• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I want one

casm

NAXJA Forum User
I'm admitting up front that I'm not a big Japanese car fan - in fact, I've only ever owned one: a Subaru Brat. It was a good little truck for what it was, and I was thinking of picking one up as a cheap parts hauler.

Then I ran across this.

Problem is, while this would be great from a 'WTF?' standpoint, it would detract from building the XJ.

Alternative: keep it in the family, so to speak, and go this route (first American car I ever owned).

Damn distractions :)

go with the bratt, it is way cooler. Did you hear about the guys that ran the con in subarus, there was a thread on pirate a while back about it. I hate the eagle, the only ones that I have been around have been turds, but you never know, maybe you will get a good one.

A buddyin high school had a brat that he bought off his dad and then proceeded to tune up. It was pretty funny lookin after a couple of years, but we had loads of fun on dirt roads and fields with it. He only put 30's on it but it still looked pretty wild. Takes me back. I don't know where I would even find one nowadays. A few years back I remember seeing a two door chevette that a guy had turned into a truck-style prerunner. It had 30's and way cut fenders. He'd also cut the rear roof off from the windows back and mounted a spare across the 'bed' he created. It had a light bar and internal roll cage. There was something about it that was both campy and fun...

I learned to drive in my mom's '91 Subaru Loyale wagon... 1.8L flat four, 5-speed, push button 4wd. I towed a small fishing boat with it and took that thing back in the woods and never got stuck, knock on wood. It was still running pretty well when she gave it away in 2002 despite her lacadaisical approach to maintenance. I would have loved to have it for when the XJ was down for repair/modification. I think there is an outfit in Australia that markets lifts for them. I say go for the Brat. More utility than an Eagle.

Buy both. I think stuff like that is cool because it is way diffrent. I definately think the wtf factor is enoug reason to own something. It would be cool to say you had a scoobe that would do the rubicon. Just my sad twisted opinion.

Heh, I've already owned both, so have a pretty decent idea of the pros and cons each way.

What it boils down to is this: I have to dump two cars pretty much right away as I'm losing parking for them. However, I still need a backup vehicle - I'll keep making payments on this one if I break it, but I refuse to be stranded.

Thanks for the input, folks, but I was only semi-serious about the modification ideas - quite honestly, while I want both vehicles, I'd go for the Brat ahead of the Eagle purely for usability reasons.

Yeah, it's heresy. I know. But they are damned good little machines.

Back