• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lien Sale Process

Fatcat

NAXJA Forum User
Question to all that have done Lien Sales. Need some info on the do and don'ts for doing a lien sale. I hate dealing with the DMV and want to make as few trips as possible.

The situation is: I have numerous junk vehicles that have been left on my property and i want to try and get the title or vehicle in my name so i can have them removed. 95% of this vehicles don't run and are missing engines/parts etc...

So any info on how to make the process smoothier would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance to all

Dana

I may be wrong but I was told/read that only tow yards and mechanics can do lein sales (unlike other states). If you want the car removed you should just call a tow yard. Let me look in the vehicle code.

I am pretty sure if it has been abandoned on your property you can Lein sale it. the DMV will notify whoever it is currently titled to, and you have some time after that (30 days i think?) before you can go file for a lein. My boss lein sold a civic that was left on our lot by a former employee, i'll ask him how he did it.

Definition of a lien sale.

If a person has repaired, furnished supplies or materials, towed or stored a vehicle AND has not been paid for the services rendered, that person has a lien against the vehicle. The lien arises at the time the registered owner is presented with a written statement of charges for completed work or services.
If the vehicle is towed by a public agency or private towing company, the lien arises when the vehicle is towed or transported. The lien may be satisfied by selling the vehicle through the lien sale process.
To conduct a lien sale, the person/lienholder must have possession of the vehicle and have lien sale authorization from DMV. Interested parties, including the registered and legal owners of record will be notified before the sale occurs.
If the vehicle's value is $4,000 or less, the registered and legal owners of record will be notified by the party conducting the lien. If the vehicle's value is greater than $4,000, DMV notifies all interested parties. You can call (916)-657-7617 between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. if you have questions regarding lien sales.

You have to file, and send the paperwork to the last known address that is on file with DMV, you will get the paperwork from DMV and will also need KSR's on each vehicle for the address. The letters go out registered and would suggest you also send a second certified, receipt requested

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg656.htm

Last edited:
I have a junk guy that comes to my place and hauls them away..He takes them to the scarp yard for cash..So far he has done 2 with NO PAPERS at all.. Just find some guy that does scarp

With some of the particulars of my situation I can't just call and have some of this stuff towed (it really is a long story) I'm better off trying to get things in my name and even going thru the hassle and expense of it.

I have the lien sale forms and stuff from the DMV. I guess my first question is does anyone know if i can process a vehicle that i can't find the VIN on. It is a 1947 Chevy Thriftmaster and i can't seem to find the Vin stamped anywhere on it. It was last registered in 1991, so most likely the DMV won'table to find it in there system with the License Plante #....

and my other concern really is that i'm not a place of business etc... so my reason for filing a lien sale i just want to be correct on what i put on the paperwork????

Thanks

Dana

no offense, but im getting interested in this "long story". its starting to sound a little fishy to me. were did all these cars come from? why are they all missing engines/parts?

You don't want to hear the story. I've seen these cars, they weren't abandoned by some random person, just left by someone who doesn't live there anymore if i remember correctly.

Its not fishy at all, the short of the long is that I own the property with some other people. When we bought the property together whenwe were friends! Ha ha Some of the junk cars are theirs and i do not intend to touch or remove their junk cars But there are around 20+ vehicles that have been brought over by their\our friends for short storage i was told, and know they have been sitting on the property for almost ten years. So yes i could have them towed, but since I don't get along with the other co owner of the property now, and has been that way for years (if you know me you know the story) i want to do this the legal way, and if any questions are asked i have the legal paperwork to prove i can remove these cars. I have tried to locate the owners if i know them, with no avail.

Heck yeah, list which ones you'll be getting rid of, some of us just may be interested in them! :D

Your reason for lien is "unpaid storage fees".

Would that be legal? They don't own a storage lot nor do they have any paperwork stating their would be "fees" to store them there. If you aren't trying to OWN them and just want them gone......call a tow truck and have them towed away.

take the vin # of as many as you can, find out the last registered owners, and all the ones that are not belonging to your partner can be removed. you can even push them onto the street and call the county as abondoned vehicles. this is all of course if you know for sure that the owners dont have written documentation of storage/fees. i feel for you, thats a tricky situation and a mess, ive been there. but for me it was back when recycle yards didnt care as much for non titled vehicles. im sure some of the cars i had here are now in japan along with all our steel.

I don't think the lein sale paperwork registers the vehicle in your name, it just gives you the ability to sell it. Anytime I junked a car, they always needed a title or some paperwork but that 'push them onto the street and call the county as abondoned vehicles' is a nice trick.

Thanks guys for the info and opinions......right now the two i'll be doing liens on is the 1947 Chevy and a 1980 diesel chevy cutlass. Both of these vehicles are pretty much complete, but were towed and left on my property ten years ago. when i have the paperwork done, i'll give you guys a heads up when i'm ready to get rid of them.

Again, i'm going with doing the lien sale because the co-owner of the property are real assholes and they think everything is theirs, so it will be easier just to go thru the process so i have the legal paperwork. Unfortunately I still have to live next to them on the property or I would do it the quickest and easiest way.

thanks again, and if you guys think of anything else just post or send me a PM

Thanks

Dana

there is a place called arliens lien sale on main st. across from stater bros on main and maple in hesperia i went through them and it was easy. i think it was like $30. good luck

Back