• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gauging interest for a VW TDI Jeep swap kit...

Just buy a TDI and tow your XJ, I know people that tow small boats with TDI's and still get over 30mpg

Other than that, better off wioth a CRD or Cummins 4BT swap. Those should net mid 20s+

The 4bt Manche with big tires (35s?) claims 21mpg I think.

We could maybe get 25 if it was geared correctly, and didnt use the aw4.

Meh... i think if it was geared right it may get more if its was say a 4.10/31" tire combo. Not worth the effort to me. I'll just go with stroker and a 3/4 ton Dodge to pull it and a TDI to drive around too......oh wait i'm dreaming again.

I have been throwing around a toyota tranny and a cmputerized chipped injectors 1.9 in a cherokee. I did this in a sidekick and hit high 30s for mileage I was thinking low 30s with an xj

I have been throwing around a toyota tranny and a cmputerized chipped injectors 1.9 in a cherokee. I did this in a sidekick and hit high 30s for mileage I was thinking low 30s with an xj

What engine are you talking about?

If it has anything to do with diesel, me waaant.

Meh... i think if it was geared right it may get more if its was say a 4.10/31" tire combo. Not worth the effort to me. I'll just go with stroker and a 3/4 ton Dodge to pull it and a TDI to drive around too......oh wait i'm dreaming again.

The whole point of the diesel XJ is to have the best of all of them!! towing power, mpg AND 4x4. :loveu:

What color was that 4bt manche? At the Pittsburgh's Vintage Gran Prix this year I talked to a guy w/ a yellow manche with a sequential tt 4bt--was bad@$$(I think Nick took a photo)! I recall him saying it was something like 500lb-ft. and the engine weighing 750lbs.
P7180021.jpg

P7180022.jpg

P7180023.jpg

Last edited:
make it attach to a aw4!

I would be interested if it could be attached to an AX15

Those would be my transmissions of choice auto, manual respectively. It may be involved to get the electronically controlled trans to work with this. :dunno:

What color was that 4bt manche?

I am due for another diesel swap [for a DD] :D , on the fence about which vehicle tho.

Initially I was thinking 4BT into a Grand Waggy (4BT and Waggy have been sitting for 3 years now, haha), but after recently picking up an XJ I have been throwing around the idea of an XJ instead (I would find a high mileage one with nice body and interior, all work would be mechanical, while Grand Waggy would require extensive body and interior work).

The biggest problem I see is the height of the 4BT, it was no problem getting one into my CJ (SOA with 1" body lift), but the XJ may be a bit more difficult creating clearance between the front axle and hood, a fellow on the 4BT forum is working on a XJ swap right now and suggests at least a 3" lift, I would like to keep it as close to stock height as possible.

I just did a quick search, this guy sells adapters for TDI to Toy transmissions, http://www.acmeadapters.com/store_engine.php fairly reasonable IMO, I am curious how much good TDI motors go for (with computer?), if the Toy trans is decent and either has a drivers side drop T-case, or one can be bolted to it, could be a nice way to go. :read:

The whole point of the diesel XJ is to have the best of all of them!! towing power, mpg AND 4x4. :loveu:

Oh i understand but the logistics of putting a TDI motor in an XJ doesn't sound fun when I can just get a TDI jetta and a Cummins Dodge! :D

I just did a quick search, this guy sells adapters for TDI to Toy transmissions, http://www.acmeadapters.com/store_engine.php fairly reasonable IMO, I am curious how much good TDI motors go for (with computer?), if the Toy trans is decent and either has a drivers side drop T-case, or one can be bolted to it, could be a nice way to go. :read:

Don't forget our loved AW4 was used in quite a few Toyota's. It is the A340 family of toyota transmissions.

Last edited:
Well if you can afford a tow vehicle, I'd keep a 4.0 in the jeep...In my case, my jeep is also a daily driver...well, part time. It splits shifts with a mustang...because the mustang gets better gas mileage. But even a stock 2.0TDI can make close to the 250ft-lb, and if it can't get over 25mpg on the highway, I'd call the swap a failure, because it shouldn't lose 15+mpg going to an SUV that weighs about the same...

Well for highway, drag is what matters. Still, since some people get 25mpg on the highway with a manual and 2.5L gasser, I'd think 25mpg on diesel is doable.

I also have a '98 Jetta TDI, and go hang out on a TDI forum. Here's their TDI conversions page. The older you go, the more user friendly the conversion will be.

That being said, the AHU family of engine (96-99.5?) 1.9l seems to be the one most commonly used. Stock, it's only 90hp / 140 ft lbs, but has lots of potential.

Steve

I also have a '98 Jetta TDI, and go hang out on a TDI forum. Here's their TDI conversions page. The older you go, the more user friendly the conversion will be.

That being said, the AHU family of engine (96-99.5?) 1.9l seems to be the one most commonly used. Stock, it's only 90hp / 140 ft lbs, but has lots of potential.

Steve

Finding one does not seem too easy. This is the cheapest whole car I found, if only an engine was found I would still need a computer, correct? http://newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/1427928055.html

99.5+ is the TDI, no? I wonder how difficult wiring would be, my 4BT runs on a single wire. :D

I think the TDI (turbo, direct injection) started in '96. That link looks to be a pretty sweet deal. That's considered a Gen IV (1999.5), and those are way low miles. The 5 speed would be preferred, in that there isn't a computer/tranny communication to deal with. You'd want the computer for sure, but reading about some of the other conversions (4 runner, Samurai, etc...) it doesn't seem too bad.

I'm in the process of finishing a VW 1.9TD (AAZ, IDI not TDI) into my '86 Cherokee. I've added the larger turbo from the 1.6TD and GTD nozzles from Bosio. That should give some decent power right from the get go. Next will come intercooler and ARP headbolts. VW tuners are getting these older IDI engines to 150HP and 200ft-lbs and still claiming in the 40s for mpg. I'm sure the XJ won't get that, but 20s or even 30s should be totally doable. Myself, I'm not looking for that kind of power just yet, but 100-110HP and maybe 150-160ft-lb should be a walk in the park for this engine. Best of all, the IDI is much better for WVO...and no ECU or crazy electronics to worry about. I got mine out of a '96 Passat. With rebuild it was only $1250. Not a bad deal at all. Anyway, based on my own lengthy research, I think the older IDI is the way to go unless you want to get knee deep in electronics. Although, you could get a m-TDI pump and put it on the ALH or AHU or 1ZU and toss most of the electronics out the window. Cost will be more, of course. Either way, I've found parts to be plentiful and pretty reasonably priced... certainly compared to the 2.1L Renault that was in my XJ before...which was stock. What a pain in the a**!

You got to have a final cost to really know. If the swap is cost effective.
As for HP a 4.6 is making 250 HP and if it's a home grown engine the cost can be hard to beat,
If it's MPG you are after. Think about how long you would take to just recover the cost of the swap and do you really want to put that kind of cash into a Jeep that is at least 8 years old?
Just doing my part by stomping all over someone dreams.

You got to have a final cost to really know. If the swap is cost effective.
As for HP a 4.6 is making 250 HP and if it's a home grown engine the cost can be hard to beat,
If it's MPG you are after. Think about how long you would take to just recover the cost of the swap and do you really want to put that kind of cash into a Jeep that is at least 8 years old?
Just doing my part by stomping all over someone dreams.

you also have to consider how long you plan on owning the jeep, by doing a diesel swap you are future proofing it, there should always be some sort of fuel available to run a diesel engine

For diesel power+mileage+4x4 I recommend a Ram with Cummins Turbo Diesel.
And a 4BT should get mid 20's at least in an XJ.

Back