• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Keeping A Low Center of Gravity.

What yr Tracker? I had a 94 Geo Tracker. Loved it, but hate the 99+

1999:( i got it real cheap for 500.00 put in about the same, so i guess i cant complain to much, but even after replacing parts some of the same parts keep causing trouble always the front end. Ive started being mean to it and took it through puddles up to its doors and it does surprisingly well but i have no trust in the front end components especially the axle i replaced the passenger side cv half shaft and its poped out from the tire spindle twice and it sounds like it may do it again, ive just started doing things like that and all it saw was dirt roads and it seemes even being easy on it like i was for the first half year it can't deal with anything front axle wise, and it seems it makes a new and different noise everyday or some part of the interior breaks, and seriously the thing puts a dampener on the cool factor i midas well be driving around in a pink beer keg i betcha people are laughing at me. My jeep on the other hand took all the abuse i could dish and only once in 4 years did that jeep leave me stranded due to an alternator that i had to replace on the side of the road. I think my problem is im trying to cover two bases at once, good gas mileage or good utility. Oh yeah and im lucky if that damn thing has 4in ground clearance under the gas tank. I beginning to think at what point does 7mpg difference become a deciding factor on your capabilities? I rather have 17mpg and go over curbs and up goat path roads as short cuts. I cant even strap my canoe to the damn thing either, or keep all my camp cooking gear in the back, and it doesn't feel safe at high speed.

Last edited:
This should be in this thread, don't know whos it is, just saw the pic online.

DSCN0523.jpg

wow... a LEAF SPRUNG front end on a cherokee... i guess someone thought it would be funny to tell him that leafs were better than coils up front =)

You'd be surprised how many front/rear leaf sprung XJ's are out there, or even leaf front and linked rear.

i would think you'd be better off starting with a YJ foundation, at least you'd have an actual frame to work with

It isn't really much of an improvement over our unibody (wrangler guys break frames..). I guess its a matter of 2 doors or being one of the cool kids. ;)

wow... a LEAF SPRUNG front end on a cherokee... i guess someone thought it would be funny to tell him that leafs were better than coils up front =)
Many people do this because it's a hell of a lot easier to swap in a bigger axle with leafs than links. Some will do it temporarily to get wheeling again while designing the links.

You don't get out much. Do you??

not nearly as much as i'd like to. i work far to often to get the opportunity to wheel as much as i'd like to.

Many people do this because it's a hell of a lot easier to swap in a bigger axle with leafs than links. Some will do it temporarily to get wheeling again while designing the links.

i guess, it just seems like it would be alot of work to make mounts for the leaf setup especially if its just going to be temp.

Last edited:
I'm a believer in the "lower center of Gravity" concept.

4.5" lift with 35"x 12.50 and full upward travel, 11" in the rear and front bump stop extended 3" in front. 3.75 offset rims. No rubbing, but it was a lot of work making this work in those little wheel wells.

IMG_0159.jpg

Here is a better pic of the rear with 33"s:

IMG_4015.jpg

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

Im pretty happy with my 4 inches and 32's. Its barely rubs at all. Bumpstops aren't setup yet out back, but I have 3 inches of hocky pucks in front. Front fenders are massaged, and opened up. Flares are trimmed inside. Its a RE 3.5 kit, with RC long arms and an mj shackle out back.

879600db.jpg

And it works.
DSC07083.jpg

DSC07092-1.jpg

Im pretty happy with my 4 inches and 32's. Its barely rubs at all. Bumpstops aren't setup yet out back, but I have 3 inches of hocky pucks in front. Front fenders are massaged, and opened up. Flares are trimmed inside. Its a RE 3.5 kit, with RC long arms and an mj shackle out back.

879600db.jpg

I like your set up, i kinda wondered about the RC LA upgrade if it would work on a 3" lift cause its listed for a 4"
are you fenders trimmed at all?

i was thinking for mine 3" LA with 33" tires

Did someone say Low Center of Gravity?

Jeep2571.jpg

:D

At full bump the top tube sits at nose level with me, and i'm 6'1"...but I guess mines a *wee* bit different :D

I was previously running 35's on ~8" of lift. It was a little taller than I liked but was for more stable than most took it for, but it also built to be so...

Before the chop: (neglect the guy in the picture...I was with a group of Toyotas and the guy assumed I was going to need a hand as well :D)

IMG_1336.jpg

the really cool kids use leafs AND links on the same axle!! :shocked:
you're gonna love the rear suspension on the massivemobile :greensmok 6 links, 2 leaf springs, 2 axles.

It is in no way a low COG rig however.

This brings up a good question, "What constitutes Low Center of Gravity?"

I don't think 32" tires under 4 inches of lift can be considered LCOG.

I pulled this from another forum and I think it works as a good guideline for a Low COG:
best definition I can come up with is " Less than 1" of lift for every 1" of tire size over 30 inches"

so 33's on less than 3"
35's on less than 5"
37's on less than 7"

I'm running 33s with a 3" lift and I'm not sure I would call it "Low." It's definitely a little lower than a lot of other XJs that run 33's.

When the time comes, I'll lower to either stock height or do a 1" lift and keep my 33s. Then I'll boast about being Low.

E

This brings up a good question, "What constitutes Low Center of Gravity?"

I don't think 32" tires under 4 inches of lift can be considered LCOG.

I pulled this from another forum and I think it works as a good guideline for a Low COG:
best definition I can come up with is " Less than 1" of lift for every 1" of tire size over 30 inches"

so 33's on less than 3"
35's on less than 5"
37's on less than 7"

I'm running 33s with a 3" lift and I'm not sure I would call it "Low." It's definitely a little lower than a lot of other XJs that run 33's.

When the time comes, I'll lower to either stock height or do a 1" lift and keep my 33s. Then I'll boast about being Low.

E
X2. Been wondering what the "official" line for LCOG is for a while, my suspicion is that there isn't one. Everyone who wants to be cool just tacks it onto what they call their rig...

I am not certain what my personal line is, but I don't really quite consider my 33s on 3.5" to be LCOG. I certainly would consider a 37 on 2" LCOG though (one of the guys up here ran that)... when I start chopping up my 98, I'm going to see how well I can fit 33s at stock height (though obviously with higher rate springs in the rear at least) before I start pulling the suspension off. If I like how it fits, it's getting upgraded control arms and I'm leaving the rest alone.

Id like to go with something like the following picture i don't want a sye im not to concerned with trimming i will need to figure out some sort of flare, do you think this would have any issues off-road? 2.5 in lift 33"s i don't know whos rig.

bfg%20km2s%20side.jpg

Back