• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

GM 5.3/4L60E/Klune/Stak 300

He was climbing out of a ravine and it cracked off the front output half. So far they are claiming to replace it before seeing it in person. they say we are number 10 that broke a case out of 10,000 that have been built the others cases were broken by rock racers.

You got pics of this? Sounds to me like the driveshaft bottomed or something, but I'm not real sure what the break looks like from your description. Jeff

Nice, I like how the crack is completely vertical relative to the case half.

Makes me think that it is a configuration thing versus the case being over-stressed per se. Maybe I'm out on a limb with that idea?

You'll probably be just fine with the crossmember mounted the way you have it, but you're wrong that the long arms are just going to push & pull the crossmember in the shear plane you have. It would only be true if your mounts were perfectly in line with the mounting bolts. The control arms will try to twist the crossmember up & down along with pushing it back & forth (your currant shear plane). It's the up / down twisting of the control arms that will bend the flat tab mounts.

the drive shaft is short if anything. My guess is that he is still running 3.54 gears and the t case is 5 to 1 so the tcase is trying to twist itself apart. I have seen the same thing happen to 300's. try this link
http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareEx...5815&photoid=617088166603&collid=661568166603

WOW!!! I don't know what to say about that breakage except IMPRESSIVE! Obviously the t-case was well protected by the skid plate, so it didn't take a hit. It doesn't look like the driveshaft collapsed. Seems like the only other forces are those from INSIDE. Still, it's kind of hard to understand how this could have happened. BTW, what's with the tranny mount you guys came up with? It looks like a stock XJ tranny mount bolted to a secondary plate that is bolted to the crossmember with rubber bushings. Oh yeah, that looks like Beezils old rig in the background. Do you store that thing in your building shown in the pics? One more thing, it looks like you've got more snow than we do!!! The lakes are pretty much all frozen over up here now though. Folks have been ice fishing. Jeff

The lower trans mount came with the t case adapter from A/A. On top of that is a gm 350 trans mount to keep the motor level. I recently bought Beezils rig and have had it out a few times already. We had 2 inches of snow but as of this writing it is 37 degrees and melting. Waitng for more later today sno plow time $$$$ future jeep upgrades

You'll probably be just fine with the crossmember mounted the way you have it, but you're wrong that the long arms are just going to push & pull the crossmember in the shear plane you have. It would only be true if your mounts were perfectly in line with the mounting bolts. The control arms will try to twist the crossmember up & down along with pushing it back & forth (your currant shear plane). It's the up / down twisting of the control arms that will bend the flat tab mounts.

Alright, Matt told me I was wrong! :) I do understand what you are saying about the up/down component of the control arm force. I think the current setup will withstand that force, but I may add the brackets and additional bolts I mentioned earlier just to be on the safe side. Thanks for the input. Jeff

I believe that's correct. So Matt, were you hittin the sauce last night? :) I don't know if my Jeep kicks ass or not, I think it's a pile o crap in the way of getting a real car in the garage and I'll be surprised if it ever runs! Jeff

I believe that's correct. So Matt, were you hittin the sauce last night? :) I don't know if my Jeep kicks ass or not, I think it's a pile o crap in the way of getting a real car in the garage and I'll be surprised if it ever runs! Jeff

No sauce, just facts. The level of detail going into your rig is bad ass & Beezil is a tranny...

Bob,
This would be a kick ass color scheme, but you've got to get the stickers for it too.

bowflex-extreme-se.jpg

Hey Jeff, no worky on the rig this past weekend?

I'm going into withdrawal waiting for über XJ build pr0n!

LOL

Christmas can a b!tch to get into the garage, huh? Same here.

I drove to Fargo, ND last weekend! :) FUN FUN. :) My Niece is attending college in Moorhead and she had a choral concert going on that we all went to see. I doubt I'll go back any time soon. I'm working on lower control arms. I've got their mounts built (crossmember and axle) but nothing's in position yet. 40.5" long. I think the arms on my last rig were something like 35" long. I'm a bit afraid these will be too long, but I know others have had arms that long before and I've got to keep in mind that the axle is forward more on this rig. I'm welding RE joints to 1.5" x .188 DOM tubing then slipping that tubing into 2" x .25" wall DOM tubing and welding the tube together. I think the arms will be strong but heavy. Jeff

Jeff, I have to agree that while your crossmember mounts look pretty good, I'd add a little to it. I agree with Sponge Bob's idea of simply adding a gusset to the tabs, going to the frame, and I really like your idea of of a few more tabs and bolts in the different plane which would really add to the strength and resist twisting.

I have that beefy Rigworks belly pan, and don't have any arms attached to it, and it's secured with 3 bolts per side, yet it still tries to move around and the bolts get loose after almost every run. When I had it over to Rigwerks for some more fab work, they finished the belly pan install by adding two more bolts per side at the rear of the belly pan, so now it has 5 bolts per side.

With what you're trying to do, I think you'd be happy with just a little more beef.

Back