• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Knucklehead's blog

look ma, no more jack stands!!! party1:
the beast is finally able so carry its weight without stands!!!
i got the mini boatsides / rocker replacements finished up today. all that is left is to seal some of the gaps in the floor, prime, & paint them. they are 2x6 3/16 wall tube with five 1x2 1/8 wall kickers per side. welding to the floor pans sucks donkey balls!
i also measured up my drive shafts so i can get them remade. (1 needs to be shorter, 1 needs to be longer, & the spare needs to be rebuilt) next i think i'll tackle the front brakes. i may just fab up some mounts & use chevy 3/4 ton calipers since the 1 ton ford calipers always fall off their retarded mounting system.

100_1731_edited-1.jpg

100_1732_edited-1.jpg

100_1733_edited-1.jpg

100_1734_edited-1.jpg

100_1735_edited-1.jpg

Who needs brakes?

Damn, all I'm building is a 44 and I'm slower than you pretty much building your entire rig :worship:. It's lookin really good too! Can't wait to see it on the trail. (assuming I ever get mine out on a trail :rattle:)

Nice. Plastic skins on the boat sides?

that would rule if i could do the sides and the belly skid as well.
what type of material is the preferred choice?
where is the place to get it for cheap?

You can get big sheets of HDPE (high density polyethylene) at McMaster-Carr (mcmaster.com).

that would rule if i could do the sides and the belly skid as well.
what type of material is the preferred choice?
where is the place to get it for cheap?

3/8" to 1/2" would work. Check your local plastic's store...should be a couple up there in the bay. Usually $130+ for a 4'x8' sheet. Usually available in both black and white. the 1/2" stuff you can counter sink your bolts in all pretty like.

Real easy to work with...cuts with a table saw...and can be formed with some heat.

Used some for corner guards on my old XJ...1/4" for stuff up that high...very light weight and very resilient. Could take a 5lb sledge and not put a dent in it. Slides real nice too.

Are you sure you want to do a full exo? IMHO it would look so much cleaner with a hybrid cage. Plus you wont have tubes sticking out to catch on rocks and trees.

Nevertheless, this is looking badass and is coming along nicely! Cant wait to see it at the Sierrafest or your next meet n greet!

it's been a really rough week on Diane & I.
Bruno (our other rottweiler) had emergency surgery to repair 2 holes in his stomach last wednesday caused by a reaction to his arthritis medication. he was in the emergency hospital from tuesday evening until saturday morning. his surgery went pretty good, they had to remove lots of "stuff" from the outside of his stomach, but the repairs to the holes went well. thank goodness we have insurance on both our rotties, but the out of pocket costs would still buy a really well equipped xj...on tons...with an atlas. :scared:.
we don't care as we would have paid any amount to make sure Bruno is healthy. he is now home & recovering slowly & has one hell of a scar on his belly! so, that explains why i haven't gotten much done on my heeps in the last week, we were both so worried about Bruno that all we could do was go back & forth to the hospital to be with him. (anyone who knows Diane & i knows how much we love our dogs, they are our world).

on a side note, apparently i nuked the front pinion gear in the green xj.
the ring looks ok, but the pinion is destroyed. i ordered another set from National Drivetrain http://www.nationaldrivetrain.com/home.php & they set me up for only $110.00 & ups! they rule for all your axle & gear needs!

as for the red heep of doom, the fuel tank is mounted & plumbed, the new driveshafts are installed, the 5th :wow: & final shifter is installed & adjusted.
(1 tranny, 2 front atlas, 3 rear atlas, 4 low-low atlas, 5 rad shifter, yikes!)
still need to bleed the brakes & fab up the exhaust, but i may be able to finally fire this piece of shit up this weekend! :party:

He has a scar on his belly too? He can join the club! Glad hes alright! The XJ is looking good! I think you need another shifter!!

Hey ding dong! We are talking about his dog, we are not talking you!

JK!!! Hey Tim, I hope he gets better soon.

Glad to hear Bruno is doing better. It sucks that his med's caused him the problems in the first place but it's good you guys caught in time to be able to help him. Pretty soon he'll be back to his old form and maybe try to eat the green XJ if he gets hungry enough. :D

Back