• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Important

What is the going rate for a 79 Dana 60 rear axle SRW? I have a guy who is selling his 79 HP D60 front axle paired with the rear axle. I already have a Sterling 10.25 for the rear so I would have to sell his Dana 60 rear axle. What could I realistically get for it?

Like a hundred bucks in my area, if that. Rear 60s are common, the good ones are the rears out of 90s and early 00s (iirc) e350 vans, they have discs, fullfloat, big spindles, iirc 32 or 35 spline shafts, and smooth bottom center castings. Those will fetch a few hundred more.

Gotcha, well either way. I just picked up a set of Dana 60s (1979 hiboy srw HP D60 with brakes) for $950. So I could really care less about what I get for the rear axle now.

bm 'joining the full-width crew' yohn

I picked up something at Winterfest....a cough.

I catch colds at the drop of a hat and spent the whole weekend there without getting sick. I guess you got pretty unlucky.

Xj is dewinterfested. The only damage I got was a little dent and two scrapes on the front passenger door and a scrap dent on the rocker below the drivers door. Sorta was in the shock of it after it happened so I didn't wheel on Saturday. Now, I am rethinking that decision. Maybe a small lift (budget) will give me enough distance to avoid any rubbing on green.

Xj is dewinterfested. The only damage I got was a little dent and two scrapes on the front passenger door and a scrap dent on the rocker below the drivers door. Sorta was in the shock of it after it happened so I didn't wheel on Saturday. Now, I am rethinking that decision. Maybe a small lift (budget) will give me enough distance to avoid any rubbing on green.

Lifted or not you are bound to get damage over time. Scratches and small dents are just the beginning. Green is usually thought of as the "easy" trail but it's got plenty of tight and twisted spots, the terrain is always changing, and there are just no guarantees when it comes to this hobby, regardless of driving or spotting skills. I know it sucks but that's the reality of it. Any time you're hitting the trail you have to be mentally prepared that something bad might happen to your vehicle. If that's not a compromise you're willing to make then you should think about getting another vehicle to wheel, or not wheeling it until you're comfortable with what might happen.

First time out I wheeled a mint 98 ZJ, then went home and bought an older XJ for a trail rig instead.

Wheeling creates damage. Damage requires fixing. Fixing requires money. Then you go wheeling again.

Sometimes your experience behind the wheel can limit the amount of damage a situation is going to cause. Sometimes you're in it to win it and you leave with a pretty dented up quarter panel.

If you don't like trail pinstriping, dents and damage, don't go wheeling. It's a pretty simple concept. No amount of building, lifting, armoring, etc. is going to eliminate every possible situation. It's going to happen. If you're not ok with that, don't drive it off the pavement.

Lifted or not you are bound to get damage over time. Scratches and small dents are just the beginning. Green is usually thought of as the "easy" trail but it's got plenty of tight and twisted spots, the terrain is always changing, and there are just no guarantees when it comes to this hobby, regardless of driving or spotting skills. I know it sucks but that's the reality of it. Any time you're hitting the trail you have to be mentally prepared that something bad might happen to your vehicle. If that's not a compromise you're willing to make then you should think about getting another vehicle to wheel, or not wheeling it until you're comfortable with what might happen.

First time out I wheeled a mint 98 ZJ, then went home and bought an older XJ for a trail rig instead.

Yep. My ZJ was 100% clean and straight Thursday, not quite so much now. My previous XJ was a 01 with 50k miles, and it didn't have a straight panel on it. That's the price you pay to not be a mall crawler/web wheeler.

The first dent I put in goldie was so long ago I honestly dont remember what caused it...probably something not cool like wheeling, but lets make believe it was something cool....hmmm...maybe io was the time I had the stripper pole mounted to the roof...yeah, that was it.

Terrehauten, I'm really wondering if this is the sport for you, you don't have the funds required, mechanical ability to fix your jeep and not willing to damage it in any fashion. I don't want to sound mean but these are the facts.

I feel you really need to think about how well you fit in here.

Dan

Okay, on to another discussion .

I'm proudly displaying the frankenspare

picture.php

OK, I gotta ask, what did you do to earn the Frankenspare Dan? I want the details!!

Back