• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Knucklehead's blog

specs on 44s?

specs on 44s?

copied from the ad:

"Here is what is in the front high pinion 44.

ARB air locker
5.38 gears
Heavy duty u-bolt style yoke
ARB diff cover
Stock shafts machined for full circle clips
Spicer 5-760 joint's
Chevy 6 lug outers
Timkin wheel bearings
Stage 8 spindle X-lock
Warn premium hubs
all spindle bearings and seals are new
New lug nuts
New calipers
New brake pads
Stainless steel brake lines
Chevy flat top knuckles machined for high steer arms
High steer arms
Parts mike heavy duty 1 ton tie rod ends
Double walled tierod DOM
Custom upper control arm brace, ties into diff cover and ties both axle tubes together, very strong.
Heavy duty 3" tube axle
63" wms to wms
Chevy/Toyota 6 lug pattern
Drivers side drop

REAR DANA 44

Lockright locker with zytaniun cross shaft
5.38 gears
New carrier
All new bearings and seals including wheel bearings and axle seals.
Stainless brake line
Heavy duty ubolt yoke
Big ventilated rotar disk brakes
Chevy, Toyota 6 lug pattern."

i plan to truss both axles before installing them, & possibly install rcv's if they will fit the chevy knuckles, but i hear it is a bitch to install them.
i need to find a set of 6 lug bead locks then i'll order up a set of 35" pitbull rockers (1st choice) or goodyear kevlars (2nd choice).
my coils are shot (one is 2" shorter than the other now) & i still have procomp 3000 cheapo shocks on it so i think i'll ditch all that & install some 12" or 14" coil overs. still debating yanking the t&t y links & fabbing up a 3 link setup. :gee:

got the axles a few weeks ago via parts train (from crazymoose, thanks for your help!) while i was working on one of my new rental houses in oregon. then i got a set of forged raceline monster beadlocks. next i need to search for tires. probably should stgay at 35" but may decide to go up to 37's, who knows.
heading up to reno this weekend for the offroad show. i will have my red p.o.s. on display in the NAXJA booth.

I'll be up their too doing my own thing, maybe I'll stop by the show Saturday. How long are you staying up there for?

until the show is over & i can get my rig out on sunday afternoon.

had a good time with the reno boys.
they are always a blast to hang out with.
got home late last night, drove the green heep to work since the red pos is on the trailer behind the cummins.
pretty sure i blew up my 231 in the green heep on the way home today. the last couple times i drove it it wanted to "pop" out of gear while driving down the freeway.
this time it was a total bitch to get it to get back into any gear position even after adjusting the linkage multiple times on the side of the freeway in rush hour traffic.
i finally got it to lock into 4 low so i drove home from mt. view in 4 low. FML.
looks like i'll be installing my spare t-case in the next week or so.

been a few months so another update:
swapped in another t-case with a real sye in the green heep, then popped the radiator at boards crossing.
currently in my shop being slowly worked on, got the radiator fixed, new belt & hoses installed.
got my new brown dog motor mounts installed in 30 minuets (THANKS BROWN DOG, YOU RULE!) they are super easy to install, MUCH easier than the iron brand i put in the red heep.
got a PSC steering pump & smaller pulley installed, still need to install the remote reservoir. got the dirtbound triple fan reinstalled.
need to pull one rear deavers leaf spring & get it fixed as i killed it the first time offroad on the buggy line at slick rock.
bought a couple more houses, fixed them up & rented them out, wrote offers on 10 or 12 others, waiting for a few to close.
much harder to get a screaming deal this summer, prices are going up, which is great if you are selling but sucks if you are buying!
getting closer to moving to oregon every day! (yeah stock market & improving real estate market! boo higher taxes!)
got to get the green heep out of my shop so i can roll the red p.o.s. in & fab up a rear support mount for the atlas 4 speed since it came loose from the tranny on the last trip.
lots to do before sierrafest next week!

Last edited:
damn tim sounds like you have been a busy man!

Well I am glad to hear the jeeps are coming together.

Well I am glad to hear the jeeps are coming together.

i would be happier if my real estate deals were coming together. :gonnablow
sooooo much paperwork & phone calls. you have no idea! :geek:
i need a life.

bought a couple more houses, fixed them up & rented them out, wrote offers on 10 or 12 others, waiting for a few to close. . . getting closer to moving to oregon every day! (yeah stock market & improving real estate market! boo higher taxes!)

I hope I can write a similar forum post later in life. :compwork:

I had a total blast at Sierrafest again this year!
It was GREAT hanging out with all the NAXJA people who made it there.
I didn't break anything on the red p.o.s. but it was making a weird bearing noise while coasting back down the hiway from slickrock to deer valley. It is pretty fun to cruise this beast at 40 + mph on the hiway through the hills!
More good news: i closed on another house while out of cell range during sierrafest.
I had been working on buying a short sale for about 4 months & it came down to the wire if the bank was going to accept my lowball offer or not. if not it would take another month or two to start over, but in the end they happily took my cash. sa-weeet! my property manager already has it listed on craigslist for rent!
My broker called tonight & said the bank called her on one of my other offers wanting proof of funds (been working on that deal for 4 months or so also) so hopefully they will accept my offer on that one & I can add it to my growing empire of rental properties! (btw: my favorite game as a kid was monopoly. I usually won)
I got a new roll cage built for my polaris RZR as well as a new steering rack & billet hubs to replace all the broken parts from the abuse i gave it at KOH this year. hopefully i can get most of it installed tomorrow after doggie school with Jax. he is in protection training & really enjoying biting the hell out of the guy in the bite suit.
We made the decision to put our house on the market, it will hit the mls in 2 weeks, when it sells we will move back into one of our other homes in san jose. (don't worry, it has a large 2,000 sq. ft., 2 story fun factory in the back yard also)
If anyone wants a really nice house on 2.38 acres with their own covered bridge & 1,000' or creek frontage, a 2,400 sq. ft. 2 story show with 1.5 baths, & massive parking, hit me up. It isn't cheap, but is one of a kind in san jose. (bonus: it's close to taco bell!)

Last edited:
excellent news. glad the Red POS is still alive. I figured you'd have it on its lid by now the way you drive .!.:D.!.

you should bring that thing to KOH next time.

Sounds like fun! And the properties are lining up - bonus!

Back