• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gauging interest for a VW TDI Jeep swap kit...

XJ92TDI

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone...(obviously) I'm new here, but I'm just trying to gauge interest in parts to swap a VW TDI into a jeep. I've got a 92 XJ (hence the name) that I will be using to prototype the initial transmission adapter and motor mounts, but would like feedback from other jeepers as to what they are looking for. Obviously, it's a long list for a swap like this, so right now, I'd just like to get an idea of how many people would be interested, and for which models of Jeeps, which transmissions and the engines they would be replacing. I will also be posting on some other sites as well, so if you respond here, please don't respond to the others as well, I'd like to get an honest idea. I figure, there's nothing better than 4 wheeling, except being able to 'wheel more often because you are spending half as much money on fuel!
Thanks,
Sean

i would definitely be interested. i have an '89 that i am going to be building up, and it has a leaky Renix 4.0, and AW4 and 242 right now

Hey everyone...(obviously) I'm new here, but I'm just trying to gauge interest in parts to swap a VW TDI into a jeep. I've got a 92 XJ (hence the name) that I will be using to prototype the initial transmission adapter and motor mounts, but would like feedback from other jeepers as to what they are looking for. Obviously, it's a long list for a swap like this, so right now, I'd just like to get an idea of how many people would be interested, and for which models of Jeeps, which transmissions and the engines they would be replacing. I will also be posting on some other sites as well, so if you respond here, please don't respond to the others as well, I'd like to get an honest idea. I figure, there's nothing better than 4 wheeling, except being able to 'wheel more often because you are spending half as much money on fuel!
Thanks,
Sean

TDI FTMFW! I plan to get a Jetta TDI to use as my commuter.

But an XJ TDI would be absolutely amazing. Just give me 25mpg and 250 pounds of torque and i will be happy as a clam.

I have an '06 TDI and have thought about doing this conversion to my '94 XJ. Some previous comments regarding this conversion indicated that the turbo lag may not be a great thing for 4 wheeling but I don't know if they were speaking from experience or hypothetically. The biggest issue I can foresee is the electronics. Perhaps Painless Wiring has or can make a harness???

ROKTAXI -

I was going to start with getting a complete front clip, and modify the OEM harness to fit, and then from there can build a custom harness that I would include as part of the whole conversion kit, if I get enough positive response. As for turbo lag, the current 2.0TDI makes peak torque at 1700rpm, and that's 236ft-lb. Even the Jeep 4.0 doesn't do that.

But an XJ TDI would be absolutely amazing. Just give me 25mpg and 250 pounds of torque and i will be happy as a clam.

I don't know about the 25 mpg but it'd be better than a 4.0!

I'm looking at a Golf TDI today and might get it for that same reason.

Or on the other hand I'd like a diesel Dodge to pull the Jeep with! :D

Well if you can afford a tow vehicle, I'd keep a 4.0 in the jeep...In my case, my jeep is also a daily driver...well, part time. It splits shifts with a mustang...because the mustang gets better gas mileage. But even a stock 2.0TDI can make close to the 250ft-lb, and if it can't get over 25mpg on the highway, I'd call the swap a failure, because it shouldn't lose 15+mpg going to an SUV that weighs about the same...

I'd be super interested.

My 10 year build plan includes a 6 speed out of a wrangler and some type of diesel.

I would be interested if it could be attached to an AX15

Prindle mfg. did a 05 liberty crd into a 96 cherokee and it came out clean. sadi it gets about 23 miles to the gallon. but it has 31's, 4.5 inch lift and 3.73's. you can tweak a vw tdi to push out more. bully dog makes intake kits, injectors, and computer tuning. I'd be interestede to see it done to help me an idea on the tdi i want to build.

SO what year VW motors will you be working with and what tranny will you be bolting it to? If it were the aw-4/ax-15 then I'd say a lot of people would be intrested in it. Problem is making it reasonably priced.

I have a 96 passat tdi (its one UGLY car) but it gets 40 mpg around town and I was able to get 54mpg between VA and NJ doing 60-80 the entire time. The thought of putting that engine in my 96 XJ has crossed my mind many times, but then I'd need to buy a 3rd car to use to get around with durring the swap.

A WVO kit ontop of that would be perfect.

Back