• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlight data thread

Been running them for a month. no issues yet and they don't throw light everywhere like an HID in the same housing would. And Yes, there are better options. I know that but I can't afford them.

Let us discuss wire gauge. Here is a nice calculator to use: http://www.solar-wind.co.uk/cable-sizing-DC-cables.html .

IMO, wire sized greater than required is money wasted. A 100 Watt bulb will require 100A/14ADc = 7.14 Amps of continuous current, plus inrush.

Using the calculator, providing it with 14 volts, 7.1 Amps, a run length of one meter and specifying a 1% run loss factor gives a wire size of 14 AWG. At 5% loss, 21 AWG.

Why 14 volts? That is the actual operating voltage, not 12. Well, it is if the alternator is working properly...

Agreed. I used a similar chart from my ASE-targeted textbook and used 13.5 volts. Decided on 12 ga wire to each bulb with 10 AWG feeds to the relays. Overkill is nice but not to the point of needing 10 AWG to the bulbs. Results, with even plain jane H4 housings and bulbs, are fantastic. Also - my Hella 100W bulbs burnt out after 6 months or so. Replaced them with a middle of the road 60/55 and I think the usable light is actually better...

I will say I am not impressed with my hella clear visions housings !
I have a harness and 80/100 watt hella bulbs seems to me the light is scattered.I have adjusted them I will try adjusting them alittle more to see if that helps. I like sharp cut off lines going to try the auto pal housings if my adjusting does nothing for me.

I hear nothing but good about Cibie housings, though at 160 / pair, I'd damn well hope to hear nothing but good.
I think Truck-Lite has a 5x7 housing as well, $90 / pair IIRC

I will say I am not impressed with my hella clear visions housings !
I have a harness and 80/100 watt hella bulbs seems to me the light is scattered.I have adjusted them I will try adjusting them alittle more to see if that helps. I like sharp cut off lines going to try the auto pal housings if my adjusting does nothing for me.

I have hella DOT housings and the beam is great.

Do tell.

Thus far every customer who has them is pleased. They don't throw as much light as certain HID's claim but generally the beam pattern has been much more favorable. Still undergoing testing of how they act in certain conversion housings but so far we can't say there are any housings to truly shy away from. Less power draw= no upgraded harness needed, and last MUCH longer.

Oh yea, backed by a lifetime warranty too!

Is there, perhaps, some confusing between the Zeus bulbs and the 400 lumen bulbs sold on Amazon?

Been following cruiser 54s thread on CF and after reading some more I just ordered Auto Pal e code housings . As stated I have hella vision plus housings and they are just not getting it done for me . Low beam is ok but high beam is a joke . I have 80/100 bulbs in them with a harness .

About Sterns products... I wanted a harness but then read I'd have to do my own legwork for the wires, crimping, heat shrink etc etc. If 'wiring' is so easy to get, why doesnt he just get some and put together a complete product? I am glad to pay for quality, but I'm not going to run out and pay $50 for something I then have to do all the work out. Just charge $80-90 for a good complete harness I can open up and install.

Because his harnesses are not a one size fits all. He doesn't just cater to one specific car. He sells you some parts you may have to hunt for and good quality relays, not the crap relays that come with other harnesses.

Autopals are half the price...not sure if the Hella's are worth double of them?

I bought a set of Autopals years and found them to be very thin. First week long trip to the back roads of Death Valley broke both of theme from thrown gravel The IPF replacements have survived dozens of trips with only minor surface pitting
Sometimes yo do get what you pay for.

I committed to the Autopals because a read a couple reviews where people liked the light pattern over the IPF's... If they get trashed I'll try the IPF's.. cost was the same on either one.

14awg is fine unless you want to run really high wattage bulbs. At 130watts, the highest I've seen for an H4, you'd be right at the limits of 14 awg. At 60 watts, a normal h4, no need to go bigger.
Knowing what I now do, I'd probably have bought that harness instead of making my own.

I run autopals, I'm on my second set simply because the others got dirty on the inside from too many mud holes. Eventually I'll do a retrofit but it's not my top priority. Cheap harnesses are kinda janky. If I do it again I'll build one.

Last edited:
Back