• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heepspeed's Mojave Road Trip April 15-18

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have done this trip before, definatally a blast, I would also be interested once the dates are set in stone.

I vote for 4/8-11...that's 2 weeks after the SoCalXJ group's Jambo, and 2 weeks before NAXJA SoCal Fest. That being said, there's no guarantee I can go, but I'd sure love to!

Yea - still working on dates, but that won't work. I finish my school semester on April 13 so it needs to be after that. Then school begins 3 weeks later (just need to get exact date)

Don't forget you will need to bring a small-medium size rock and a penny with you.....

And a copy of the Mojave Road Guide. New spiral bound edition with GPS waypoints now available. http://www.mdhca.org/mdhcamrguide.html

Soda Dry Lake across from Zzyzx.

Soda Not-So-Dry Lake:
DCP_1864.jpg

Check to see if our sticker is still there:
DCP_1987-1.jpg

NOTE: YOU CAN HAVE UP TO 8 VEHICLES BEFORE YOU NEED A PERMIT. I AM NOT GETTING A PERMIT. IF WE HAVE TO, MAYBE WE CAN BE "TWO GROUPS", BUT OTHERWISE DON'T COMMIT IF YOU AREN'T COMING! :)

Close, but not quite.

http://www.nps.gov/moja/planyourvisit/permits.htm

Special Park Recreation Use Permit
A Special Park Recreation Use Permit is required for some activities within Mojave National Preserve. A non-refundable application fee is required from all applicants, regardless of whether or not the permit is issued. There are two fee categories, depending on the nature of the proposed activity:
Groups of at least 7 vehicles or 15 participants for common recreational activities (rock climbing, hunting, fishing or trapping, equestrian use, bicycling, street-legal motorcycle or all-terrain vehicle use, backcountry use and roadside vehicle camping).
Application Fee:
$5o
Special park use requests including but not limited to: weddings, sporting events, ceremonies/gatherings, entertainment, and public spectator attractions.
Application Fee:
$70
Proof of insurance and posting of a bond may also be required. For more information, call (760) 252-6107 or e-mail us.

Thanks, Andy!

ps: How did you get out of Soda Lake? You look pretty stuck!

About 3 1/2 hours of digging and hi-lifting. And then 4 hours of washing the undercarriage the next day.

I should be out at the Razor road OHV area the weekend of Easter with my RV and my buddies. Prolly Fri-Mon. Theres nothing like searching for Easter eggs in the sand and the brush on Sunday morning. If you went that week, I could show you around out there. From Soda Dry lake, which you will have already crossed, Indian hieroglyphics, The Bowl (Sand dune area), China Wall (old mining area), Afton Canyon. Plus from there, it is only a few miles to I-15 and the gas station and a few more to Baker, if you need any replenishments.

If it is any other weekend, I may be interested in going as well. I have wanted to do this for a long time. Don't currently have anything to wheel though. Hopefully, I will have something before then. Maybe I will have to take my stock, 4x4, 2005 Durango. Not a whole lot of ground clearance on that thing though.

OK so
Work event April 17th for me :(
SoCalFest April 24
wknd b4 school is April 30

so I'm going to find out if I HAVE to attend this work event I have. Last year, we were not supposed to go - hopefully it'll be the same situation!

Hey HeepSpeed. I am definitely interested in this. I know the sierra chapter is planning a trip to. Why cant we all just do a big run through it. All pitch in to pay the fee.

When are they going?

I have to work my event so I'm down to skipping the trip, skipping the SoCalFest or going the weekend before school which might or might not be possible due to reading before semester start.

I'd love to go out there but I really don't think it's going to happen this year, maybe next year around this time as mid-April is about the perfect time vegetation wise.

Don't forget you will need to bring a small-medium size rock and a penny with you.....

Old bus in the middle of nowhere.

Entering the Joshua Tree Forest.

Sunset at Midhills Campground

See the faces in the rock?

Kelso Station.

Soda Dry Lake across from Zzyzx.

also, if you have any small garden knomes bring those too for the knome tree. :]

where do you guys plan on exiting the trail? i live in bullhead city, AZ wich is just a few minutes from the end. if you guys want, i could meet you there and take ou on a run?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back