• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Harold of the Rocks

so I got my rubbers!

2012-03-07_16-42-51_880.jpg

37/14/r16.5 cant wait!

I should get my jeep back tomorrow from my buddy with a fresh non-leaking motor.
then the fun begins.

Soooooo .... about those two almost brand new Dick Cepeks you have laying around ......

PS - Your Jeep is gonna be AWESOME!!!!!

Thanks.you mean the dick seepage? And as long as i get the 14b in before nacfest there as good as yours. Id say there about 60% tread. But thats still alot left for them. I can bring them with me then.

nice tires!

I want to do a 44 swap after this deployment in the front and run 37's.

I might need to pull on your experience for help. Especially since your only 15 minutes away.

ugh. so I still dont have my jeep back. he had to get a new pilot bearing and race. and new he went to put the new motor back in and he sees that about 1/3 of my bell housing is broken off. Idk how he didnt notice that till now.

I brought it to a welder and he said he could weld it but he thinks it would warp and shrink too much to be usable afterwards. and the junk yards by me that inventory what they have dont have 5 speed xjs. so he thinks he has one from a wrangler laying around. I hope so cause Im getting nervous about getting all this done in time for NAC fest now.

on a side note I finally got my lockrite and it says I need to make sure my cross shaft has been hardened. but says nothing about how. what do I just heat it till it red and drop it in some water or oil?

how the hell did the bellhousing manage to break?

What I would do is bolt the bellhousing to your old engine while the welder is doing his thing. Should keep all the important parts from shrinking relative to each other.

I think a wrangler one will work fine, as long as it's external slave... iirc the only difference is the way the 231 is clocked which isn't relevant to a bellhousing.

Worst case, I can grab the bellhousing off the 2wd AX15 '98 chili pepper red that is in a local JY right now (it is basically a super lame body twin of yours and travis' XJs.) I hate pulling transmissions but if it means you make nacfest vs not making nacfest I will.

on a side note I finally got my lockrite and it says I need to make sure my cross shaft has been hardened. but says nothing about how. what do I just heat it till it red and drop it in some water or oil?
Pretty vague there, hardened to what?
Just do the super easy unsophisticated file test. Grab a round file and drag it across the surface. If it is "hard" (something like Rockwell C 60 or greater) it will just glid off without much of a mark. If it is "soft" (something like Rockwell C 45 or less) it will make a gouge and dig in a bit.

Do the above, if it doesn't mark much run it. If you've got something deep after a slight drag with the file, grab a new one.

If you do weld the bellhousin, make sure you check the runout on it in relation to the center bore.

My aftermarket bellhousing calls for under .010" offcenter.

how the hell did the bellhousing manage to break?

What I would do is bolt the bellhousing to your old engine while the welder is doing his thing. Should keep all the important parts from shrinking relative to each other.

I think a wrangler one will work fine, as long as it's external slave... iirc the only difference is the way the 231 is clocked which isn't relevant to a bellhousing.

Worst case, I can grab the bellhousing off the 2wd AX15 '98 chili pepper red that is in a local JY right now (it is basically a super lame body twin of yours and travis' XJs.) I hate pulling transmissions but if it means you make nacfest vs not making nacfest I will.

idk how it broke buy its pretty bad. ill try to go get a pic now. and I appreciate it but you dont have to. Ill still make it but I might just be Full width front stock width rear if I dont have the time to get the 14B in.

Pretty vague there, hardened to what?
Just do the super easy unsophisticated file test. Grab a round file and drag it across the surface. If it is "hard" (something like Rockwell C 60 or greater) it will just glid off without much of a mark. If it is "soft" (something like Rockwell C 45 or less) it will make a gouge and dig in a bit.

Do the above, if it doesn't mark much run it. If you've got something deep after a slight drag with the file, grab a new one.

so it should already be hardened? it said to do the file test and If it fails to get a hardened one. Why the F doesent it just come with a flippen new hardened shaft.

how the hell!?

That might have something to do with your RMS getting boogered up, too. How was the last main bearing, if you checked it?

I was thinking the same thing. the bearing looked ok but the race had alittle scoring going on. and the crank had some scoring. I figured the un even pressure the clutch would put on the flywheel would mess stuff up.

That's what I was thinking too. The side loading from the transmission sagging down/bouncing around on the end of the crank can't have done it many favors.

Back