• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gauging interest for a VW TDI Jeep swap kit...

Derail this thread? Ha no ones talking about the swap just pointing fingers at me and saying shit. Um 23 and i go to college and still afford toys and work fulltime. So yes give me a cookie. So lets act like mature adults and drop my v8 cherokee and my so called "attitude" that you people have created and get on with the thread. If you wanna start a hate thread about me and want to argue all the time i would glad to drop in the thread and retort all day long about my jeep and my attitude.

Honestly if your going to do the swap of a diesel why not just build a stroker 4.0 or put a v8 since everyone else has adapters and painless wiring kits. Why go through the hassle of swapping in something in that hasnt been proven? other then the fact no one has done it.

Honestly if your going to do the swap of a diesel why not just build a stroker 4.0 or put a v8 since everyone else has adapters and painless wiring kits. Why go through the hassle of swapping in something in that hasnt been proven? other then the fact no one has done it.

Im kind of with you here, but i have never/will never be opposed to the idea of something new being offered for our xj's. Stroker 4.0's, V8's...Its all been done before and we know what can't and what can be done with them. Lets start looking at what other options we have available and keep an open mind.Personally the idea of a fuel efficient, torque filled, Internal combustion option seems good to me.

Look retards, what's the title of this thread? is it:

a) I want a different engine, what should I swap in?

b) What's the best diesel to put in an XJ?

or

c) Gauging interest for a VW TDI Jeep swap kit

The answer is "C." :looser:

If you don't want one, say so or just move on. Don't argue about strokers or v8 swaps here.!!!1

Look retards, what's the title of this thread? is it:

a) I want a different engine, what should I swap in?

b) What's the best diesel to put in an XJ?

or

c) Gauging interest for a VW TDI Jeep swap kit

The answer is "C." :looser:

If you don't want one, say so or just move on. Don't argue about strokers or v8 swaps here.!!!1

x2

Derail this thread? Ha no ones talking about the swap just pointing fingers at me and saying shit.
Yeah. Since you waltzed in here and made an ass of yourself. This is known as derailing a thread.

Um 23 and i go to college and still afford toys and work fulltime. So yes give me a cookie. So lets act like mature adults and drop my v8 cherokee and my so called "attitude" that you people have created and get on with the thread. If you wanna start a hate thread about me and want to argue all the time i would glad to drop in the thread and retort all day long about my jeep and my attitude.
mature adults? who can't spell two letter words like "I'm"? And waltz into threads and derail them with nonsense, then tell everyone else to be mature? Also, no cookie for you !!!1

Done with this. There is a feature on the forums for dealing with this, I'm not bothering to reply to your nonsense anymore.

Semi on topic... how do you design an engine/transmission adapter for an application that's never been done before? I've always been curious and this seems as good a place to ask as any, do you just very carefully measure locations of bolts and such, CAD up a plate that adapts the two, then design or customize a flywheel+flex plate that will connect the required transmission or torque converter to the engine output shaft? How do you make sure you've got the bolt holes for the transmission and the bolt holes for the engine centered around the same axis? If I tried to do that, I'd probably end up with a perfectly designed adapter for bolting the two together with just enough offset between the input and output shafts that it would never work.

theres a guy on youtube with a 4bt in his cherokee
shity video

engine bay http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qutHw8HEemA

driving http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFpmDOq6rfk

stay away from foreign junk

your right flexd i did build it myself. Who can prove not?

61 scout I dont care what vehicle you own it will have problems eventually new or used. 61 scout your point is very true about putting money back in the economy. The problem is other countries can make vehicle that are cheap and pay people to build them for cheap and are successful, but americans get paid alot of money to build and has a reletively good success and the price is jacked alot more then the foreign shit, other then the exception of bmw and a few others. Member the kia deal, buy one get one free? They did that so when the one car breaks you can take the parts off the other one.

O another addition to the foreign swap list a turbo wankel rotary.

You trust anyone on the internet makes you pretty stupid.
Once again they wont drop it. Back on subject.

About the vw swap the 4bt is a less bulshit swap and easier to upgrade then the vw motor. Enough said we could talk endlessly about this intil someone spends the money and does it. Thread is pretty much over other then the ones that feel they need to prove there self.

Derail this thread? Ha no ones talking about the swap just pointing fingers at me and saying shit. Um 23 and i go to college and still afford toys and work fulltime. So yes give me a cookie. So lets act like mature adults and drop my v8 cherokee and my so called "attitude" that you people have created and get on with the thread. If you wanna start a hate thread about me and want to argue all the time i would glad to drop in the thread and retort all day long about my jeep and my attitude.

Four times in one thread! This is an open forum please control your mouth, oh sorry I forgot, apparently you can't.

I know that a guy I work with would definately be interested in a kit, he drives a jetta TDI and he LOVES IT! I am too cheap for something like that, although I think it would be kinda cool.

Semi on topic... how do you design an engine/transmission adapter for an application that's never been done before? I've always been curious and this seems as good a place to ask as any, do you just very carefully measure locations of bolts and such, CAD up a plate that adapts the two, then design or customize a flywheel+flex plate that will connect the required transmission or torque converter to the engine output shaft? How do you make sure you've got the bolt holes for the transmission and the bolt holes for the engine centered around the same axis? If I tried to do that, I'd probably end up with a perfectly designed adapter for bolting the two together with just enough offset between the input and output shafts that it would never work.

My cousin works with a dude who is doing a 4bt swap into his TJ. He is having and adapter plate made so He can bolt an AX15 to it. The AX15 seems to be what most Jeep guys bolt to the 4bt. They make a kit for a TDI swap into the Sammy/sidekicks so I am willing to bet it can work in an XJ.

Um um um.. der...

Best response in the entire thread! :roflmao:

Um bottom line is it wont work unless you have alot of money and time and I dont know many people that have either one to dump money in a project that may not come out right. So you can um "gauge interest" all you want chances are its not going to happen unless you have an unlimited bank account, no job and alot of friends and resources. I understand um what you guys are wanting a torquey fuel efficient jeep. You can um get that with the 4.0l stroker there getting what low 20's mpg depending on gearing and tire size. The same with an ls1 swap there getting low 20's mpg. So why dont you just go with what works and "gauge interest" on something that is ideal and doable instead of something that wont work and makes less power then other swaps?

Um bottom line is it wont work unless you have alot of money and time and I dont know many people that have either one to dump money in a project that may not come out right. So you can um "gauge interest" all you want chances are its not going to happen unless you have an unlimited bank account, no job and alot of friends and resources. I understand um what you guys are wanting a torquey fuel efficient jeep. You can um get that with the 4.0l stroker there getting what low 20's mpg depending on gearing and tire size. The same with an ls1 swap there getting low 20's mpg. So why dont you just go with what works and "gauge interest" on something that is ideal and doable instead of something that wont work and makes less power then other swaps?

Because we like diesel?
Sometimes being different is fun...

sometimes being different is very expensive you mean.

I know all about the diesel. I drive a cummins 98.5 24valve 5speed daily with severel mods and i love it. It would a be a blast to have a turbo diesel in a cherokee but it would be way to much bulshit to make it work.

check out this diesel jeep
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh45CBDc5iw

Last edited:
I will be doing this swap soon as I stated with a toyota tranny any one that bolts up to a 22r will work. I figure to have about $4000 in my swap. Less weight than the 4bt the ls motor and the stroker. My goal is 300 lbs of torque and 30+ MPG. BS try doing some research before you spout your mouth. Very doable I did a sidekick swao that got 40 MPG. Massive amount of aftermarket for the VW probably more than the 4bt. I have been tinkering with the VW diesel for many years and have seen some real demons in car and 4x4s. The 4bt has vibrations problems weight is an issue and flat out size.

i can spout my mouth all i want everyone has the right to speak there mind; research or not.

Again run your mouth all you want talking about doing the swap. Words and time arnt cheap buddy. I would like to see someone do it. I dont think youll get 30mpg. Good luck.

i can spout my mouth all i want everyone has the right to speak there mind; research or not.

Again run your mouth all you want talking about doing the swap. Words and time arnt cheap buddy. I would like to see someone do it. I dont think youll get 30mpg. Good luck.

has anyone nominated this turd yet? Guess I will.

ptk: go mouth off else ware and quick clogging up tech threads.

has anyone nominated this turd yet? Guess I will.

ptk: go mouth off else ware and quick clogging up tech threads.

I did 2 days ago. We need to have someone clean this thread up. Raiser, I wanna a see this swap sounds cool make sure you post up a build thread.

Likewise. I've solved the problem for myself either way.

All this talk of adapters and such makes me wish I still had access to CNC milling machines.

All this talk of adapters and such makes me wish I still had access to CNC milling machines.

Yeah those are always nice! My CNC machines aren't set up for that type of thing though!

Im trying to give other options and giving blunt honest opinion on this swap.

I think it would be a great swap. My v8 xj gets 11mpg with a bad oxy sensor. If you could get 25mpg it would be a god send. But it would just be cheaper to buy another vehicle and save your money or spend it on necessities to get you through the trail (gears, winch, bumpers, tires, lift) and or just by a tow vehicle for that matter. Even if you did do the swap and planned to get rid of it you would loss your ass on it. Gotta look down the road also.

Back