for any harm inflicted upon yourself, your passengers, and your Jeep'.... Something like that...

99SJ 'Wrote the By-laws for his College's Resident Hall Association' Ex

Maybe have the registration forms on a link on the WF thread. I didnt have my printer up and running when I preregistered. Went to print it the day I was heading out and had no access to the form because the link was removed for Preregistration.

I agree with what has been said about the venders.

No matter how WF goes, I have a blast every year.

A few ideas that could be used in combination:

- Evening registration and tech in the campground for those not arriving morning of event...would reduce number of people needing to do both in the AM
- Tech in the lower parking lot as people line up...get people in line as early as possible and have a tech person or two for each group
- Registration in the lower parking lot...if you get everyone in one place, this may remove time from the process. Have people get in line, get someone to tech their Jeep, and then driver walks to the registration trailer. They are then ready for the driver's meeting. Give the tech person(s) for each group the responsibility to tech each rig in his group.
- Online registration with shirt/ticket pick up as you walk into dinner Sat. night
- Driver's meeting at 9:30 with hopes of heading for trails by 10. Tell people they need to be lined up at the gate at 9. If you give people time, they will take it (myself included)...people will always be late and the later the official start time, the later we will actually get going.

I am guilty of not bringing the waiver. I had mine printed and completed last year and left it in the bus, so was easier to just fill out a new one. Just didn't take the time to do it this year. I do appreciate the efforts Susie, Rev, others and understand that handing over a completed form makes the trip in and out of the trailer pretty fast. I think this should be an option moving forward and we can continue to stress the importance. However, the form can be filled out pretty quickly and I think we should consider additional areas (above) to help streamline the process.

i don't see earlier trail times being possible without adding to the stress of Saturday mornings, but i do think a later picture would be possible and maybe help.

SAM'brought my waiver'SET

- Driver's meeting at 9:30 with hopes of heading for trails by 10. Tell people they need to be lined up at the gate at 9. If you give people time, they will take it (myself included)...people will always be late and the later the official start time, the later we will actually get going.

i agree with this. if people cant get down there by 10, then thats on them. yeah some people come to WF to hang out, with the wheeling being secondary. but some people actually want to get a full days of wheeling. or maybe put it back to a "one day" event so that people can do what they want on friday.

Like was said by hadfield4wd in the crawl brainstorming thread. Have a set time and if someone gets left behind because they got entirely too drunk the night before then tough cookies. Be there at 10 or be prepared to either catch up or wheel by yourself is what I say.

Lunch at 1, easy fix. Done.

I don't see how signing the wavier takes that much time. I believe the wavier signing at registration does not start the runs any later. People getting to registration earlier would start things earlier. I am in favor of an on line wavier, we talked about it prior to this event but didn't have the time to get it going. We also need to find out if we are covered legally with this type of wavier. I hope we will never have to use any of the them, but we participate in an event that anything can happen.

We started registration earlier this year, but we let it run to 10, next year we will have registration from 8:30 to 9:30, drivers meeting at 9:45, on the trails by 10. If you're late, you can try to pick up on a run or run by yourself.

IRO had the option to set up a booth, they also had the option to be on the trails with us. Don't know why they were not. I should have had them stand up at the dinner so you would know who they were. That was my fault. This was the first year we had an event sponsor, we will try to have one next year as well, and like everything, it will get better. The first time is always awkward. :D

I think over all we put on a hell of an event, I want to do whatever I can to make next year better (should I be reelected).

I don't like the idea of getting rid of Fridays runs, we added them a few years back to give more event time because the masses were wanting more.

As far as the wavier, maybe just one that covers us and have people sign off on them and not do them individually. Like the Badlands does, everyone can sign the same one until its full and then move to the next one with a place for a bunch of signatures. Only do something different if there are kids to make sure we are covered with them.

As far as the time between trail starts and lunch, I too was thinking move lunch to 1pm.

Another option for late comers is maybe a trail leader that stays back for a bit after all the others leave to catch any stragglers. Then either run something or catch up with one of the other groups based on how the vehicles are equipped.

The BOD will consider all comments made in this thread, we appreciate them and will again work to make 2014 better!

Feel free to continue to comment until the forum is closed. We will review all of them once planning starts for 2014.

mac 'closer than you think :) 'gyvr

having set CB channels in a thread before everyone gets there might be an idea. this way any stragglers can hop on the radio and try to find the group they were planning on wheeling with.

I don't like the idea of getting rid of Fridays runs, we added them a few years back to give more event time because the masses were wanting more.

Friday runs is the best thing about this event. Face it, a lot of people have Fridays off these days and employers are more likely to let a worker take a Friday off instead of a Monday. Having all of Sunday to travel home is awesome.

If there is any way we could work out rolling Badlands registration/waiver into WF registration that would make things quicker. I think we talked about it in the past and BL didn't want to do it, but we could always ask again.

Or, how about setting up the WF reg. trailer right out front of the BL office so it can be a one stop process for those that arrive the day of? Park in line along the BL road, get teched, register for WF and go straight into BL office to pay.

None of this may not be logistically possible, just throwing ideas out.

If there is any way we could work out rolling Badlands registration/waiver into WF registration that would make things quicker. I think we talked about it in the past and BL didn't want to do it, but we could always ask again.

Or, how about setting up the WF reg. trailer right out front of the BL office so it can be a one stop process for those that arrive the day of? Park in line along the BL road, get teched, register for WF and go straight into BL office to pay.

None of this may not be logistically possible, just throwing ideas out.

My only concern with this is BL having an issue with us 'blocking' the entrance for other park guests.... Or something to that affect...

99SJ 'Always looking both ways' Ex

My only concern with this is BL having an issue with us 'blocking' the entrance for other park guests.... Or something to that affect...

99SJ 'Always looking both ways' Ex
My thoughts as well. I know that NAXJA has a lot of people in the park that weekend, but by no means the only people.

we started registration by the campground so we could start before the gates were open to the badlands. this is the reason why it is where it is, which does work better for the early risers.

the badlands have their own waiver that has nothing to do with us, I think it would be a lot to ask of the badlands to have them have our waivers signed.

again, I don't think the waivers are to blame for starting runs late. I believe attendees need to show up earlier to get the ball rolling.

Back