• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I think it's time for a Wrenchfest!

Are you ready for some Wrenchin'????

Say it like the NFL Monday night football theme song, "Are you ready for some football?"

Wheew, it was a marathon day. I got up at 5 am and drove to Bosco's place. Got there a couple minutes to 6, loaded up his 2 Cherokees - an 01 on 37" beadlocks and a bone stock 97 - and drove about 90 minutes to Ed's.

The sun finally came up and it was a pretty morning - but cold - only around 18*. Brian drove the Jeep with no doors. I did too, but only the last 10 miles after he lost feeling in his knees.

IMG_1649_zps424d28a2.jpg

The goal was to take the 231 transfer case out of the 01 and the 242 from the 97, break open a donor 231 case, mix and match the halves, and do the swap. While that was happening, the 01 long arm suspension was going under the 97 and the 01 was going to rest in Ed's back forty.

In order to fit the 37's on the green Jeep, while the transfer case work was being done I trimmed the front and rear fenders and did a rear quarter cut and fold.

With just one stop for about 30 minutes to get some chili dogs and one quick run to town for more cut off wheels, we wrenched pretty continuously from about 7:30 am until the test drive of the '97 about 9:30 pm. Brian and I left about 10, got to Lebanon about 11:15 and I finally rolled back into my house about 12:15.

Now for the good stuff - pictures:

Suspension out of the '01
IMG_1650_zpsee6720f9.jpg

IMG_1651_zpsdfd96849.jpg

Getting the transfer case out of the '01
IMG_1653_zpsd5588e0c.jpg

Off to the parts yard

IMG_1654_zps29004d60.jpg

1997 finished product (bone stock to this in about 9 hours)
IMG_1658_zps9282bc9a.jpg

Looking good, wish i could have made it, feeling a bit under the weather.

oh maybe i missed it but was something wrong with the black jeep ? what was the reason for the body swap ?

We missed you Kris. Everyone was hoping you might make an appearance. I wondered the same thing and found that the entire passenger side A-pillar and roof rail were mashed up.

Alexia, sorry about the issues with the LJ. We were all wanting to talk stroker engines and I was hoping to get some advise. Maybe next time.

I want to thank everyone who came over. It was quite the marathon build and a lot was accomplished. Thanks to those who brought the stuff to eat and drink too.

I have a lot of fun wrenching but my hands are s sore today from pulling wrenches and my calves are mooing from walking on concrete all day.

Brian is missing a deep well 13/16 impact socket if anyone happens to have one. Also I have several items that belong to Coopman82, so I will bring those to work. I'm also missing a Stanley 3/8" drive ratchet if anyone finds one.

Thanks again for all the help. Drove home like a peach. I had a great time with this build yesterday.

When you have a handful of guys with some wrenches and plans, a lot can be accomplished. It's always good to get together and hang out and even though that was a lot of fun, I say we wait a month or 6 before another one. I'm not as spry as I used to be and I'm still feeling "it" tonight. ;)

I think I agree with you. I had visions of stuck bolts running through my head Saturday night. Lol. I definitely owe my services for future wrenchfests and builds so please let me know later down the road if anyone needs anything and I'll be happy to help.

Update... I found my socket. I also put my bumper on.

IMG_20150215_154926860_HDR_zpsltzf57oo.jpg

Looks really good!

Brian, I think I have a North Face jacket that is yours.

Anyone find a Stanley 3/8" ratchet?

Yes. That is mine. I'll grab it at the next fest, meet, or ride. Whichever comes first.

I'm thinking we need to do a "Eat and Greet" somewhere central to middle TN.

That bumper makes me want a tube bender. It is the epitome of a super simple, easy to build bumper that still looks great. I bet it only took Joe Dirt down there at EOR an hour to build that...

Looks really good!

Brian, I think I have a North Face jacket that is yours.

Anyone find a Stanley 3/8" ratchet?

I've got it Ed. Sorry man. I have a Stanley set also, and must have picked yours up not noticing that mine was already in my tool box.

I'll get it to you at LBL work day - if not sooner.

I'm a ratchet collector. I have one of KP's also!

looks good, missed being able to get out and see everyone. Hope all is well and hope to get out and see everyone soon. Will try and find the next meet and greet.

Back