• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hi everyone!

You are right Lady wolf. We are all here to do a job and im sure none of us really want to be here. But it is what we sighned up for so we just make the best of it. Im not far from falluja. Also i know all about those (out side the whire experiances) I go out bout 3-4 times a week. Its not all that fun. I usualy haull back things that have bean hit by IED's. Hey if ya get a chance send me a email [email protected] As for the 3 inch lift and 31's you should be fine with just the lift and some shocks. Break lines would be a plus also.

Spc Stauffer Camp JC Iraq :us:

K9Cop said:
A SYE is a good idea anytime in my opinion, but not mandatory w/ a 3" lift. 31" will work great w/ a 3" lift.

Actually depends... older XJ's (pre 96) ussually don't need it, but newer ones most likely will....

turbobaja1835 said:
Whatever, I don't expect you to understand. I really don't feel like fighting with you all over this. Not worth my time.

What an ass! :rolleyes:

3"+- lift and 31" ATs or MTs is IMO probably the best of both worlds as far as overall usefulness. It might give up a bit of handling but would gain a bunch of off-road capability.

What one 'saved' over the cost of a taller lift is wisely invested in a set of gears and some traction-diffs. (assuming that skid-plates, rocker guards, tow points, & all the other little doo-dads are squared away)

Get back safe!

Thanks...

jeep stuff

as far as my lift, i was thinking either RE or Skyjacker. 31x10.50 MT baja claws or BFG AT's, and AR atlas wheels. No matter what I was probably going to put the YSE on, because my XJ is a 99. I dont mind giving up some handling, as long as I can keep my bumpers and stuff out of the dirt. When I get back stateside the factory bumpers are coming off and I'm putting some new ones on. some smart guy decided that my white factory bumper looked better with a red and black streak along the left corner. And of course some drunk pissed off at some other person in my unit who owns a 2 door xj was rather unobservant and he/she KEYED MY JEEP! Not happy bout that either. With my new bumpers, i was prolly gonna put an ARB with a winch mount in the front, and mebbe one of the new ones from bulletproof mfg on the rear, with a tire swing out mount and a highlift mount. it even has a mount for a jerry can or two. the only prob. with bulletproof's webpage is that they dont give prices with their bumpers. Anyone else with some good ideas or good places to go, i would be really grateful. THANKS!

:patriot: not to ruin the thread but i cant help myself after reading turbobajas' coment. what an ass you are. i served in the corps. i know how marines feel like we are better than the other services.its just the pride marines have. but they are serving and protecting this country just like the marines are. now is not the time to put down other branches of the millitary. its guys like you who give marines a bad name. my thoughts and prayers go out to all the service members over there. :patriot:

bumpers

K9, thanks for the website, i went and checked it out. he had some decent stuff, but it wouldnt specify what kind of bumper or anything for the scratch and dent stuff. I almost bought, but decided not to cuz i dont want to be payin for anything that I cant guarantee I'll like or that I"ll fit on my cherokee. Warn makes a good front bumper, I may go with them if I can find a local dealer for my area at home. Only prob is is that I looked at their rear bumpers and the ones for XJ dont go on 99's, they only go up to 96.

Kris

I can understand not buying something if you don't know what it is. You can always call them. I've dealt w/ a few people from Rusty's over the phone and he's a very personable person to deal w/. Just a thought. Good luck!

bumpers

K9, would love to call Rusty's, but being iraq kind of puts a damper on the calling idea. I'll most likely just wait till I get back stateside before I buy anything that I cant take back. Question, with your 31's, did you have to backspace your wheels or anything? What else do you have done to yours?

Kris

I did not.....

I ran 31X10.50 on stock rims. No rubbing at all. Then I went to 33X1250 on stock rims and it rubbed on compression front and rear. Was real close to the leafs too. With 31's you shoufl be fine with stock rims but if you want to go bigger later then get a little less backspaced.

Thanks to both of you for what you are doing over there and I hope both of you (along with everyone else there) makes it home safely. I started a project XJ which I'm calling "Tribute", dedicated to all the veterans throughout the years who have sacrificed their time, their family and friends, their freedoms and even their lives. It's going to have a military theme and I'm trying to incorporate a objects that were in each and every war. For instance I have some insignias from WW1, shell casings from the Battle of the Bulge in WW2. If you would like to offer something from Iraq to signify I would really appreciate it. Just email me at [email protected] and I'll definitely return the favor if you ever need anything.

No backspacing for me either. I rubbed in the front w/ the sway-bars off at full compression. I extended my bumpstops and had no more problems. Besides the lift and tow points front and rear, I really haven't done anything else to it. Unless you consider a throttle body spacer and K&N filter extra mods. I'm very happy w/ the way it is though. With just a 3" lift and some 31" A/T meats it was a major improvment off-road for me. My XJ is my dream car and I wouldn't want anything else. I found a swing out tire carrier at the bone yard I'm gonna get, but other than that I really don't want to do too much more to it. Take care of yourself over there and tell all the K-9 guys n gals I said "Hey!".

lift kit

Well, I just bought my lift kit, bought the RE 3.5'' super flex kit from the dealer, wasnt too bad of a price. Emailed my folks and told 'em not to let my brother get his sticky fingers on my lift or it would be gone (or the major parts I would need). Anyone else who runs a RE lift, anything else I might need to get to make the lift go in easier? Oh, and what kind of shocks are you running? I thought about adding in the Rancho rxs9000 but I didnt know if they were the right ones for my jeep or not, so i held off.
Umm, we really arent allowed to bring anything special home....it depends on what you want. Because of customs nowadays, and the anthrax scares and everything else, i'm surprised they're letting us leave with our clothes, because dang neared anything else that's cloth (camo, old tents, etc. . ) we're turning in that way we dont have to clean and send home. So no dirt, bones, animals, etc. . . give me an idea of what you want, and I'll see if i cant get it, ok? Hope to see you guys out wheeling soon!

Kris

ladywolf said:
Well, I just bought my lift kit, bought the RE 3.5'' super flex kit from the dealer, wasnt too bad of a price. Emailed my folks and told 'em not to let my brother get his sticky fingers on my lift or it would be gone (or the major parts I would need). Anyone else who runs a RE lift, anything else I might need to get to make the lift go in easier? Oh, and what kind of shocks are you running? I thought about adding in the Rancho rxs9000 but I didnt know if they were the right ones for my jeep or not, so i held off.
Umm, we really arent allowed to bring anything special home....it depends on what you want. Because of customs nowadays, and the anthrax scares and everything else, i'm surprised they're letting us leave with our clothes, because dang neared anything else that's cloth (camo, old tents, etc. . ) we're turning in that way we dont have to clean and send home. So no dirt, bones, animals, etc. . . give me an idea of what you want, and I'll see if i cant get it, ok? Hope to see you guys out wheeling soon!

Kris

I'm running the RE 5.5 kit on my XJ. I think its a very well built kit, no major gripes with it except for the control arm drop brackets that NEVER go on easliy. I would have to recomend the Old Man Emu shocks, I upgraded to them with my lift kit and they are great. They really ride well and seem to give it a better overall feel. You'll want to get a few cans of PBblaster to help with those bolts that may be a bit rusted. Another item you may want to consider is new brake lines for the front. You can relocate the hardlines you have on there now to give you a few extra inches, but new ones would be better. Also you may want to consider some of the JKS quick disconnects. They are about 100x better then anything else out there, but they are a few $$$. You can run the ones that came with the kit, but i'll tell you this, they did not spend much devlopment time on them.

Good Luck out there, I would love to come out there and tinker on some blackhawks!!! See if you can get me a week long pass or something :yelclap: I'll come and put your lift on and do your slip yoke eliminator if you can swing it.

-Scott

stuff from iraq

cherokee, i dont think I could fit the duece in my stuff to bring home. sides, the us postal service doesnt really like it when we try to ship large caliber weapons home. it was a good idea though. sintax...if i go to ft lewis next i'll definitely drop ya a line and let you come up and work on it, and mebbe i'll even let ya go out on the airfield with me and look at the 'hawks. They are fun to wrench on, cuz the manuals for 'em are done at like a 6th grade reading level, but some things are a major pain because of where they are located (the infamous upside down backwards cant see the bolt cuz its behind something else syndrome). been busy here, just got off of another duty this morning and went back and passed out for 7 hours. How much did the old man emu shocks run ya? I'm wheeling on a e4 budget which is damn close to min. wage (1600 a month before taxes). Out here i get paid a little better because i'm deployed, but still.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4288509033

Definetly goe with the OME Shocks, they"ll run between 55-60 bucks apiece, but ooooooooohhh what a difference they make.

I run a RE6130 on my '96.

Likewise on the JKS discos, the RE's squeak quite abit.

shocks

Well, I ended up getting bilstein 5100's. So we'll see how those run on my cherokee before I do anything else too drastic. I still need to buy wheels/tires, and have no clue what i want yet. I'm prolly gonna run BFG mud A/T's because they wear well, but I dont want to keep my stock rims (they suck). So depending on money situation when I get back, and how much I have to do to my jeep to get it running correctly after sittin for a year, we'll see how my project goes.

Kristen

The 5100 are great shocks so you can't go wroung there. As for wheels If you can find a set of factory TJ 8in wheels the back spacing is realy good for you aplication and the caynon looks great on a XJ. Thanks for doing a great job overthere My dad and I have both served and know what its like so be safe and see you when you get to go wheelin.

Back