• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heepspeed's Mojave Road Trip April 15-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeepSpeed

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Guys,

This is a feeler thread for those interested in doing more of an adventure trip than a rock crawling trip.

Announcing Heep's 2010 First Time Mojave Road Trip!

Ever wanted to get away from it all? Leave worries behind? I do and I like to do it where I can camp, explore new areas and see things I've never seen before!

This trip is not for the light hearted. Your vehicle needs to be ship shape!

NOTE: YOU CAN HAVE UP TO 8 VEHICLES BEFORE YOU NEED A PERMIT. I AM NOT GETTING A PERMIT. IF WE HAVE TO, MAYBE WE CAN BE "TWO GROUPS", BUT OTHERWISE DON'T COMMIT IF YOU AREN'T COMING! :) (Cal did it nicely..."pencil" him in!)

My personal requirements for attendees:
1. Adventure Spirit
2. Water containers for 3 days (there are no "pit stops" on the road)
3. No BS - fighting in the desert is a nono with the Adventure Brigade...unless against the dog.
4. No heavy drugs...PM if you have questions.
5. Interest in history (we have books and stuff and will be stopping to read about what we're looking at)
6. ENVIRONMENTAL RESPECT - DO NOT go off trail. The desert is fragile...even the sand dunes.
7. Recovery - Including tow rope, recovery points front and rear, CB radio (optional), jack, FULL SIZE spare tire, tire repair kit (optional), air compressor (optional), TOOLS
8. Current Registration.
9. 5 or more gallons of extra fuel

There will be more posted as I gather info and what not, but yea

Plan so far is the drive out to the trail head to camp on Thursday night - run the trail and explore Friday-Sunday and book it back to Los Angeles (for me) on Sunday evening/night.

Anybody interested? I'll post some photos to stir interest!

note: This is not a rock crawling trip...just a desert adventure (stock vehicles welcome!!!! and FAMILIES OK as long as you're good with the average 25yo shenanigans....
lurker.gif
)

photos.gif

attachment.php

attachment.php

697224085_xY2G3-X2.jpg 697223041_VKFgA-X2.jpg

Last edited:
I've done this trip a half dozen or so times, it is one of my favorites. You should include extra fuel in your requirements, you need it.

Talk to me at the SoCal Jambo in March to see if I have the time to go, but pencil me in.

my dad and I have talked recently about this trip. I'd be coming with my wife and possibly two of my three kids in my xj. He'd be in his built FJ80, probably with his wife.

We'll definitely stay in touch with this thread to update our "go-ability".

thanks!

-Brian

Don't forget you will need to bring a small-medium size rock and a penny with you.....

Old bus in the middle of nowhere.

Entering the Joshua Tree Forest.

Sunset at Midhills Campground

See the faces in the rock?

Kelso Station.

Soda Dry Lake across from Zzyzx.

he said stockers welcome doood its called READING lol :p hey bro where da fa u been?

peace
ted

Read it again Ted....

"7. Recovery - Including tow rope, recovery points front and rear, CB radio (optional), jack, FULL SIZE spare tire, tire repair kit (optional), air compressor (optional), TOOLS"

I know my XJ didn't come stock with recovery points.......

UPDATE: THE TRIP IS NOW APRIL 23 - 25 due to a work event on my part.

Necessary Mods - recovery points like tow hooks or trailer hitch

Optional mods - aux lights for nighttime prerunning, check Expedition Portal for overland travel mods galore!

thats the weekend of SoCal Fest in Big Bear...

I vote for 4/8-11...that's 2 weeks after the SoCalXJ group's Jambo, and 2 weeks before NAXJA SoCal Fest. That being said, there's no guarantee I can go, but I'd sure love to!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back