• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

GUNS & AMMO

Man, nobody mess with Lopez clan........ :D

Looks like Mike shoots lIke I do, stiff and straight left arm, right arm pushing in for tension leaving the top muscles in the right arm loose for trigger pull....... am I right?

I see your brother is a south-paw huh? Both he and your dad(?) have bent, casual arms. Seems they'd be fighting recoil a bit.

Are you the better shot of the 3 of ya?

Ya I'm trying new shooting position. I used to shoot offset but now am trying isosceles with arms as you described. Trigger pull is a lot smoother and I've reduce the 'tug' when shooting. Just trying to get used to the change in coming up to sight picture. The po7 is easier than glock was for me and fits hand a bit better as well so hopefully that'll help me out. Brother is in transitional phase from shooting righty to lefty. He is starting from scratch basically. So he is going offset to try and force himself to use left eye/hand vs right when he would stand isosceles. Eventually that's what he will go back to.

I definitely have the tighter groups. Dad has faster follow up shots. But I usually get first round off sooner and more accurately. My sister is surprisingly accurate with her misquito. But she's a good bit slower on the trigger. She keeps about a 3"group at 15 meters. But had act testing so couldn't join this trip.

Are you guys working with an instructor? Or do in all this on your own?

Yeah I can't shoot glocks, the grip angle is too much so my grip on one has the barrel aimed upwards when drawn.

We still need to do a naxja shoot day sometime......:thumbup:

Nope just us. Grandpa used to be quite the bad ass with 3-gun and cowboy shooting so he gives a lot of advice. Otherwise trial and error, reading, and dry tests at home. Lol
Some glocks I can do. Mostly the sub compacts. Otherwise not my jam.
I totally agree on naxja shoot :thumbup:

Ok, so one of the guys on my team hauls in a bin full of ammo he said he was just gonna have our bomb team dispose of. I asked to look it over....... a bunch of odd calibers. Nothing real traditional.

Old to older boxes but he says his dad (who passed recently) liked to shoot old guns and had a full reloading set up. He says he believes most of the rifle rounds are reloads done within the last 6 years. Many of the boxes are marked with the specifics of the materials used in the reloads, some are not.

Because most of these were calibers I'd never even heard of, I asked if I could have them and see if I could find them homes rather than have them destroyed.

Maybe some of this stuff is rare and hard to come by? Maybe someone here could use some or all of this stuff, or help find someone who could. Maybe give a couple bucks for it - would love to hand him and his kids a little Xmas bonus for his Dad's stuff. :dunno:

Here's the list of what we have:

Not photo'd:

All 20 gauge shells appear to be new in the box:
20 gauge Hollow Point rifled slug - 5 shells
20 gauge 2 3/4 6 shot Duck and Pheasant 50 shells
20 gauge 2 1/4 9 shot Skeet load and a few Squirrel loads 25 shells
20 gauge 2 1/2 8 shot Dove and Quail 25 shells

.32 cal Short Colt 80 grn Lead 43 rounds (unsure if reloads or new)

44/40 Win. Up to 100 rounds (unsure if reloads or new, and 2 styles of bullets - 50 of each)

IMG_20141216_105902155_zpst0aorj1w.jpg

The rifle rounds - (some boxes may have a few brass only with or without new primers but not many and there appears to be two or more different styles of bullets used in some calibers)

8x57mm Mauser up to 140 rounds

IMG_20141216_102708894_zps0fed2d6u.jpg

30-40 Krag up to 80 rounds

IMG_20141216_103202393_zps5bemc42m.jpg

.30 cal M2 19 rounds

IMG_20141216_103603254_zpsk4clrndo.jpg

.30 cal Remington up to 22 rounds

IMG_20141216_103843527_zps4khhnt5u.jpg

300 Savage up to 60 rounds

IMG_20141216_104407571_zps05ayhaqx.jpg

This is a weird one for me...... not sure why someone would purposely make a "squib" load, but here's 39 rounds of 'em in 300 Magnum

IMG_20141216_104721886_zpsgaddi4nt.jpg

35 Remington up to 80 rounds (majority are the jacketed one)

IMG_20141216_105230043_zpsjpcpydfd.jpg

Lastly, 8mm Lebel just one round and 10 casings.

IMG_20141216_110320966_zpsqiywnldq.jpg

Last edited:
Wow. Cool find. Sounds like he would have been a fun guy to hang out with.

The only thing that looks like I might be able to use would be the .32 shorts. I'm holding onto an old H&R for a buddy.

I was thinking the squibs might have been to fire form some brass, but I didn't think you actually used a projectile, just primer, powder, and a wad of sorts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squib_load

Hard to say, maybe he used them for training.

At the range, if one of us was shooting, my Pops would reload what-ever rifle we were shooting and slip in an spent casing. If you anticipated the recoil, it was pretty obvious when the hammer fell on that spent casing. It was one of his favorite things to do. :)

Hypoid I love doing that. I use the plastic dummy rounds. But achieves same thing. Great way to find flaws and force clears/reloads.

Dummy and Squib by firearm definitions are two totally different things. Dummy will do exactly nothing. From what I looked up, a squib is a one where it either got a light powder load or a partial burn and sent the bullet into the barrel but it lacks the energy to clear the barrel, requiring the shooter to use a rod and pound out the bullet.

I don't think "squib" rounds were ever used for mis-fire training rounds.

These in particular that I have here, have primers, a bit of powder and a light cast bullet, either a very light lead, or aluminum. Clearly to go off with a much reduced bang and send a projectile out..... but to force a jam in the barrel? Or to make it through and out?

Homemade training round? Anything is possible, but sure seems like a lot of work to have to clear a barrel in a .300 rifle (usually bolt action and what, less than 5-6 rounds if it has a magazine?)...... what would you be training? Clearing a squib before having to possibly do one out hunting? :dunno:

Anyway, carry on! Interesting stuff........

We still need to do a naxja shoot day sometime......:thumbup:

Well........... Lets plan one for the spring time!! :exclamati:exclamati:exclamati:exclamati

:gee:

I have a membership at Lead Valley. It's a bit of a drive, but restrictions are pretty minimal, as long as you're safe. First two guests are free, and I think it's five bucks a head past that.

Did some more shooting yesterday. Was trying to complete the movement. From holster. 3 shots on target approx 8-9yrds out. Scored by speed vs points missed.
My target looked alright.
image_zps6ec5abac.jpg

Did some more shooting yesterday. Was trying to complete the movement. From holster. 3 shots on target approx 8-9yrds out. Scored by speed vs points missed.
My target looked alright.
image_zps6ec5abac.jpg

My scores. Best at 2.2 seconds.
image_zpsf8e2491b.jpg

I had NO idea DJ was a gun nut.........

Last edited:
Was that just posing or did you actually shoot anything? Looks like you need a better scope as you missed everything.... :D

Haha, the paper targets are for plinking from the 100 yd slot. Those did get shot up eventually. I am at 750 yds with the .338 RUM, firing ridge to ridge. The wind makes the round do some crazy stuff coming up the ridge. I am actually taking aim here to let some loose. The ears are on my legs because I could not get a decent cheek weld otherwise, so I just have some foam in. If you really squint you can see the peppering on the steel targets...............:laugh3:

Back