• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Knucklehead's blog

If his rig is so great, why did he have to back up? (slightly jealous if you can't tell)

it will have cutting brakes installed before the next trip to prevent that from happening again. :gee:

that thing came out pretty sick, just seeing it for the first time now. i really like your rear crossmember, i may be stealing some of that design when i ditch my wishbone 3 link in the rear. :eyes:
what's the travel on those struts?

that thing came out pretty sick, just seeing it for the first time now. i really like your rear crossmember, i may be stealing some of that design when i ditch my wishbone 3 link in the rear. :eyes:
what's the travel on those struts?

they are 14" ori's

ok, been a while since i updated this stoopid blog.
been busy.
spent a week & a half in oregon. got to camp out in my forest. had 1/3 of a million lbs. of rock laid & rolled out so i could get the mobile command center up there.
08-30-2012OREGONTRIP020.jpg

08-30-2012OREGONTRIP004.jpg

i forgot to take pics of the command center parked up there, but it fit just fine.
i finished building my RZR rack that mounts on the back of the command center & still allows me to flat tow the jeep behind it. it fit perfectly & tows great. oh yeah, the rzr is crazy fun on the oregon dunes!
100_2052_edited-1.jpg

100_2053_edited-1.jpg

100_2054_edited-1.jpg

while we were in Oregon, i went fishing, caught a decent sized salmon & had dinner!
100_2050_edited-1.jpg

while we were up there we looked at a few properties for sale & got me thinking about buying another rental, so the search is on for the right house at the right price. i made 2 offers this weekend & am making another on wednesday. who knows if any of them will be accepted, but it would work out in the long run if a couple of them are. interest rates are crazy low making it a great time to buy or refi.....which i did on one of the rentals saving $460/month! crazy, right!?! i am still waiting for the paperwork to refi one of my duplexes, that will save another couple hundred a month. sweet!

as for jeep stuff, i replaced yet another friggin unit bearing on the green heep/ 3rd one this year. also replaced the power steering pump since it was leaking something fierce. also ditched the front hella 500s & installed a 30" led lightbar.
on the red p.o.s. i yanked off the front brakes & axles & installed the new RCV's. these things are pure beef, however getting the orange condoms in place was beyond a mother fu@#er! got the new rotors & brackets on & painted the calipers. next up is mounting the calipers & hoses & bleeding the lines. i still need to mount the cutting brake lever assembly & fab up new lines for it as well. like i said, lots going on.
100_2071_edited-1.jpg

What unit bearings are you using?

RZR looks sweet. How do you like those elkas?

how are the zipties holding up? :D
one of them made it all the way through sierrafest!
they are gone now that the chevy brakes are going on. no more zip tie brakes for me!:roflmao:

What unit bearings are you using?

RZR looks sweet. How do you like those elkas?

i have tried timken, no-name cheapos from ebay, & now just get used ones. they all last the same. i am thinking that towing it causes the issues, although it is odd that the passenger side tends to go bad more often than the driver side.

the elkas on the rzr kick ass. the previous owner added the lonestar racing long arm kit & shocks. that is about a 6k setup alone! glad i got this rig for a deal! now i need to modify the cage to lower it & add some more bars & get some taller tires. and a clutch kit. it never ends! :roll:

are you over or under torquing the unit bearings? I have been running stock junkyard unit bearings for at least 2-3 years, at least 15 runs a year, DD the jeep for 2 years, same unit bearings. I have no idea how you have gone through 3 in one year?

Bent housing? something else is bent ? i have no idea just throwing ideas out there. something seems odd.

its tim... I am assuming the unit bearings are going out because of they way he drives... :D

one of them made it all the way through sierrafest!
they are gone now that the chevy brakes are going on. no more zip tie brakes for me!:roflmao:

I really don't get it... I never saw you use the brakes... and I was behind you on pretty much every trail :roflmao:

maybe he should go to pnp and get some stockers , 12$ each, justget like 10 of them and keep em in the back.

maybe he should go to pnp and get some stockers , 12$ each, justget like 10 of them and keep em in the back.

i keep 3 or 4 in stock at all times & carry a spare in the rig.
i used to think it was my size 14 right foot & the old 35" tires, but now i think it is from towing. that must cause something weird to happen.

i believe it..... the way my jeep pushed my 3/4 ton van around in tight turns shows that it puts a fair amount of side load on the unit bearings. i wont flat tow anymore.

hmm. the towing might be that additional variable . Im jelly if you just got rcvs for that 60 though.

I love the Command Unit. If they drop The Bomb I want in!

i got the front brakes, axles, & drive slugs all done yesterday.
bought some speed bleeders for the calipers & they seemed to work out fine.
next up i need to order some braided lines for the cutting brake install.

i am bummed that both my offers were turned down on the houses.
one was a lowball so i thought the bank would counter back, the other was a full price offer.
both offers had 20% down & letters pre approving me for the loans.
it seems that the banks give first priority to owner occupied before considering selling to an investor.
that blows ass!

And as I just found out, doin a refi is a major pita. The Banks make you jump thru hoops and do tricks at the same time.

Back