• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

John Bull trail wimpified

travisk

NAXJA Forum User
I was goofing off in Big Bear over the holiday and noticed that someone moved all of the boulders out of the way of the John Bull gatekeeper and the Forest Service downgraded it from Most Difficult to More Difficult.

Who makes these decisions? The trail was never that tough, but now I think you could take a stock vehicle through it unassisted. Back in September it was much more challenging.

normal_image~31.jpg

Obama did, its part of the affordable wheeling care act.

That may not have been a FS decision or action. People do "trail maintenance" all the time.

I noticed this as well when I was up there last saturday.

I blame Obama

The Waywegoes typically maintain the trail at the proper difficulty level. What you ran into was most likely unauthorized user-modifications. Informing the Waywegoes of this is the proper action, they'll get it back to where it should be.

The gatekeeper is there to keep people off the trail if they can't handle it. If it's not there, they may destroy their Ram 1500 pickup like happened a few years back. :) That guy got past the "gatekeeper" and destroyed the truck on the rock garden vs turning around.

there was a gate keeper?

that trail was never really hard...

we dragged a nearly stock ZJ through there. slow but it made it. seen several stock TJs go through...

curious to see what the response from waywegoes

...and the Forest Service downgraded it from Most Difficult to More Difficult.

A thought just occurred to me (shocking, I know). Were you perhaps reading the trail markings for the East side of 3N10 (from 3N32 to where it loops back to 3N16)? That has always been a blue/moderate trail.

Nope, it was the west side. The local I was with actually said they were just swapped and the east side was upgraded to Most Difficult. I did not verify that. Strange, huh?

I was goofing off in Big Bear over the holiday and noticed that someone moved all of the boulders out of the way of the John Bull gatekeeper and the Forest Service downgraded it from Most Difficult to More Difficult.

Who makes these decisions? The trail was never that tough, but now I think you could take a stock vehicle through it unassisted. Back in September it was much more challenging.

normal_image%7E31.jpg

Bumber

The gatekeeper is there to keep people off the trail if they can't handle it. If it's not there, they may destroy their Ram 1500 pickup like happened a few years back. :) That guy got past the "gatekeeper" and destroyed the truck on the rock garden vs turning around.

I totally remember that. Way better than TV to watch. :D

I always ran it "backward" so I hated the gatekeeper. It was just some damn rock in the way of my heading home haha. Still really really odd if they actually downgraded the trail. Any word from the waywego group?

Back