• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I think it's time for a Wrenchfest!

bosco01xj

NAXJA Forum User
I picked up Dave's xj today and will be swapping just about everything from my cherokee to my new to me xj. There is quite a bit to get done.

Swap axles
Swap suspension
Swap radio
Swap transfer case
Trim fenders
Cut and fold
Diagnose highway speed bucking (possible tps?)
Replace o2 sensors
Replace neutral safety switch

If time permits I am also swapping my front bumper and rear bumper/tire carrier. These items aren't too important for wrench day since I can tackle those in my own time. I can also do the 02 and safety switch as well but extra help is always great.

Ed... are you up for hosting since you have a lift? The plan would be Dirk and myself bringing the jeeps. After installing everything on the green xj we would need to install the stock items on Annie to make her a roller. I'd need to figure out a way to get it to a jy unless someone wants it as a donor. If anyone else has any ideas please let me know.

I've got to get mine off the lift but it's close to that point now.

If you guys want to do a WrenchFest, let me know and I can try to work out something. My daughter plays Jr. Pro on Saturdays but the times are always different. I'll see which dates work best and I'll con Mark into helping so if I have to leave he can lock up.

As far as the old XJ and parts, you can leave them here as we always need parts. You got an engine?

Cut and fold

To help you get your "packing list" started:

For this, you'll need to bring:

• at least a 10 pack of cut off wheels
  • Painters tape
  • an angle grinder
  • 3 tubes of seam sealer
  • a drill and appropriate bits
  • a rivet gun and varied sizes of rivets
  • sanding discs (and a rubber mount for the drill)
  • small deadblow hammer or rubber mallet
I've got most, if not all the tools that I could bring. I just don't have the consumables.

By the way - I am not available the first 3 weekends of January. First I could even consider would be January 24 and would be free the rest of January and the whole of February.

How about January 24 or 31?

Ok. Let's mainly focus on suspension, axles and tcase. I doubt there will be enough time to get everything done.

Let me check and I'll let you know.

The early AW4 have the 21 spline shaft where the later ones have the 23 spline. If I read right, the trans and t-case in the 1997 were swapped from a 1988. I'm not sure you can get away with only swapping the t-case.

The early AW4 have the 21 spline shaft where the later ones have the 23 spline. If I read right, the trans and t-case in the 1997 were swapped from a 1988. I'm not sure you can get away with only swapping the t-case.

Fantastic. Well I guess it may just be a tranny swap tcase swap.

My 01 will have a good motor in it also just to answer your earlier question.

If I may make a suggestion knowing the xj. I would recommend swapping you're 01 drive train engine and all in 1 shot then the old trans/case could be sold off for parts and the engine from the 97 be the base for a full 4.7 stroker build since time will be available to do it all.

How long would an engine and drive train swap take?

Probably more time than a Saturday will allow.

We did a lot on Rusty's rig in one day but we had a buttload of people working on it.

If I'm in town I may be available for helping out where I can. It just depends on when it'll be and if I end up getting sent somewhere for work. It is a big undertaking swapping the drive line like that but think about the hassle of pulling a trans/case twice and installing it, if I had a lift and hoist I would opt for the drive train than fighting a trans and case twice.

Plus the PO swapped in an 88 trans and who knows about the flexplate or torque converter or any other part they changed around. (The people I bought it from didn't seem to intelligent.) Drive line would take unplugging a few connectors, remove driveshaft (which will have to be done for axle swap anyway), pull drive line in one piece along with computer. If we can get half a dozen bodies in on the wrenching can have the drive line pulled from the 97 and set to the side pretty quick I bet.

I think that will add quite a bit of time.

It took less than an hour with a helper to pull the complete drive train out of the XJ donor for my MJ. Rolling it slightly to the right and dropping it in the MJ was about an hour because we cared about not banging up the sheet metal.

I'd be in for this too. Brian, the reason for Ed asking about the motor, I might need one...

Back