• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Important

Good to know he'll be okay!

So, I am at a fork in the road today. I know some of you, and I know that the rest of you are mostly like-minded. But I am seriously considering doing Marine Corp officer training here in conjunction with going to college. I have gone to school at Michigan Tech, and now at UW Stevens Point for Cartography/GIS, and I'm 22 years old. I have always felt the push to serve my country, not from my family but from inside, though my Great G-pa, G-pa, and Father have all served during wartime. This summer I could go to PLC (Platoon Leaders Class) at OCS in Quantico, VA. And then a second session next summer. Then I would be commissioned when I graduate, and there is a career where I could apply my degree.

So, Discuss I guess. Its an idea I'm seriously kicking around.

It is an honorable and dignified thing to do, I have often regreted not serving as my father and grand father did. Ultimatly it is your choice, but I am in favor of anyone wanting to serve their country. Speak with some of the chapter fellas that are currently or have served. They can tell ya first hand. I know that RedHeep (Josh) is active duty and seanR's son Travis just got home from one of the sand boxes. There are others as well, but slipping my mind at the moment. :patriot:

From the outside looking in, if you've got anything more than a little college time behind you, go in as an officer. But, by all means, talk to folks who are currently serving, especially Marines.

Just stay away from those Jarheads that mess with those POS airplanes that want to be helicopters. I've heard that those are the ones that you want to avoid.:D

I'm in the same boat as Tyler. I've thought many times that I should have gone that route.

Then I would be commissioned when I graduate, and there is a career where I could apply my degree.

If you'd like to be a Marine officer, know this: What you have a degree in will not in any way translate to the job you do in the Corps unless you're a lawyer.

Marine officers are infantry platoon leaders first and everything else second. That's why they go to OCS and then TBS for 6 months to learn how to be a grunt. Even my pilots have all been there.

It's a better life than being enlisted, but also highly competitive. Make sure when you're talking to an officer recruiter, you explain exactly what you want. Unfortunately, all you're going to get out of the Corps is a ground or aviation contract. The Marines will issue you a job based on a lot of things, including your class rank, not really your wish list and sometimes your prior experience (although they'll swear they don't, but every prior enlisted aviation Marine always ends up a maintenance officer, so go figure :D )

You'll be gone a lot. We're striving for a 1:2 deployment to dwell time ratio, but there's a lot of Marines that are deployed every 12 months or so. That doesn't include all of the predeployment training and TAD trips you get to take when you're "home".

If you'd like to hear more, hit me up with a pm. Just remember one very important thing. You don't have to know everything when they make you an officer because they're going to issue you a SNCO that does :wave1:

Just stay away from those Jarheads that mess with those POS airplanes that want to be helicopters. I've heard that those are the ones that you want to avoid.:D

I'm in the same boat as Tyler. I've thought many times that I should have gone that route.

Have you seen those things? Who in their right mind would want to do something like that?

Oh yeah, I'm not in my right mind :wierd:

Well something aweful happened while I was at WF.

The house next door was for sale for 1.5 years, took the ho hauler out for one freggin weekend and what happens....... it sells.

I bet the new owners loved seeing the bus in the dirveway the next time they came to look at the house after they made thier offer.

Maybe they think the bus is cool and don't care?

Dad always said, if you are going to go into the Forces, go as an officer. So there's never been a doubt that that's what I'd do rather than take a step backward and enlist.

I'm aware that they will do with me what they want ultimately. But I can hope that my experience in Cartography/Mapping could help me do something with intelligence. But either way I wouldn't be too broken up if it doesn't work like that. I do not have perfect vision, nor do I have a huge interest in law, so a ground contract it is.

I had two recruiters come up from Milwaukee to chat with me today.

Thanks, I'll remember to do that if I have any specific questions.

And last but not least is: If the wings are traveling faster than the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter... and therefore, unsafe.

The house next door was for sale for 1.5 years, took the ho hauler out for one freggin weekend and what happens....... it sells.

I bet the new owners loved seeing the bus in the dirveway the next time they came to look at the house after they made thier offer.

Nice...is it the one with the back deck pointed toward your driveway?

That is awesome! Imagine what it's like to be them. Excited that they're buying a new house, "Oh hey honey let's go drive by the house again!" And then they see the green thing sitting next door. Priceless.

The house next door to me has been for sale for over a year. Considering starting to use their driveway to store my vehicles and crap. When I'm loading stuff up to go wheeling I usually block in their driveway, if someone ever moves in I won't have enough room to get loaded up.

Seriously I either need to start expanding my neighborhood land ownership or move to a place in the country. This quarter acre residential crap is cramping my style.

Didn't we all joke about that happening?

that's freakin funny.

Considering starting to use their driveway to store my vehicles and crap.

I used to do that, but most of the houses have sold, for crap prices, but they are sold.
I used to park my pick up and trailer at the empty house all of the time.
When I added the pad alongside my garage, the Ramada spent a week at the empty house too.
Someone asked if I had bought it and was moving there, I just told them I was borrowing the parking space.
Now since they are all occupied, I have to keep the trailer 35 miles away at MagnumCJ's house, most of you don't remember him....

sean, hows next weekend (March 27th) sound for a cage pick up and some din-din and drinks? I may need to crash at your place after drinks w/ you and Lar though! :D

Come to Seans this Saturday. I am going down there to pick up a few things and have some drinks. Leaving Sunday. Sean, do you have the front bumper the winch was mounted to?

They'll be out there watering trees, praying for leaves to come in to block the view.
briansbussideloaded.jpg

I love this pic of the loaded bus.

So there's never been a doubt that that's what I'd do rather than take a step backward and enlist.

There's nothing "backwards" about enlisting.

97XJ2 said:
And last but not least is: If the wings are traveling faster than the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter... and therefore, unsafe.

I hope that's more of a joke than an opinion, since we have way more rotary wing aircraft than "airplanes" in the Marine Corps.

Of course, you can always walk, we don't mind either way :D

Back