• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I NEED HELP ASAP! BAD DEATH WOBBLE

4X4rix

NAXJA Forum User
I LIFTED MY JEEP LIKE A MONTH AGO N IM HAVING THE DEATH WOBBLE N I CANT FIGURE THE PROBLEM OUT. ANYBODY DOWN TO GIVE ME HAND??

how high?
what kit?
what have you tried thus far?

and stop yellling.

if you changed out the tracbar, make sure its tight. the bracket needs to be SUPER TIGHT.

have someone sit in the car with it parked but running, and have them turn the wheel lock to lock, while you look for unusual movement/clunks/binding.

Step away from the capslock key, before somebody gets hurt. Lol.

What have you checked? No info = no way for us to help you figure it out man :dunno:

Hello.
Are you still here? After i changed my track bar i found i didn't CHECK all the BOLTS, tighten everything like they said and check toe..

YOU need to GIVE all INFO when wanting help..
Hope you get her done

its a 4.5" rough country lift. i got an alignment on it done thinking it would solve it but im still having trouble with it. i live in La Habra. wats the toe??

Well everybody's said just about everything so i'll throw in my 2 cents worth. A bad tie rod end on the track bar was the culprit of my death wobble. HTH. :D

Are the front tires balanced? How do the axle end UCA bushings look?

Gone a few rounds with death wobble myself.....

you need to check every moving part in the front end.

upper control arms - check the busings on both ends.
lower control arms - ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Tie rod ends - check for play (they should pivot around the stud but be a little hard to move, and have no up and down play at all)
track bar - you say you have a 4.5" lift, you should have an adjustable track bar on there then. make sure its adjusted correctly per the instructions in the kit, and check the bolts on both ends to make sure they are tight. loose track bar bolts are the culprit 70% or so of the time. Also make sure the bolts holding the frame side bracket are tight.
hubs & ball joints - jack the axle up one side at a time and give each tire a good shake. you shouldn't be able to move it any way but turning it. grab the top and bottom and try to move the tire forward and back, and push the top & pull the bottom and try to move it that way. if it moves at all take it off and start looking at the hubs and the ball joints.

good luck. like i said check anything that moves. something has some play in it - you just haven't found it yet.

I have a 97 xj and had death wobble on it, I could not reach 25+ mph, and i put a steering dampener on it and it took some of it away, but I just need to tighten the track bar down and hoping it should be fixed but you should try a dampener it could help.

Steering dampener just masks the problem.

There are plenty of things that need to be checked after your ride is lifted.

The only thing that cured my DW was the RE Extreme Duty Track bar...

i cant thursday mornings i work. UCA bushings? ima check it out n check everything is tight on there. thnx guys.

my stabilizer makes swishy noises when I take it off and cycle it, I just put it back on for looks :D

The general oppinion around here is the steering stabilizer will just mask problems that you should fix anyway. plenty of rigs are driving around without them and have no DW whatsoever.

Back