• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Important

Will all this talk of tow rigs 'n what not, and knowing that I'm planning on retiring the XJ from daily duty this spring sometime (It looks like). I've been looking at cars with manual trans' and hoping for awd as well (newer than '02). So that gives me Subie's, Audi A4's, VW Passats (with 4motion), and Jetta's (found a few diesels!), and Chev Cobalt's.

But now I'm curious if I should look at trucks too, I know it would be handy for hauling, and not worrying about the XJ at WF. Brendan, were you planning on doing a lot of towing/hauling? Just not sure if I can justify the truck, it even though someday I know I'd have one anyway. So do I look to buy now and hope the XJ makes it out wheeling or hold off. Plans in the works for the XJ too, so it's losing more street driveability.

Another key to throw in there: I still have the '84 H/O as a summer toy, but it's kinda a classic/project with 60k on it, so I'd rather not pile miles on that either.

i know this question was addressed elsewhere, but im into my 01 1/2 ton chevy for less than 10k and i dont think i could imagine life without it at this point, for the usabilty everyday of the pick up, and the peace of mind wheeling the xj i shoulda done it years ago....

Is the insurance thing really a deal breaker?

I can understand not wanting to get yourself in trouble, but a VIN number is a VIN number.
Modified, road legal, and not plated, that is their problem.
I will not pay $100.00 a year for plates, just so I can pay the insurance company $450.00 per year to insure it.
I only put 300-400 miles a year on it.

This will be the first time since 1983 that I have not owned a Jeep.....

But now I'm curious if I should look at trucks too, I know it would be handy for hauling, and not worrying about the XJ at WF. Brendan, were you planning on doing a lot of towing/hauling? Just not sure if I can justify the truck, even though someday I know I'd have one anyway. So do I look to buy now and hope the XJ makes it out wheeling or hold off. Plans in the works for the XJ too, so it's losing more street driveability.

Another key to throw in there: I still have the '84 H/O as a summer toy, but it's kinda a classic/project with 60k on it, so I'd rather not pile miles on that either.

I bought mine with the understanding that I won't really tow much with it. I knew when I bought it that I'd be driving it to work almost every day, and that doesn't really bother me. Mileage isn't fantastic, but already the utility of the truck bed has been awesome.

And like Doug said, the peace of mind knowing you can tow your junk home at the end of the day is worth a lot.

That sounds bogus to me, you need insurance to get plates but you don't need plates to get insurance. I guess they'll do whatever they can to get out of a claim though.

Last edited:
I will not pay $100.00 a year for plates, just so I can pay the insurance company $450.00 per year to insure it.

I guess it depends on how much you want to go wheeling.

That seems high for insurance.
I don't recall the exact numbers but when I added the truck to the insurance, the Jeep got dropped down to bare bones liability. I remember thinking that with plates and insurance, it cost me less 400/year to simply own it. Now that's bare bones, insurance......just enough to make it legal.

the Mj is 160/half that's "recreational" use, mileage below 5K miles a year, a little more than "basic" liability, and $0 glass replacement. Yeah, they know what it is and what we do with it and they'll still give me free glass.
If I dropped the liabilty to the state minimums and ditched the comprehensive it would be sub $100, but I'd rather have too much insurance than not enough and free glass is the only thing I've ever come out ahead on with the insurance company.

I don't care any more, I will still hang out with you morons, show up at meet and greets, Show up to Winterfest, ect.
I have too much going on right now to mess with this.

Don't think I am going anywhere!

:flipoff:

Hang on to the Jeep just in case you change your mind. Unless you already got rid of it and I missed it.

I have been fixing the neighbor's 2500 Dodge all evening.
His trailer tongue was dragging on the ground when he got home.
Not a big equipment trailer, a single axle tool trailer. 5 X 7 enclosed
It seems the bolts that held the rear receiver pulled through the frame.
The bolts were fine, they even had big washers on them, the frame broke.
No rust, just broken sheet metal, yea, sheet metal.
I welded the cracks, heated up the frame, beat it flat again, then
we plated the frame with some 3/8 flat and bolted the receiver back on.
We relocated the receiver 2 inches back so we could drill into fresh tin in the frame.

I took some pics with my phone, I will post them in the morning.
I swear to God, that thing is made out of recycled Budweiser cans!

Just confirms what I have said all along.

Could be a big difference between a 1994 and a 2008, 2nd gen and 3rd gen, etc...just curious.
Maybe there were changes made in frame manuf over the years.

Back