• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I'm tired of AEV

MauriceGOL

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
So AEV conversions has been warning of a new site forever. and now they finally did something but it still has nothing on it. But they still have what i consider the best looking rear bumper/tire carrier out there. anyone know where i can find a rear bumper that isn't simply some ugly box of steel?

and yes, i have looked through the threads.

I heard that they only made and sold like 6 of those bumper with tire carrier's and discontinued them..

Ditto.....That is the best looking bumper i've seen!
rbump04.jpg

Thats not a bad looking bumper, i've acually seen that one before. I'm not sure what the AEV bumpers cost, and that could have been a contributing factor to why they don't build them anymore.
AEV specializes in "stock appearance"...they are very impressive as you can see by that i bumper I posted above

the detour one looks good but it is my firm belief that diamond plate is good for tool boxes and step tread, not body plating. from the website it looks like they throw on some diamond plating. the AEV bumper was 650 and the the swing arm sold seperatly for 550 or something like that.

MauriceGOL said:
the detour one looks good but it is my firm belief that diamond plate is good for tool boxes and step tread, not body plating. from the website it looks like they throw on some diamond plating. the AEV bumper was 650 and the the swing arm sold seperatly for 550 or something like that.

Diamond plate is only one of the options if you read there is the smoothie

Rigidco.

2006_1109031B.jpg

This is one of my best pics of it. RuggedJeep has a nice write up thread on his.

Blaine B. said:
Damn, that's like perfectly stock looking! Even retains the endcaps!

Yes perfectly stock looking, but the factory endcaps don't do much of protecting the rear 1/4 panels. They do hold the mud in very well though.

CartsXJ said:
Yes perfectly stock looking, but the factory endcaps don't do much of protecting the rear 1/4 panels. They do hold the mud in very well though.
Those were TJ parts on the aev bumper, the swing release was off the 97TJ. I ordered one when dave was here at the house one christmas visiting his parents, he had one of his custom xj's with the rear soft top with him, then waited 2 months but had to cancel before he went into production. I think the issue was the bumper was not welded or fabbed from pieces but instead bent and formed from one single piece. I think it was a much more expensive and involved process than he anticipated. He might have also had inside information that the XJ was being killed as he was building concept stuff for jeep, all their stuff shows up at the jeep shows, there were a couple of grands and commanders at camp jeep 2 summers ago as an example though none of their hemi TJ's. Wonder what he has planned for the new wrangler..

RichP said:
Wonder what he has planned for the new wrangler..

With any luck, a real engine.

The wrangler door latch, the in bumper light switch, all great qualities. And the rugged jeep bumper looks good but the tire arm is in the way of the reverse light, which is techinically illegal and since my reverse lights aren't all the good I need all the help I can get.

And AEV made their own end caps instead of utilizing the plastic stock ones. They were steel.

MauriceGOL said:
And the rugged jeep bumper looks good but the tire arm is in the way of the reverse light

It does? Are you referring to the AEV bumper in this post?

passxj said:
Rigidco.

2006_1109031B.jpg

This is one of my best pics of it. RuggedJeep has a nice write up thread on his.

Great bumper if you don't mind waiting a year to get it.

MauriceGOL said:
And AEV made their own end caps instead of utilizing the plastic stock ones. They were steel.

Not as far as I am informed. Never seen those on the rigs I have seen with the bumper.

I was referring to the rigidco or ruggedjeep bumper, the one with diamond plate. the AEV bumper's tire swing arm is recessed.

And as far as the end caps AEV offered end caps made from steel that actually extended to the rear wheel well. you can see the on the AEV Africana jeep although that bumper doesn;t have the swing arm, but it has the same style end caps

MauriceGOL said:
And as far as the end caps AEV offered end caps made from steel that actually extended to the rear wheel well. you can see the on the AEV Africana jeep although that bumper doesn;t have the swing arm, but it has the same style end caps

This is correct.

I gave up waiting on AEV back in ~2004 and went with the C-Rok. Still haven't gotten around to making a tire carrier for it.

Back