• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Making Winterfest better

macgyvr

NAXJA Member #120
NAXJA Member
We try every year to improve on things that we do at Winterfest.

After almost 15 years of doing this there are still things we can do to make it better. Let us know what they are.

I'll start, these are things we've already talked about doing too.

-Increase time between start of trail runs and group photo/barbie jeeps. Push group photo back to 1pm at least.

-Mark registration packets so that they are easier to read (and alphabetical order on sign in)

mac 'we are getting better' gyvr

I agree on the picture time.

My input: 'Vendors/Sponsors': I know this is a M&G above all else, but if a vendor is 'sponsoring' the event, maybe they should be able to setup somewhere... I never even met the IRO guys cause A) didn't know who they were/didn't see em on the trails and B)There wasn't anything posted in/around their trailer (i.e. banners/ displays/etc) Maybe let vendors/sponsors setup outside the VFW while we wait for the setup inside to be ready?

Re-planning Trails... I heard from numerous people on various trails that they're getting 'bored' with ______ trail...

I tried to remedy this Saturday by leading my 'green' group through some different spots on green (we got some 3-wheel moments) and then through the beginning of Orange... It seemed well received by those who participated...

I understand that weather plays a big roll in this part of the event, as well as erosion, storms, etc... BUT it can be done, as stated by me and others in the 'What I learned' thread, there's still a lot of Badlands I haven't seen...

Yep, Austin's run was fun on Sat. Made for some challenging moments and I got to see alot more of the park. Should make a yellow run that's a mix of green and orange for lightly modified jeeps.

Austin's mixed green-orange run was a hoot. That was the first time for me in the orange part of the park. Although I get the feeling that the success of the run was due to Austin having become at least in passing, familiar with the capabilities of each person (and their XJ). More like that would be good.

Having a place for the vendors/sponsors is a great idea. At least giving them the option if it wasn't offered before. Nothing like a personal connection to make you want to give someone a wad of cash.

earlier trail time starts. i think it was at least 10:30-10:45 by the time we got going both days.

This, I think some of what's gone over could be addressed by trail-leaders while heading to their trails via CB. I know the park doesn't open till 9, but I don't think its unreasonable to be on the trails by 9:30-9:45... It seemed like this year there were very few stragglers than in the past...

earlier trail time starts. i think it was at least 10:30-10:45 by the time we got going both days.

This is a good idea and sounds very easy to do. Problem is we do this and registration is going to be at 6:00 AM....

I do think we speed things up and as Mac said we have already talked about how to speed up registration.

As nice as the group trail rides are On Friday I would think that if we had a group of "Seasoned" WF people they should be able to head out without waiting for unregistered people that have not already gone through the "Drivers Meeting" you know the meeting the one where the guy in the orange vest was telling you the rules and such :doh:

Ram" BOD always looking to make this better for our members" Rod

If there was a way to encourage people to bring their completed waiver, registration would go faster.

unlikely to ever happen...

mac 'unless there was $$ involved' gyvr

Can they be signed, scanned, and attached to an email so more people have them ready in advance?

I can work on that next year....May even be a way to have it attached to the registraion site to where it prints out with the registration sheet....

Ram" we will be faster next year" Rod

If there was a way to encourage people to bring their completed waiver, registration would go faster.

Bring them or you get hit across the shin with my walking stick........might as well hit myself with it now! :D

As for the earlier start times, I think the times are ok because it really doesn't take much time at all to run trails at badlands. even with 9 rigs we made good time and had plenty left over to do other stuff.

That's a good idea too. I only mentioned signing it and attaching it because I wasn't sure if you needed an "actual signature" or if there was a way to just fill it out online.

Every year I print out the form and have it all filled out ready to go...

Then, every year, I either forget it at home or I leave it in the tow rig and it's just quicker to re-do it then run back to camp for the form.

Maybe someday I can break the habit!! :doh:

I agree that having custom trail runs is a great idea. like a really great ideal.. and use more of the day for trail runs on Saturday maybe plan two runs Am/Pm plan to finish for open ride after 2:00pm (as and option of course)

Austin's mixed green-orange run was a hoot. That was the first time for me in the orange part of the park. Although I get the feeling that the success of the run was due to Austin having become at least in passing, familiar with the capabilities of each person (and their XJ). More like that would be good.

Having a place for the vendors/sponsors is a great idea. At least giving them the option if it wasn't offered before. Nothing like a personal connection to make you want to give someone a wad of cash.

I agree on the vendor having stuff to display etc. If I was them I would have had something set up in that monstrosity of a trailer.

And the raffle ticket idea is a great idea to speed up registration.

I Had Mine !!

I also agree about the vendor thing i was kind of exited to see what they brought and figured id get a good look at their rigs and get to meet them and ask a question or two .
I kinda figured they would have like a tent set up with some flyers or have something to say at the drivers meeting or banquet.

Outside of getting a bottle opener and a sticker or 2 i might've not even known they were there

Last edited:
Back