• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lien Sale Process

If he gets the lein paperwork, wont he now be liable for the back registration fees if the cars were not registered as non-op? That could be spendy if so and not worth the effort.

For that amount of time that they have been sitting, and with the lein I believe those fees are waived.

I've bought vehicles as lein's from tow yards that had back reg and everything was wiped away/

I've bought vehicles as lein's from tow yards that had back reg and everything was wiped away/

I'm curious if the tow yard had to pay them when they got the title? I don't know anything about the process though, so you're probably correct about the back reg fees being waved.

When you bought the cars from the yard, did you get a clear title or was it a salvage title? I'm curious if the dmv would mark the title somehow and that could lower the cars value. This is a very interesting process and a little scary at the same time. There are some shady people out there!

I had a bill of sale, and the lein papers.. and the vehicles I purchased were not wrecked. Depends, on whether or not the vehicle has already been salvaged.

I had a bill of sale, and the lein papers.. and the vehicles I purchased were not wrecked. Depends, on whether or not the vehicle has already been salvaged.

Just to be clear, I wasn't saying you or anybody in this thread is shady at all. I was just thinking about how this process could catch someone off guard and possibly cost them their vehicle. I like the process and I think it's a great idea, but I also know there are way too many crooks that like to take advantage of the system. (I've lived in the "hi" desert for about 2yrs now and the tweakers up here make me keep a sharp eye on my family and property!)

I just read the following page on the DMV website and it'd be extremely difficult for someone to get a title to your vehicle without you knowing. I feel better now.

That said, the person who started this thread might still be responsible for the back registration fees. Check out this quote from the DMV website below.

NOTE: If the vehicle registration expired while in your possession and you are a dealer, lessor-retailer, keeper of a garage, or operator of a towing service, the buyer has 20 days from the lien sale purchase date to pay registration fees without penalty, or pay a transfer fee and a planned non-operation fee. Otherwise, a planned non-operation must be filed prior to the vehicle expiration date or penalty fees are due.

If the vehicle came into your possession with an expired registration, the buyer must pay the registration fees and penalties.

Here is a link to the DMV lien sale information page - tons of info!
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr7.htm

Back