• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Keeping A Low Center of Gravity.

You realize that the center of gravity is very low right? :laugh3: I'm just being a jackass so don't think much into this post. Its as useless as the one you posted! :D

stockxjpic.jpg

www.jeepforum.com

this thread was full of good info until about page 15 or so.

your tire's and 2" lift look weird... i expected 31's to look.... bigger :dunno:
this is a 4" lift on 33/10.50's with stock wheels and trim
IMG_0112.jpg

And to contribute to this thread's current state of uselessness...is that Brian L. Spilner parked behind you? I thought his car was :explosion by Johnny Tran's crew. I should have known that was only cinema magic, hmmph, NOS explosion. I wonder, does this mean that Brian doesn't owe Dom a ten second car anymore?

I was enjoying this thread....now I'm just bored. Let's get back to where this thread started, so that I don't have to whine anymore. :rattle:

Mine is probably the lowest xj on 33s in the area so... here is some more uselessness?

3.5" Lift on Long arms, 33x12.5s, 3.75 BS on the wheels. Lots of hills here so I really dont want to go any higher. The plan is JK Rubi 44s, and stay at 33s, or 35s and another inch. Its my DD

DSCN0070.jpg

DSCN0106.jpg

DSCN0065.jpg

Last edited:
^^^You could fit 35's... haha.

LCOG is cool and all, but clearance is kind of important in this neck of the woods. Maybe you can get away with it on a competition rig, but I was hitting EVERYTHING with 32's on a 4.5" lift. Put 35's on it and I can clear all kinds of stuff. I'm trying to go on some hardcore trails, so I'll take that little bit of extra clearance and save the super LCOG stuff for out west.

Mine is probably the lowest xj on 33s in the area so... here is some more uselessness?

3.5" Lift on Long arms, 33x12.5s, 3.75 BS on the wheels. Lots of hills here so I really dont want to go any higher. The plan is JK Rubi 44s, and stay at 33s, or 35s and another inch. Its my DD

DSCN0070.jpg

DSCN0106.jpg

DSCN0065.jpg

Hot diggity dang, thats only 3.5" :eek: What long arm kit do you run? Also, what did you do for bumpstops and how much bumpstop did you need?

Yep, Rubicon Express 3.5" Springs, Clayton Radius arms and Clayton's crossmember. Front bumps are the ones included in the RE superflex kit, and the rear i havent messed with....yet. The plan is to get progressive bumps front and rear, and fix my limiting issue which at the moment is the shocks/springs with some straps or an antirock swaybar. I could fit 35s but I would have to bumpstop the hell out of the front cause the tire would be rubbing the inner fender all the time. And if anybody was wondering about that last pic, yes I do get bumpsteer. :(

@sunburned: Yeah that is understandable. Clearance isnt a HUGE issue here because most of our wheeling is steep hill climbs (hardly a need for even skids) and mud (I hate mud). I would like my rig to be capable in as many terrains as possible, which is why I have plans for full skids and selectable lockers as well.

Last edited:
Around here I have yet to get stuck on 33 ATs, 3.5" (measured, not advertised, and that was before my 100+ pound bumper) in the front and 4.5" in the back (measured, after adding 2" HD springs, 1.5" boomerang shackles, and a lot of bouncing it off things, towing, and stuff hauling) except in front of a crowd at the great american jeep rally... and that was because I planted my front diff solidly into a rock when I didn't quite make a turn I meant to.

I have made it through things that people told me I had no business trying (though they thought I cared about the sheetmetal. I have zero problems dragging sheetmetal over things if it means I make my line, and the rig is starting to show it.)

I haven't wheeled it much (only 4-5 runs) since it was stock, only a couple trips, but will be fixing that.

Around here I have yet to get stuck on 33 ATs, 3.5" (measured, not advertised, and that was before my 100+ pound bumper) in the front and 4.5" in the back (measured, after adding 2" HD springs, 1.5" boomerang shackles, and a lot of bouncing it off things, towing, and stuff hauling) except in front of a crowd at the great american jeep rally... and that was because I planted my front diff solidly into a rock when I didn't quite make a turn I meant to.

I have made it through things that people told me I had no business trying (though they thought I cared about the sheetmetal. I have zero problems dragging sheetmetal over things if it means I make my line, and the rig is starting to show it.)

I haven't wheeled it much (only 4-5 runs) since it was stock, only a couple trips, but will be fixing that.

I agree. I have seen a locked XJ on 31's climb one of the harder obstacles at badlands on only bang up a little sheetmetal. I also saw him do some really hard obstacles in the same Jeep in 33's at Harlan. I for one don't need anything bigger than a 33 because here soon it will be pulling a camper. you gotta comprise when you use it for things other than wheeling. The only time I get hung up is if I take a stupid line or bury it in mud. Also its hard for my crippled ass to get into something with a lot of lift. :D

ok. well since i decided to keep the rig for now and most of my build money has gone to some other important stuff, im now going to do 31x10.50 m/t's on stock suspension. im cut high up front and cut/folded out back. now im gonna bumpstop accordingly. ill lock it towards the first of the year.

soo, if im not mistaken, this constitutes as a lcog build.

According to me yes. According to 93XJLI, No. :D

haha. i dont remember his definition. i thought we all agrees there needs to be for every inco of lift you need at least one inch more than a 30" tire.

what the hell is his definition?? :banghead:

haha. i dont remember his definition. i thought we all agrees there needs to be for every inco of lift you need at least one inch more than a 30" tire.

Well mine has a BB and 31's w/ trimmed fenders and does not meet his criteria.

I say you have to lower it 3" ..remove the 1/4 panels, and weld trailer fenders on the hood.

I say you have to lower it 3" ..remove the 1/4 panels, and weld trailer fenders on the hood.

oh in that case ill go ahead and cut the front springs and remove a leaf from the pack. ill just take the feners off and screw in some garden edging on the hood.

now i feel at home in a lcog rig

i think you guys are missing it... the thread started with the idea of slapping a large tire under a commonly thought to be minimal lift. some of the first few pages have 35s and 37s on 3-4" of lift. the idea is to fit a larger tire into a smaller/lower package. now, not to say a BB and 33s doesnt fit by definition. but look at the context of the thread. its gone from built rigs with big tires to small lifts and 31s claiming to be a "LCoG" build.

so are you saying you need to have, say, 33's minimum to be considered lcog? And almost no lift? I'm not being a dick either when asking. I read the entire thread at one point and I see what your saying, but I think just because people have smaller than 33's they're likely to be boo'd at for not actually being lcog. Now I will agree, 32's and 3-4 inches of lift is no lcog build, but 32's and bb or less would. Same general idea as 35's on 3" of lift just scaled down. Do you agree or see where I'm coming from?

i think you guys are missing it... the thread started with the idea of slapping a large tire under a commonly thought to be minimal lift. some of the first few pages have 35s and 37s on 3-4" of lift. the idea is to fit a larger tire into a smaller/lower package. now, not to say a BB and 33s doesnt fit by definition. but look at the context of the thread. its gone from built rigs with big tires to small lifts and 31s claiming to be a "LCoG" build.

i think you guys are missing it... [...] its gone from built rigs with big tires to small lifts and 31s claiming to be a "LCoG" build.

EXACTLY my opinion.

X2. Been wondering what the "official" line for LCOG is for a while, my suspicion is that there isn't one. Everyone who wants to be cool just tacks it onto what they call their rig...

I am not certain what my personal line is, but I don't really quite consider my 33s on 3.5" to be LCOG. I certainly would consider a 37 on 2" LCOG though (one of the guys up here ran that)... when I start chopping up my 98, I'm going to see how well I can fit 33s at stock height (though obviously with higher rate springs in the rear at least) before I start pulling the suspension off. If I like how it fits, it's getting upgraded control arms and I'm leaving the rest alone.

IMO, 34s and under can't really be lifted at all and still considered LCOG. When you can run 37s on 2" in a comp successfully, why the hell are we even talking about considering slapping that acronym on 31s, 32s, etc and 2"? There is a name for 34s and under on stock axles and a small lift, it's called a budget build and I am perfectly happy calling mine that very thing.

so are you saying you need to have, say, 33's minimum to be considered lcog? And almost no lift? I'm not being a dick either when asking. I read the entire thread at one point and I see what your saying, but I think just because people have smaller than 33's they're likely to be boo'd at for not actually being lcog. Now I will agree, 32's and 3-4 inches of lift is no lcog build, but 32's and bb or less would. Same general idea as 35's on 3" of lift just scaled down. Do you agree or see where I'm coming from?
i see what you mean, and your not being boo'd or shunned. but your missing the context and the way "low center of gravity" is used in this thread. i think budget build is a more accurate term.

Back