• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep is in the shop

Big_JermsXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Had to get the tow of shame...
I went down to Port Aransas on christmas day, abouty a 4 hour trip from Austin. Had a great time with the family. I hate myself for doing it but I took the jeep out in the sand/muck. It did great and I had fun doing it but it is NASTY any and all exposed metal immediately got surface rust. But that can all be washed and painted no big deal.
So I make it about 200 miles to Geronimo, Tx where we were having a family get together. I pulled off the highway onto a dirt road, the road had a 90* right turn. Halfway through the turn POP, CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK. pull over and the driverside axle shaft U-joint blew up. To the amazement of my family I have a spare. So after a couple hours and one trip to the store for a big socket and some cotter pins its all back together. So im driving back to austin and I pull over just south of austin to check on things the hub is screaming hot, I stood back and looked at the jeep and the driver side dront wheel is tilted in. So i know its bad but im hoping i can just get it home. Drive a couple more miles and pull over, It's worse. by this time its about 9pm so called 411 and got a tow. Got up this morning and limped it over to Just Jeeps in Austin, god how i hated that :anon:. Any way the brakes got mushy and i lost brake and turn lights, so I'm having them look at everything. :tears:

As much as I hate taking it to a shop I'm going back to school soon and need it perfect, Oh and no help on the yukon warranty apparently they only cover up to 32s on the D30.

jeep_1067.jpg

jeep_1069.jpg

jeep_1068.jpg

I know how you feel, I had the "tow of shame" 2 years ago and the guy who towed it to the shop (who was driven a ford truck) thought it was funny towing "mopar junk", oh well luckily the shop wasn't far from my house!

Oh and no help on the yukon warranty apparently they only cover up to 32s on the D30.

I think because you have broken the ears. I have had 2 outers replaced allready and i am running 34/10.50 ltb's. I have broken the outer in half both times at the start of the splines. Running carquest gold u joints with full circle clips.

That sucks man, thats an awesome looking XJ you have.

As bad as this is and as shameful is it is having my jeep worked on, I feel good about this place. I sat around and talked jeeps and wheeling with the mechanics for a while.

Back