• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do we like the wj?

In an XJ / MJ, it somehow seems reasonable. It's power and efficiency that the 4.0 simply can't compete with. The WJ's 4.7 isn't as reliable as the Chevy 4.8 - but the car *already* has a V8 with 260 - 300 HP in it, and it's no easier to swap to the Chevy because of it. So the only gain is more reliable cylinder heads and maybe some space to work on it (pushrods vs ohc)
If the WJ's native engine was blown, though, and you already had a 4.8 or 5.3 laying around...

The Chryco 4.7 is indeed a wide beast with the DOHC, but it is also short -- when Jeep was working on putting the 5.7L Hemi in the GC (WK), they tested it in a WJ, but had to add IIRC nearly 8" of front frame to get it in. I think most Chevy engine's would have similar problems in the WJ engine compartment, though I recall there is a guy on pirate with a 5.3 in WJ.

You guys are sure tough to please! If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Seems like it would be easier to address whatever goes wrong with the 4.7, if it fails, rather than trying to engineer something better.

I really love the way my 4.7 runs. It is smooth, quiet, powerful and gets better mileage than my XJ.

Keep in mind that I paid 16% of what the original owner spent to buy the thing new 10 years before me.

I fully expect to spend time and money on maintenance and repairs over the time I own it. I have already fixed the blend doors, heater core, condenser, exhaust manifold, radiator fan, valve cover gaskets and thermostat. And I still consider the car a bargain. :) It is all part of Jeep ownership. If we didn't want to work on our junk we would all be driving (insert name of 100% reliable car here).

This is how things looked when I changed the valve cover gaskets at 160,000 miles:
large.jpg

BTW, I only found one cam in there. ;)

I see no sludge there!

My lifted wj on 32's, gets 3-4 mpg better than my xj on 33's, all day long. I love the 4.7, and especially my 4.7HO.

Sickness.
Makes more sense in one that came with a 4.0 but, damn, GM powered WJ sounds fun.

GM powered (almost) anything is awesome.

h[URL=http://s33.photobucket.com/user/mfsj1/media/IMG_0043_zps21b1b068.jpg.html]
IMG_0043_zps21b1b068.jpg
[/URL]ttp://

This is my 2004 Overland bought it 2 yrs ago with 203,000 mi on it a one owner I might add. It was on CL for 2 months when I finally called on it the guy just lived a short distance away from me. I found that he had very few calls on it because of the mileage on it. He offered to bring it over to my house to see it I live on a farm in the country.

When he got to my house and I went to look ay it I was amazed to say the least. It was a black pearl metal flake without a blemish on it outside anywhere period and new tires to boot. My wife came out and had a fit about me not going to but a new 4x4 SUV now lol really.

The black and gray leather interior was perfect also and had every option offered nav, tire pressure had it all, and it all Worked! He was asking $5900 for it but I paid $5100 a good buy in any book. He was a sales rep and drove it a lot but all service was done at a Chrysler/Jeep dealership even the oil changes.

The first thing I did was change all the fluids dif. ft, rear, transfer case, transmission, antifreeze, new brakes all around. I did use syn fluids in about everything also.

Oh yes one thing I failed to mention was that at 187,000 mi Jeep replaced the engine with a new (not reman) long block then everything else on it rebuilt or replaced. I did have all the paperwork from the first oil change in 2004 to the day I bought it. I have no doubts that I will never have a deal like this again. Plus it's a wonderful tow rig.

How does the WJ pull with the XJ on the trailer?? I have a 03 WJ limited with a 4.7HO, has 238,000 miles on it and I wonder how it would tow my XJ.

been keeping an eye on this thread... i'll be in the market for a new stocker very soon, and i'm stuck between a cheapo (but good condition) XJ and a WJ overland. i know the XJ will be reliable for the most part, but the comforts and "already-built-ness" of an overland is VERY nice. theres a lot of stuff a few hours drive from me with this kind of mileage and this kind of money...

http://albany.craigslist.org/cto/4324527102.html

i'm thinking 02 bc of the factory upcountry and skids... bc then all i really need to do, if anything, is a 2-3" lift and 31/32s and its DONE. ability to move all four tires is there, full skids and tow hooks already on.

I'd go with the WJ if I was in your shoes. Interior quality is miles ahead, more power, reportedly better mpg, much more refined suspension. Etc.

been keeping an eye on this thread... i'll be in the market for a new stocker very soon, and i'm stuck between a cheapo (but good condition) XJ and a WJ overland. i know the XJ will be reliable for the most part, but the comforts and "already-built-ness" of an overland is VERY nice. theres a lot of stuff a few hours drive from me with this kind of mileage and this kind of money...

http://albany.craigslist.org/cto/4324527102.html

i'm thinking 02 bc of the factory upcountry and skids... bc then all i really need to do, if anything, is a 2-3" lift and 31/32s and its DONE. ability to move all four tires is there, full skids and tow hooks already on.

Dude.... do it. I have basically that jeep, looks like it is my Onyx Green color too.

It shreds offroad. You can't beat 330 ft/lbs and factory LSD's front and rear. You don't even HAVE to be in 4low, the 4Fulltime works amazing and it is way easier to deal with than my xj with a lockright in the front.

3 inches and JK take off's- All you need.

Untitled by Sean Mitchell 707, on Flickr

It looks pretty damn sexy too. -

And just remember-
My xj with the 4.0 -190 hp @ 4750 rpm-225 lb·ft @ 2400 rpm

My wj with the 4.7HO --270 hp @ 5100 RPM -330 LB-FT @ 3600 rpm

Trust me, it is a fun DD. ahaha

I think you should come to CO and buy mine ;)

I think you should come to CO and buy mine ;)

lol i saw your ad. $5k is right at the top of my price range, and the last time i was in colorado i DESTROYED my jeep hahaha.

anything in particular to look out for with these things? obv you can tell if it has been maintained or not, but any weird items like the 44 whining?

lol i saw your ad. $5k is right at the top of my price range, and the last time i was in colorado i DESTROYED my jeep hahaha.

anything in particular to look out for with these things? obv you can tell if it has been maintained or not, but any weird items like the 44 whining?

In the overland, the biggest thing is the blend doors in the electronic climate control. The late production 2004's don't have this issue. Mine didn't.

Other than that, the heads will drop the valve seat if the thing is overheated. The coolant is a 5year 100K hybrid organic additive technology (hoat) fluid, and anything else will cause corrosion and cooling issues. The coolant tank up near the passenger side dash should be a healthy pink color.

The power steering and tcase fluids are WJ specific, for the steering it is a mopar fluid because it has a connected hydraulic cooling fan. The tcase fluid is mopar only also, because of the viscous coupling in the 247 case.

I'd interrogate the seller for maintenance and repair info, those are things you don't want to skip.

Rust is common at the spring perches, because the isolators trap water.

Other than that, the older models have rotor issues but that was largely fixed by 02. The 02-04s can be used with the superchip tuner, the easiest way to make major HP, torque and driveability changes. You can also easily change the speedometer reading easily.

When I got my overland, I changed the oil, the pcv valve, fuel filter and did a major inspection of everything, at 89K miles, it is doing very well.

Back